Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

Re: This years Vikings: Shades of last years Saints?

"The" wrote:
    I'd been thinking along these same lines for a while, and that the only thing missing was some kind of tragedy in the city (and obviously hoping that part would never happen). Well, now the TC's have a tragedy too. The patterns are beginning to become a bit eerie.

Creeping me out.

The Dropper,

I was going to post the same thing, after reading the opening thread....New Orleans I believe, played with alot of heart and sole also, trying to give back a big positive to a community that was devistated by the Katrina Hurricane.

Now, looking at this past weeks tragedy of the I--35 bridge collapse in MN. I"m sure the Vikings will be saying a prayer for all those who had been devestated by this tragic accident, and hit the field with all that much more pride and a feeling of
    " We are here to win it all for you people of MN "

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

Json is offline GM

The year prior to hurricane Katrina didn't the saints have a pretty decent record?
    Atleast 8-8 if I'm not mistaken.
    The way I see it was that New Orleans never had a horrible team to begin with but after the hurricane hit and the season began they where in a state of shock, and very stressed about all the crazyness Katrina brought.
    No place to really call home for the entire season.
    So they end up having a dismal year and only win a few games putting them in a stellar position for the following season.
    Drafting Bush, bringing in Brees who played lights out last year, and Marques Colston stepping up, for a team that really was much better then the record they had the season before indicated.

Now with that said, I would love to see the Vikes turn out to be like the Saints last year besides the fact they missed the SB.
    The Vikings have a great chance to become something special if all the peices fall together as they did for the Saints, but truly Brees was the defining factor.
    Like somebody else suggested he's a proven winner.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"Json" wrote:
    The year prior to hurricane Katrina didn't the saints have a pretty decent record?
    Atleast 8-8 if I'm not mistaken.
    The way I see it was that New Orleans never had a horrible team to begin with but after the hurricane hit and the season began they where in a state of shock, and very stressed about all the crazyness Katrina brought.
    No place to really call home for the entire season.
    So they end up having a dismal year and only win a few games putting them in a stellar position for the following season.
    Drafting Bush, bringing in Brees who played lights out last year, and Marques Colston stepping up, for a team that really was much better then the record they had the season before indicated.

Now with that said, I would love to see the Vikes turn out to be like the Saints last year besides the fact they missed the SB.
    The Vikings have a great chance to become something special if all the peices fall together as they did for the Saints, but truly Brees was the defining factor.
    Like somebody else suggested he's a proven winner.
    Au contrere, mon frere!
    The Saints were not even the same team from two years ago...Payton had changed over half of the roster after coming in as head coach.
    Payton deserves a lot of credit for the turnaround...with the acquisition of Brees as the defining factor...and the drafting of Bush as the icing on the cake.
    Actually, Payton deserves the MOST credit for bringing in players like Scott Fujita and Terrance Copper from the Cowboys roster to fill in the gaps.
    I hate that he came from the Cowturds staff...but he's one heck of a coach!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Well stranger things have happened in sport and you never really know how a team is going to react to a given situation. Without being too gushy then this might just put a spark under the team that goes get them going.
    I'd like to think that they'd play hard without something like this but a local focus may be something that helps focus their minds that little bit more. If they can get it together then maybe the state will finally realise what they have in their midst and the affection between both team and local fanbase.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"vikinggreg" wrote:
    The Saints were a better team then their record of 2 years ago; you can't over estimate the effects of the hurricane and the team spending the whole year on the road.
    Sure upgrades at QB and RB plus a late round rookie WR that exceeds expectations sure don’t hurt the new coach’s season.
    Ditka could almost have had a great season with that team last year; he just wouldn’t have gotten the QB and would have traded all his other picks to move up one spot to get Bush.
    ;D
    That is true, but I also think that the Vikings were a better team last year than our record showed.
    Granted, I have a hard time thinking that we will repeat their success, but I believe we will finish better this year.
    And anything can happen in this game, so have faith... ;D

In some thread about the new stadium I made a joking prediction of Minnesota being the #3 seed in the playoffs this year, winning two games (one at home) just to lose to NO in the NFC Championship... If it happens I would probably pooh myself, but I can dare to dream...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

No, and it's because of one position: Quarterback.

Saints: Drew Brees

Vikings: Tarvaris Jackson

No comparison there.

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

If T-Jack can play as well as Brees did last year, then sure, we can be as good.
    Don't count on it though.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Personally, I see very few similarities with the exception of the running game.
    The Saints have been a losing team since their inception in 1967.
    The Vikings have a winning legacy.
    I know you were just referring to last year, but I just don't see many similarities at all.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"cajunvike" wrote:
    "baumy300" wrote:
    I just go to thinking about it, we could end up like last years Saints. We are almost in the same boat.

Last years Saints were coming into the year with the number 2 overall pick in the draft, meaning they had one horrible record the year before. They had a new QB and a new head coach. Both had to install and learn a new system. They Had a worse defense than us, and between Deuce McAllister and Joe Horn, really had no offensive weapons. Enter the rookies.

Reggie Bush and late round surprise Marques Colston both gave the Saints the boost they needed. Sure, the Saints got a better QB in free agency last year, but T-Jack is a whole different type of player than Brees. He will be average at the least, if not flat out good.

Rookies can have huge impacts at certain positions like RB and WR. Moss, Bush, Norwood, Jones-Drew, Colston, Carnell Williams, and a bunch of others had huge rookie seasons at these positions, and the way I see it, with our line, Peterson should too.

Allison is sounding great, Lowber seems to be making good progress, and Rice should be solid. 3 young WR's and T-Will should help Jackson or at least take the NFL by surprise if they pan out how we think.

Our defense as I mentioned earlier, is in far better shape than New Orleans was last year, and our RB combination is almost tops in the league already. (Even if they haven't played a game yet.) We know our line is solid, and untouchable on the left, so basically, if our passing game can just play a notch above mediocre, we should be sitting good.

What do you guys think?

If New Orleans can take a new head coach, go from one of the worst records in the league, and rely on rookies to get one game away from the Super Bowl, why can't we?
    I HOPE SO!!!

BUT, the main difference is that the Saints got Drew Brees (whom we could have just as easily acquired), while we have a very talented, but largely untested second-year QB in TJack.
    I hope that TJack surprises us with a good season...but more than likely he is gonna take some lumps this season...I just hope not TOO MANY!
    Exactly

If we had gotten Brees and Peyton last year along with his scheme that players can understand by the time training camp is done, and if he would have brought the staff and players NO picked up, we could have been there last year.

The real test is time and whether NO can build on that early success or whether Childress,who was slow out of the gate,can gain momentum and become a stronger coach down the road.

sleepagent is offline Hall of Famer

The BIG question is why can't we . . .

#1.
    Get back into the Super Bowl

#2.
    Win the damn thing

Those are the two questions I would like to see answered.
    Maybe all this disappointment will turn around for us . . . now!

"No Greater Friend . . . No Worse Enemy. U.S. MARINES"
    "FIND YOUR PASSION AND MAKE IT HAPPEN!"
    "SUCCESS LOOKS EASY TO THOSE THAT WEREN'T THERE WHEN IT WAS BEING ACHIEVED!"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast