Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    baumy300 is offline Star Spokesman

This years Vikings: Shades of last years Saints?

I just go to thinking about it, we could end up like last years Saints. We are almost in the same boat.

Last years Saints were coming into the year with the number 2 overall pick in the draft, meaning they had one horrible record the year before. They had a new QB and a new head coach. Both had to install and learn a new system. They Had a worse defense than us, and between Deuce McAllister and Joe Horn, really had no offensive weapons. Enter the rookies.

Reggie Bush and late round surprise Marques Colston both gave the Saints the boost they needed. Sure, the Saints got a better QB in free agency last year, but T-Jack is a whole different type of player than Brees. He will be average at the least, if not flat out good.

Rookies can have huge impacts at certain positions like RB and WR. Moss, Bush, Norwood, Jones-Drew, Colston, Carnell Williams, and a bunch of others had huge rookie seasons at these positions, and the way I see it, with our line, Peterson should too.

Allison is sounding great, Lowber seems to be making good progress, and Rice should be solid. 3 young WR's and T-Will should help Jackson or at least take the NFL by surprise if they pan out how we think.

Our defense as I mentioned earlier, is in far better shape than New Orleans was last year, and our RB combination is almost tops in the league already. (Even if they haven't played a game yet.) We know our line is solid, and untouchable on the left, so basically, if our passing game can just play a notch above mediocre, we should be sitting good.

What do you guys think?

If New Orleans can take a new head coach, go from one of the worst records in the league, and rely on rookies to get one game away from the Super Bowl, why can't we?

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Re: This years Vikings: Shades of last years Saints?

"baumy300" wrote:
    I just go to thinking about it, we could end up like last years Saints. We are almost in the same boat.

Last years Saints were coming into the year with the number 2 overall pick in the draft, meaning they had one horrible record the year before. They had a new QB and a new head coach. Both had to install and learn a new system. They Had a worse defense than us, and between Deuce McAllister and Joe Horn, really had no offensive weapons. Enter the rookies.

Reggie Bush and late round surprise Marques Colston both gave the Saints the boost they needed. Sure, the Saints got a better QB in free agency last year, but T-Jack is a whole different type of player than Brees. He will be average at the least, if not flat out good.

Rookies can have huge impacts at certain positions like RB and WR. Moss, Bush, Norwood, Jones-Drew, Colston, Carnell Williams, and a bunch of others had huge rookie seasons at these positions, and the way I see it, with our line, Peterson should too.

Allison is sounding great, Lowber seems to be making good progress, and Rice should be solid. 3 young WR's and T-Will should help Jackson or at least take the NFL by surprise if they pan out how we think.

Our defense as I mentioned earlier, is in far better shape than New Orleans was last year, and our RB combination is almost tops in the league already. (Even if they haven't played a game yet.) We know our line is solid, and untouchable on the left, so basically, if our passing game can just play a notch above mediocre, we should be sitting good.

What do you guys think?

If New Orleans can take a new head coach, go from one of the worst records in the league, and rely on rookies to get one game away from the Super Bowl, why can't we?
    I HOPE SO!!!

BUT, the main difference is that the Saints got Drew Brees (whom we could have just as easily acquired), while we have a very talented, but largely untested second-year QB in TJack.
    I hope that TJack surprises us with a good season...but more than likely he is gonna take some lumps this season...I just hope not TOO MANY!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

"baumy300" wrote:

What do you guys think?

Because we are a Minnesota team, there for we have terrible luck
    ;D

I'll judge the Saints this year and see if they're a legitimate team, last year's play off push was partially fueled by the Saints drive to bring some joy to the city of New Orleans after Katrina - at least to a small extent

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

The Dropper is offline Star Spokesman

I'd been thinking along these same lines for a while, and that the only thing missing was some kind of tragedy in the city (and obviously hoping that part would never happen). Well, now the TC's have a tragedy too. The patterns are beginning to become a bit eerie.

Creeping me out.

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

"The" wrote:
    I'd been thinking along these same lines for a while, and that the only thing missing was some kind of tragedy in the city (and obviously hoping that part would never happen). Well, now the TC's have a tragedy too. The patterns are beginning to become a bit eerie.

Creeping me out.
    lol, i was waiting for someone to say that, god i love how superstitious sports makes us

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

baumy300 is offline Star Spokesman

"The" wrote:

Creeping me out.
    Yeah...That is the very unfortunate part.

I guess, as bad as this sounds, is it the beginning of a good football run? I don't know.

I hope so. All the pieces are falling into place in our theory I guess, but I would rather have a losing season than a tragedy like that....

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

That souns fine to me as long as we win the super bowl.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Maybe cause we don't have their head coach?
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"baumy300" wrote:
    They didn't really rely on "rookies", as you say.
    Two rookies made significant contributions, for sure, but the main difference in the Saints of 05 and the Saints of 06 was Drew Brees.
    A proven winner at QB.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame

The Saints were a better team then their record of 2 years ago; you can't over estimate the effects of the hurricane and the team spending the whole year on the road.
    Sure upgrades at QB and RB plus a late round rookie WR that exceeds expectations sure don’t hurt the new coach’s season.
    Ditka could almost have had a great season with that team last year; he just wouldn’t have gotten the QB and would have traded all his other picks to move up one spot to get Bush.
    ;D

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast