Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    I thought I did......

Just say no to Jennings. Spend the money on Harvin cause you can't have both. I think they go after a mid tier Vet coming off his first contract that none of us are even thinking about. A few names I gave out in another thread are:

Ramses Barden
    Dominick Hixon
    Brandon Gibson

Draft Patterson and Kennan Allen/Woods/Hunter, doesn't matter to me as I think they would all be great additions.

The way I think Ricky Boy has them on his board:

a. Allen
    b. Patterson
    c. Hopkins
    d. Williams

What I think he is hoping for is that someone (ala the Rams) fall in love with Austin which would allow A, B or C to fall to us at 23.

In the later rounds, I think he has the following on his board:

a. Hunter 2nd, probably even late first.
    b. Hamilton 3rd, possibly late 2nd.
    c. Patton, 3rd
    d. Mellet, 5th (but might move up based on what he's been doing in the Senior Bowl)

Lets say I'm right......That would give us a WR corp of
    X -Simpson/Back up Hopkins or Patterson
    Z- Vet/Backup Hopkins or Patterson
    Y- Percy/Wright

I could roll with that. If they don't go with a Vet cause it cost to much to resign/keep Percy, plug someone like Mellet in that spot.
    That sounds like a good plan, my friend. Now email it to Ricky for us, please.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Jennings has been hurt too much and will want what Percy wants: 10+ mill/year. Too much for a 30 year old who already has an injury history, but maybe OK for the younger, more versatile Harvin.

The Giants do seem to have a plethora of 3rd with the potential to break out guys. But, Barden is more of a young Jenkins, and I think we need a bit more speed outside...

In the draft I got a gut feeling on Terrance Williams...more experience, more catches, better average yds/rcpt, but most importantly, catches the slightly off balls smoothly.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainviking View Post
    Jennings has been hurt too much and will want what Percy wants: 10+ mill/year. Too much for a 30 year old who already has an injury history, but maybe OK for the younger, more versatile Harvin.

The Giants do seem to have a plethora of 3rd with the potential to break out guys. But, Barden is more of a young Jenkins, and I think we need a bit more speed outside...

In the draft I got a gut feeling on Terrance Williams...more experience, more catches, better average yds/rcpt, but most importantly, catches the slightly off balls smoothly.
    So you don't think Simpson can be the speed guy? I do, I think he would benifit the most by adding a possesion cat in the middle. He and say a Barden and Percy with a Rudy and AD in the backfield would be a pretty nasty mix of targets for defenders to stop.

Key point here is I think that when the season started, Simpson missed to much, then Percy went down and we didn't have Wright ready so Simpson was forced to play a position he wasn't comfortable in.

Most on here don't think that way. They think all WR's should be comfortable catching balls in heavy traffic. I disagree and use Moss as a prime example to prove my point. Next is Bernard Berrien. That cat never really got used to running the routes Rice did for us. Simpson is of that ilk. I think he just likes to run 7, 8 and 9 routes and if left to do that, he will do just fine adding his speed on the outside.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by tarkenton10 View Post
    You may be right but right now most have him going in the middle of the second round. IMO though he will be the second receiver off the board after Allen. Where and when they fall will change over the next three months. I am not even sure Spielman will take a WR. I don't think the org. puts a lot of importance at the pos. with their ground and pound philosophy.
    I hate that train of thought, the good teams build a good offense and then play to weaknesses and strengths. Look at Atlanta, A passing team right? However, they made sure to add a top 10 RB in Turner. Now they can hurt teams multiple ways if needed. When they play teams like NY that can pass rush all they, they pound the ball and open up the pass. 49ers? Running team but they added a couple of Wrs to give them the room we need. We need to do the same. Build both aspects of the offense with talent and then play to our preference. So when Ap can't get going, we have a stud WR who we can put the team on his back and win us games.

So you don't think Simpson can be the speed guy? I do, I think he would benifit the most by adding a possesion cat in the middle. He and say a Barden and Percy with a Rudy and AD in the backfield would be a pretty nasty mix of targets for defenders to stop.

Key point here is I think that when the season started, Simpson missed to much, then Percy went down and we didn't have Wright ready so Simpson was forced to play a position he wasn't comfortable in.

Most on here don't think that way. They think all WR's should be comfortable catching balls in heavy traffic. I disagree and use Moss as a prime example to prove my point. Next is Bernard Berrien. That cat never really got used to running the routes Rice did for us. Simpson is of that ilk. I think he just likes to run 7, 8 and 9 routes and if left to do that, he will do just fine adding his speed on the outside.
    As a former WR Marr, this pholosphy stinks. Trust me in my days the 18 yard comeback was my favorite route. I was ok with 9s but hated 5s(slide for us) As with anything, you have a comfort level with certain and actions and clearly can run certain routes better than others. With that said...what happens when you 9 guy gets hurt? Oh oh. The offense is now out of flux. What happen when you post guy gets suspended? Oh oh...no one can run possession routes. You have to build redundancies in your offense and when you have starters that aren't good enough to work multiple WR positions.. your offense will always be on thin ice.

I thank the good lord each and every night that we don't have enough CAP to sign both Harvin and Jennings. That means we don't have to watch another old ass EX-PUKER.
    You are the ultimate Viking fan. I love that you have a distain for the Packers.
    I hate to sleep with the enemy but adding Jennings, who is a damn good WR and easily a top 10 WR in this league, can help us tremendously. He is also more than a slot guy. He can play any position and plays them all well. I would put him on the outside and ask him to run slants...the same patterns that we can't run...and the one that he killed us with for his entire career.

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion
    Playing devils advocate, what excites a FA WR to come to Minny? AD obviously but he doesn't throw the ball, the guy who does that isn't going to get us a big name FA IMO.

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion
    I thank the good lord each and every night that we don't have enough CAP to sign both Harvin and Jennings. That means we don't have to watch another old ass EX-PUKER.
    I totally agree, I don't want that POS!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    You are the ultimate Viking fan. I love that you have a distain for the Packers.
    I hate to sleep with the enemy but adding Jennings, who is a damn good WR and easily a top 10 WR in this league, can help us tremendously. He is also more than a slot guy. He can play any position and plays them all well. I would put him on the outside and ask him to run slants...the same patterns that we can't run...and the one that he killed us with for his entire career.
    He can play all wr pos. but he is best suited to play the slot. At 30 why pick up someone who may not be the best choice for another WR pos. The only upside to him IMO would be insurnace if PH got hurt but we have Wright who I think will start to shine next year. He will be more comfortable in the system and his athleticism will show through. If we are going to sign a FA Wr I would like to sign either Wallace or Bowe.

I do agree with you though, if you take talent from your rival then you have improved your team and hurt them. So I would not be too upset with signing Jennings, worse things could happen, sorry Marrdro, my friend.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    As a former WR Marr, this pholosphy stinks. Trust me in my days the 18 yard comeback was my favorite route. I was ok with 9s but hated 5s(slide for us) As with anything, you have a comfort level with certain and actions and clearly can run certain routes better than others. With that said...what happens when you 9 guy gets hurt? Oh oh. The offense is now out of flux. What happen when you post guy gets suspended? Oh oh...no one can run possession routes. You have to build redundancies in your offense and when you have starters that aren't good enough to work multiple WR positions.. your offense will always be on thin ice.
    I would truly like to get a #1 WR that blow the top off of a defense. I think it will make AD way more dangerous, I am not that sure this team puts the same priority on WRs that other teams do. If PH can stay healthy and you get a dynamic #1 WR we would become a very dangerous team with Rudy at TE, PH in the slot, and AD in the back field.

I would also like to see them work with AD on his pass catching skills. He would be so much more dangerous in open space on a wheel route or screen pass, it would be frightening.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast