Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    So you don't think Simpson can be the speed guy? I do, I think he would benifit the most by adding a possesion cat in the middle. He and say a Barden and Percy with a Rudy and AD in the backfield would be a pretty nasty mix of targets for defenders to stop.

Key point here is I think that when the season started, Simpson missed to much, then Percy went down and we didn't have Wright ready so Simpson was forced to play a position he wasn't comfortable in.

Most on here don't think that way. They think all WR's should be comfortable catching balls in heavy traffic. I disagree and use Moss as a prime example to prove my point. Next is Bernard Berrien. That cat never really got used to running the routes Rice did for us. Simpson is of that ilk. I think he just likes to run 7, 8 and 9 routes and if left to do that, he will do just fine adding his speed on the outside.
    I think Simpson can be that guy, but very likely won't be due to injury and/or suspension or such. Just saying, looking at his past record, it looks a lot like Syd Rice, only 1 of 5 career years saw him in all 16 games. I'd totally keep him on another 2 mill/year contract but I would try to draft 2 WRs to compete for starts. AND sign a vet if we lose Harvin.

IMHO we need one true no.1 guy who runs ALL the routes, with the speed to go deep and the size to work the middle and go up for the redzone jump balls, and most importantly, reliable hands. Add that kind of flexibility in with Peterson's dominance and Harvin's versatility, and suddenly the sad starting trio of Jenkins, Simpson, & Wright we ended the year with looks real good as complements...as in No. 3,4,5 instead of 1,2,3.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainviking View Post
    I think Simpson can be that guy, but very likely won't be due to injury and/or suspension or such. Just saying, looking at his past record, it looks a lot like Syd Rice, only 1 of 5 career years saw him in all 16 games. I'd totally keep him on another 2 mill/year contract but I would try to draft 2 WRs to compete for starts. AND sign a vet if we lose Harvin.

IMHO we need one true no.1 guy who runs ALL the routes, with the speed to go deep and the size to work the middle and go up for the redzone jump balls, and most importantly, reliable hands. Add that kind of flexibility in with Peterson's dominance and Harvin's versatility, and suddenly the sad starting trio of Jenkins, Simpson, & Wright we ended the year with looks real good as complements...as in No. 3,4,5 instead of 1,2,3.

You are already writing off Wright, WOW? He looked very good at the end of the season and would be a great compliment to PH at that spot.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    We all know there is a lack of talent on this offense at the WR position
    Here are my bets for improving the WR position.

1. Get Jennings here.
    I know he is 30, I know he has shown an interest in playing for Miami (per his family). However, we offer him something no other team can. 1) Prime #1 WR targets, 2) Playing with AD which will ensure he receives one on 1 coverage all day. 3. Lastly, he gets to show the pack that they made a mistake in letting him go over the other guys. No way he passes that up. The fins won't get him to do that.
    Offer him 4 year 32 million dollar contact.
    You're also forgetting 4. Gets to play inside
    3. Trade Harvin. We should be able to get a team like the Pats to give up a 2nd for the guy. Hell, they gave up a 2nd for Wes Welker. I like Harvin but I like the prospect of having a dynamic trio like the one mentioned. The 2nd we get can be used to trade up and get what's needed from a Allen
    Either re-sign him long term or trade him. We can't afford to let him just walk as a free agent. If he's willing to re-sign, that would be ideal. THere's no denying the fact that he's an elite playmaker on the field for us.
    4. Weight the potential of Wright vs. the known of Simpson. I hated Simpson's 2012 season. Yet, I don't believe we have seen a true representation of his abilities. I don't think he should be a #1(not in Marr's terms but in terms of go to guy) but a solid # 2 or 3, seems to be his role. He will bridge the gap for the young ones until they get up to speed. Wright has reached his ceiling. He is what we have. A decent guy out there that will make a play or two.
    Jennings, Harvin, Wright, Drafted guy, Simpson and Aromashodu would make a pretty good wr corps. I'd like to see Simpson back, as he's a playmaker. We just need to a) have him healthy, and b) get him the ball in position to make plays. Running nothing but slants and flys won't work. we need to get him plays that get him open and we need a QB to hit him in stride. He's similar to Berrian. He's not always going to beat you deep, but he's a guy you want to hit on the seams/slants/hook with space and let him use his speed to find a hole and possibly bust a long one.

I like Marty's idea of trading Gerhart. I honestly see no benefit of keeping him. We could get a mid-round pick to get someone we need, and sign a FA RB as a backup. A guy like Felix Jones would be a great pickup if he comes cheap.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion
    I'm weary of Jennings, he has spent his entire career in one of the top pass offenses in the league. No doubt Rodgers and the guys around him made him better.

Trading Harvin for a draft pick that we would then use to draft another WR, hoping that he can be close to as good as Harvin doesn't seem logical and brings back memories of trading Randy Moss so we could draft Troy Williamson.

Harvin should be a top priority. Pay the man. He's an elite talent. If he won't be reasonable make him play out his contract. The Vikings have the leverage and should be able to retain him.

1st rounder should be WR.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by tarkenton10 View Post
    [/B]

You are already writing off Wright, WOW? He looked very good at the end of the season and would be a great compliment to PH at that spot.
    Sorry, I didn't intend that as necessarily the depth chart order...really, I see all three as roughly equal but with different skill sets. And, no, not writing him off, just thinking he could use a bit more time to develop before we count on him to turn around the league's 2nd worst passing offense. D'oh!!

Kid's got potential for sure, but also got blanketed at times. And, he seems a bit more like Harvin's backup in the slot than the outside deep threat who can also work the middle that I'm looking to add to the equation.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    You are the ultimate Viking fan. I love that you have a distain for the Packers.
    I hate to sleep with the enemy but adding Jennings, who is a damn good WR and easily a top 10 WR in this league, can help us tremendously. He is also more than a slot guy. He can play any position and plays them all well. I would put him on the outside and ask him to run slants...the same patterns that we can't run...and the one that he killed us with for his entire career.
    Look at two things.....Target and yards. Both have been on a steady decline since 06. Why would we bring a player in that isn't even close to being what he once was and hasn't been that way for many years?

Because he is a name you recognize?

Donald Driver Stats - Green Bay Packers - ESPN

Look around, there are some very talented kids coming out of college the last 5 or 6 years, and there are a few of them that won't get contracts this year who will not only make our team better, but will also be pretty damn happy that the Vikings picked them up.

Again, I keep throwing Barden out there, but that is because he is exactly what this team needs, other than Percy, at the WR positions. Big, Strong, Good hands, and eager to show what he can do once he is out from behind that log jam they have there at Giantsville.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

As a former WR Marr, this pholosphy stinks. Trust me in my days the 18 yard comeback was my favorite route. I was ok with 9s but hated 5s(slide for us) As with anything, you have a comfort level with certain and actions and clearly can run certain routes better than others. With that said...what happens when you 9 guy gets hurt? Oh oh. The offense is now out of flux. What happen when you post guy gets suspended? Oh oh...no one can run possession routes. You have to build redundancies in your offense and when you have starters that aren't good enough to work multiple WR positions.. your offense will always be on thin ice.
    Two things, I know you know alot more about the game (and your position than I) but you cannot tell me I'm wrong in my way of thinking. Randy Moss is my prime example. Cat just hates to go over the middle. Bernard Berrian is another. He just sucked at it, again, because he didn't like to do it and felt uncomfortable doing it.

You, above all people, know that most of your production comes from knowing in your own mind that you can do something (confidence).

As to what do teams do? The roll the dice and hope that they can cover it with what they have. Great teams will have WR's that can play all 3 positions and produce. Good teams will have one, maybe two that can play all three, rebuilding teams will have exactly what we have. Wr's that can barely play the position they are signed to play.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    Look at two things.....Target and yards. Both have been on a steady decline since 06. Why would we bring a player in that isn't even close to being what he once was and hasn't been that way for many years?

Because he is a name you recognize?

Donald Driver Stats - Green Bay Packers - ESPN

Look around, there are some very talented kids coming out of college the last 5 or 6 years, and there are a few of them that won't get contracts this year who will not only make our team better, but will also be pretty damn happy that the Vikings picked them up.

Again, I keep throwing Barden out there, but that is because he is exactly what this team needs, other than Percy, at the WR positions. Big, Strong, Good hands, and eager to show what he can do once he is out from behind that log jam they have there at Giantsville.
    Can't his decine in targets and yards, simply be explained away with....
    1) Emergence of Finley, Nelson, Crabtree, Cobb and Jones.
    Before it was Driver and him, Driver the possesion guy, he was the clear deep threat. However, the packers have done a great job in throwing high draft picks at their offensive skill players (something we need to duplicate) The results is a pleathera of weapons to use. When you pair that with a QB that seems to throw to the open guy much to the displeasure of a guy like Finley, you just know there isn't enough balls to go around.

Barden is not who you believe him to be. I see a tall guy, with below average hands and speed. He is not who you believe him to be.

Can't his decine in targets and yards, simply be explained away with....
    1) Emergence of Finley, Nelson, Crabtree, Cobb and Jones.
    Before it was Driver and him, Driver the possesion guy, he was the clear deep threat. However, the packers have done a great job in throwing high draft picks at their offensive skill players (something we need to duplicate) The results is a pleathera of weapons to use. When you pair that with a QB that seems to throw to the open guy much to the displeasure of a guy like Finley, you just know there isn't enough balls to go around.

Barden is not who you believe him to be. I see a tall guy, with below average hands and speed. He is not who you believe him to be.
    If he was still getting open he would still be getting the ball thrown to him. That dang guy the have over there that benched the Noodle doesn't play favorites. He just gets it to the guy that is open.

And you might be right about Barden, but you still see my point I'm trying to make, Lots and lots of good WR's out there on rosters not getting reps these days. I kind of think its because of the spread offense at the collegiate level.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123