Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Yahoo sports prediction on Vikes

I really don't know that you can blame the coaching staff. It isn't so much a late season thing as it was a mental thing. It was almost an exact repeat of the year before,. We play a not so good team -- the Giants -- get swacked and then begin to worry "Oh no, a repeat of last year." So the players panic as well as the coaching staff and everyone tried so hard to do everything right they become conservative in their approach and over amplified every mistake and they crashed and burned.
    It's kinds like the Williamson thing now. He's not catching passes and everyone says, it's nerves, rookie mistakes, etc.
    I really don't belive the Vikes have had the leadership they needed the last couple of years. Moss ran his mouth and the show. Now, through some trades and acquisitions, cooler heads and a lot of experience at winning come to the Vikings. I think that's gonna make a world of difference.
    The game that really bothers me is the second game of the season against the Bengels. I live in the Bengels area and they have everyone of their starters back from a season that was as good as the Vikes. I think that will be a real "watershed" game."
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Del Rio Guest

I think coaching hurt us bad.

I think they had a nasty habit of trying to be conservative to make up for the lacking run game. We get ahead and the coaches try to slow the game down and it screws us up.

You can say that for individual games as well as the season as a whole. It isn't balls to the wall football. It is get the lead and try to maintain. You can't pass well all game, get ahead and then expect to be able to run to control the clock.

You also cannot get a nice start on the season, then turn conservative in an attempt to control your destiny. You have to go all out the best way you can and let the chips fall where they do.

This has been a major problem for the Vikings for the last 10 years.

DaunteHOF is offline Coach

12-4 season will shut everyone up
    Its not braggin if you can do it!!!

vikesguy is offline Waterboy

F the Naysayers. Lets just prove them wrong.........SKOL Vikes.

mnjamie is offline Ring of Fame

Hey, i'm as upbeat as anyone on the season. But we do have a tough schedule this year on a bunch of away games.

2005 Schedule
    Date Opponent Time/Result
    Sep 11 Tampa Bay 1:00pm : win
    Sep 18 @Cincinnati 1:00pm : win, but tough game, away
    Sep 25 New Orleans 1:00pm : win
    Oct 2 @Atlanta 4:15pm : loss, away game, tough team
    Week 5 BYE
    Oct 16 @Chicago 1:00pm : win
    Oct 23 Green Bay 1:00pm : win
    Oct 30 @Carolina 1:00pm : loss, but tough game, close
    Nov 6 Detroit 1:00pm : win
    Nov 13 @N.Y. Giants 1:00pm : loss, aways loose @ Giants
    Nov 21 @Green Bay 9:00pm : loss, aways give 1of2 to the Pack
    Nov 27 Cleveland 1:00pm : win
    Dec 4 @Detroit 1:00pm : win
    Dec 11 St. Louis 1:00pm : win
    Dec 18 Pittsburgh 1:00pm : loss, but close, tough team
    Dec 25 @Baltimore 8:30pm : loss, always loose late, east coast
    Jan 1 Chicago 1:00pm : win

---- IMO, 10-6 and this is if we win both games against De-Toilet and Chicago. We USUALLY give another game away to either of these two teams. For us to have a better record, we have to break recent trends giving away easy games we should have won, by sweeping all 6 games against divisional foes.

----- Should win against the Giants, but our recent history proves otherwise.

All we can do is support them to no end and hope the injury bug avoids us. But now with Williamson medical issues and missing practices in T.C. and Smoot having all these neck and knee issues, just going to need some luck also going into the season keeping everyone healthy. SKOL VIKES !!

magicci is offline Jersey Retired

we havent won a game in chicage in like 4 years.

UkViking is offline Rookie

"magicci" wrote:
    we havent won a game in chicage in like 4 years.
    WE WILL THIS CAMPAIGN :wink: I reckon a 12-4 season is in this Vikings.
    Fly the colour Purple,and fly it high!

canadian_vikes_fan is offline Hall of Famer

It's a long season. Sure, on paper, we look like a team that can go 12-4 and win the Super Bowl, but things rarely go as planned. If we go 9-7 and win the division I'm happy. Because we can beat anybody.

But I think it would be wrong to expect 12 wins. What happens if we have injuries? What happens if some people have disappointing years? (And I can guarantee you, not ALL of our pickups can end up working out perfectly like you guys think). Somebody is gonna be a bust.

We do have a lot of depth all-around and I think that's our biggest asset. Let's just watch and see. I wouldn't be mad with anyone who predicts that the Vikings will win their division.

Thanks PPE for the sig.

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    I really don't know that you can blame the coaching staff. It isn't so much a late season thing as it was a mental thing. It was almost an exact repeat of the year before,. We play a not so good team -- the Giants -- get swacked and then begin to worry "Oh no, a repeat of last year." So the players panic as well as the coaching staff and everyone tried so hard to do everything right they become conservative in their approach and over amplified every mistake and they crashed and burned.
    It's kinds like the Williamson thing now. He's not catching passes and everyone says, it's nerves, rookie mistakes, etc.
    I really don't belive the Vikes have had the leadership they needed the last couple of years. Moss ran his mouth and the show. Now, through some trades and acquisitions, cooler heads and a lot of experience at winning come to the Vikings. I think that's gonna make a world of difference.
    The game that really bothers me is the second game of the season against the Bengels. I live in the Bengels area and they have everyone of their starters back from a season that was as good as the Vikes. I think that will be a real "watershed" game."

the correct answer for these late season fades is bad coaching.

in tice's first season 6-10 , not great . first season jitters , no problem . i'll cut ya some slack .

2nd season , vikings come flying outta the gate at 6-0. anybody want to venture a guess as far as the final record for the unstoppable vikings? 9-7 . now how does a team that wins six in a row lose the next 7 outta 10? ahhhh , it was a fluke . the players got tired . the first 6 games were against high school jv teams.

3rd season , well tice and co. are certainly not gonna let the late season fade happen again , right? well the vikings again come out the gate with rage and fury to a outstanding record of 5-1 . tice is sure to have the group fired up and ready to go for the mid and 2nd half of the season , right? well maybe not , again after 6 games in the season the vikings lose all composure and only win 3 games. 8-8. how can the same group of people have such different out comes? lack of focus? well whos job is it to make sure that the players are focused . unprepaired , again coaching . players are tired? sure but again this has to fall on the coaches , they are responsible for the training and conditioning.

can anyone else recall the horrible play selection? how can this team this explosive struggle like they have when it really matters . i've never seen so many leads disappear so quickly .

i'm not calling for tices head ......yet . this year he WILL have a defence. and an owner that isn't affraid to open the pocket book . BUT if the vikings only win 3 games after the first 6 games then tice should be religated to mascot.

http://justlube.net/?page_id=44

Del Rio Guest

Like I said earlier they get conservative and the play calling goes to shit.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast