Blog Entries

Xavier Rhodes Training Camp Profile

I am excited to see him play

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Excited to see him out there.
    I expect a lot of Nickle this season.
    Our Defensive Back field look crowded now

Jefferson, Rhodes, Cook, Robinson,
    Someone goes... I wouldn't surprise if we don't resign Cook.
    It would be a huge mistake in my eyes but.... we don't seem to want to pay anyone.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Cook is young enough that if he stays healthy and keeps his nose clean he will get another contract if he wants to be here.

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    Excited to see him out there.
    I expect a lot of Nickle this season.
    Our Defensive Back field look crowded now

Jefferson, Rhodes, Cook, Robinson,
    Someone goes... I wouldn't surprise if we don't resign Cook.
    It would be a huge mistake in my eyes but.... we don't seem to want to pay anyone.
    You mean like Peterson or Greenway?
    I get what you mean though.It seems like we have had to get rid of good players that I thought could help us. It seems the salary cap is making it nearly impossible for any team to stay together.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by marshallvike View Post
    It seems the salary cap is making it nearly impossible for any team to stay together.
    Yes, and it's a little ironic: The salary cap is in place to prevent money from having too much of an impact, but it's causing players to switch teams. Teams with superstars are being punished and it has become a major focus on finding the cheapest players, not the best.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

It's bout finding balance. You can sign a bunch of top players to backloaded contracts and attempt to make a short term push for a championship but at some point you will have to pay the piper and you will have lean years while you work off that excess salary.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    It's bout finding balance. You can sign a bunch of top players to backloaded contracts and attempt to make a short term push for a championship but at some point you will have to pay the piper and you will have lean years while you work off that excess salary.
    Exactly. Hate to keep using the same cliche example, but the Pats do it best.

They have their core group of guys. nd right now, that core group consists of Tom Brady. Even Brady is not safe. They've hinted at a possibility of a Brady-less Patriots in a few years. Once guys get older, production slips, but pay ususally doesn't. They trade them for picks to get younger players. They always seem to have a decently young roster, and we write them off as young and inexperienced, but the Pats are always in the playoffs, and are always one of the top AFC teams, despite letting some high-profile players go.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Actually,
    I don't think its as bad as people think it is.
    The issue is at the QB and WR positions. Almost all other positions are safe.

Look at it this way. We paid Hutch 7 million...which was the going rate for top OTs
    Teams are signing talented players for the cheapest contracts in a long time. Good players are getting 2 million dollar deals for 4 million a year. Teams with good QBs are the ones in trouble. QB salaries have grown out of hand due to the Manning, Brady, Manning, Rodgers' arm race.
    Hell Romo who might be the 10th best Qb in the league is topping 100 million. Can you name the 10th best player at any position making elite money? Wrs are next on the list but not as bad. However, RB, FB, TE, OL, DTs, MLB and CBs and safeties are still cheap. A few corners' salaries are out there but most arent.

This is why this team is made to make a run. Our QB salary allows us to sign a few more guys than most teams and stock pile talent until Ponder (or someone else) earns that contract.

Flair Hay is offline Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    Actually,
    I don't think its as bad as people think it is.
    The issue is at the QB and WR positions. Almost all other positions are safe.

Look at it this way. We paid Hutch 7 million...which was the going rate for top OTs
    Teams are signing talented players for the cheapest contracts in a long time. Good players are getting 2 million dollar deals for 4 million a year. Teams with good QBs are the ones in trouble. QB salaries have grown out of hand due to the Manning, Brady, Manning, Rodgers' arm race.
    Hell Romo who might be the 10th best Qb in the league is topping 100 million. Can you name the 10th best player at any position making elite money? Wrs are next on the list but not as bad. However, RB, FB, TE, OL, DTs, MLB and CBs and safeties are still cheap. A few corners' salaries are out there but most arent.

This is why this team is made to make a run. Our QB salary allows us to sign a few more guys than most teams and stock pile talent until Ponder (or someone else) earns that contract.
    Yup. Agree with everything you said here. Having a cheap QB gives us a huge advantage over teams paying their elite QBs 10x what we are paying Ponder. Hopefully we can take advantage of this.

Now if only we had a cheap AND awesome QB like SEA or SF...