Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 29
  1. #1
    kevoncox's Avatar
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,909

    Wrs... I got your stinking Wrs

    We all know there is a lack of talent on this offense at the WR position
    Here are my bets for improving the WR position.

    1. Get Jennings here.
    I know he is 30, I know he has shown an interest in playing for Miami (per his family). However, we offer him something no other team can. 1) Prime #1 WR targets, 2) Playing with AD which will ensure he receives one on 1 coverage all day. 3. Lastly, he gets to show the pack that they made a mistake in letting him go over the other guys. No way he passes that up. The fins won't get him to do that.
    Offer him 4 year 32 million dollar contact.

    2. Draft Patterson and Kennan Allen/Woods/Hunter
    I expect both players to be available in the 1st and 2nd round. I expect Allen to fall because of his speed. He's just not a blazer and he fits a Reuben Randle type mold. I love his hands and his passion for the game. Runs damn good routes too. If Allen is not available, then getting a combination of Woods or Hunter would be solid. Both should be decent pros however, neither will be game changers.

    Patterson might be gone by 20 but if he falls to us... Lawd this is gonna be a damn good team. The kid is rough as a route runner and will need lessons and coaching something our coaches and a pro like Jennings can provide. However, he is a human joystiq with the ball in his hands. His change of direction puts him in the same class as Harvin and CJ. He has legitimate 4.35 speed.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vx6pGFvDqt0

    3. Trade Harvin. We should be able to get a team like the Pats to give up a 2nd for the guy. Hell, they gave up a 2nd for Wes Welker. I like Harvin but I like the prospect of having a dynamic trio like the one mentioned. The 2nd we get can be used to trade up and get what's needed from a Allen

    4. Weight the potential of Wright vs. the known of Simpson. I hated Simpson's 2012 season. Yet, I don't believe we have seen a true representation of his abilities. I don't think he should be a #1(not in Marr's terms but in terms of go to guy) but a solid # 2 or 3, seems to be his role. He will bridge the gap for the young ones until they get up to speed. Wright has reached his ceiling. He is what we have. A decent guy out there that will make a play or two.


    This will give us a corp of

    X -Jennings/ Back up X Patterson
    Z- Simpson/ Back up Z Allen.
    Slot 1 Paterson / Jennings
    Slot 2 - Wright / Jennings

    Backups Jenkins ( dirt low)/ Arousha
    Practice squad - Childs and Burton
    ----------------
    I already know the concerns.

    We have other needs. However, we have 6 more picks in positions that are deep in this draft. Trading up to get Allen should net us a 3rd or 4th in exchange for our 2nds. We can address DT, and LB with our 2 3rds (which is about wright for those positions) a Back up RB in the 4th can replace Gerhart next season. The rest can be an OL or DL here or there.
    Last edited by kevoncox; 01-24-2013 at 06:03 AM.

  2. #2
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,909
    Only problem is we won't spend our first and second on WR's. My guess, if we stay pat with our draft picks (which Ricky boy won't, he likes to move around) we will go:

    First - WR (Only way to keep a fan base happy is to give them a offensive weapon)
    Second - DT (Sly Williams should be there. He can play both the 3 and the 1 tech)
    Third - LB (Might be a OLB or a ILB or a cat who can play both Sean Porter or Chase Thomas could be a nice fit for the OLB job)
    Fourth A - OG
    Fourth B - WR
    Fifth - DB for depth. Could be a S or a CB
    Seventh A - QB
    Seventh B - As much as I'd like to see Kluwe gone, I'd project a P here but think we might see either another DT or LB picked here.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  3. #3
    kevoncox's Avatar
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,909
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    Only problem is we won't spend our first and second on WR's. My guess, if we stay pat with our draft picks (which Ricky boy won't, he likes to move around) we will go:

    First - WR (Only way to keep a fan base happy is to give them a offensive weapon)
    Second - DT (Sly Williams should be there. He can play both the 3 and the 1 tech)
    Third - LB (Might be a OLB or a ILB or a cat who can play both Sean Porter or Chase Thomas could be a nice fit for the OLB job)
    Fourth A - OG
    Fourth B - WR
    Fifth - DB for depth. Could be a S or a CB
    Seventh A - QB
    Seventh B - As much as I'd like to see Kluwe gone, I'd project a P here but think we might see either another DT or LB picked here.
    I know we won't spend our first 2 picks on WR but we should. Our Corp is that badly in need of change and an offensive guy like can only dream. Thoughts on the guys I proposed drafting and signing (lol)

  4. #4
    12purplepride28's Avatar
    12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    1,852
    Blog Entries
    1
    I like it but I would much rather sign Jennings, draft Patterson and sign Harvin to a long term deal. Then we see how Childs can come back from his injury (I don't have much hope but if he does he can be a great player). Our best case scenario with any WR we draft is that they are as talented as Harvin, and I really think if we can put at least one other real weapon in the passing game and give him a good contract he will be happy.

    Ideally (for me) we would go after Bowe and Jennings and hope to land one of them, draft a top WR, and resign Harvin. I want to make sure that for years we can call WR one of our strong points. And I don't want to retire my Harvin jersey.
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

  5. #5
    tarkenton10's Avatar
    tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,200
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    We all know there is a lack of talent on this offense at the WR position
    Here are my bets for improving the WR position.

    1. Get Jennings here.
    I know he is 30, I know he has shown an interest in playing for Miami (per his family). However, we offer him something no other team can. 1) Prime #1 WR targets, 2) Playing with AD which will ensure he receives one on 1 coverage all day. 3. Lastly, he gets to show the pack that they made a mistake in letting him go over the other guys. No way he passes that up. The fins won't get him to do that.
    Offer him 4 year 32 million dollar contact.

    2. Draft Patterson and Kennan Allen/Woods/Hunter
    I expect both players to be available in the 1st and 2nd round. I expect Allen to fall because of his speed. He's just not a blazer and he fits a Reuben Randle type mold. I love his hands and his passion for the game. Runs damn good routes too. If Allen is not available, then getting a combination of Woods or Hunter would be solid. Both should be decent pros however, neither will be game changers.

    Patterson might be gone by 20 but if he falls to us... Lawd this is gonna be a damn good team. The kid is rough as a route runner and will need lessons and coaching something our coaches and a pro like Jennings can provide. However, he is a human joystiq with the ball in his hands. His change of direction puts him in the same class as Harvin and CJ. He has legitimate 4.35 speed.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vx6pGFvDqt0

    3. Trade Harvin. We should be able to get a team like the Pats to give up a 2nd for the guy. Hell, they gave up a 2nd for Wes Welker. I like Harvin but I like the prospect of having a dynamic trio like the one mentioned. The 2nd we get can be used to trade up and get what's needed from a Allen

    4. Weight the potential of Wright vs. the known of Simpson. I hated Simpson's 2012 season. Yet, I don't believe we have seen a true representation of his abilities. I don't think he should be a #1(not in Marr's terms but in terms of go to guy) but a solid # 2 or 3, seems to be his role. He will bridge the gap for the young ones until they get up to speed. Wright has reached his ceiling. He is what we have. A decent guy out there that will make a play or two.


    This will give us a corp of

    X -Jennings/ Back up X Patterson
    Z- Simpson/ Back up Z Allen.
    Slot 1 Paterson / Jennings
    Slot 2 - Wright / Jennings

    Backups Jenkins ( dirt low)/ Arousha
    Practice squad - Childs and Burton
    ----------------
    I already know the concerns.

    We have other needs. However, we have 6 more picks in positions that are deep in this draft. Trading up to get Allen should net us a 3rd or 4th in exchange for our 2nds. We can address DT, and LB with our 2 3rds (which is about wright for those positions) a Back up RB in the 4th can replace Gerhart next season. The rest can be an OL or DL here or there.
    1. Jennings is 30, a little old for me if we are going to go with the youth movement. He is also best suited for the slot pos. so if you bring Jennings in then we definitely need to trade PH. Seems like a bad swap to me if you are looking to make your team more talented.

    2. We may draft a WR at #23 but I don't think so, however, if we do I think Spielman will go for Allen. Most complete Wr and safest pick to succeed IMO and he should be there. I wouldn''t mind getting one of those other guys in round #2. They are all similiar, Patterson does intrigue me though with his size/speed ratio.

    3. Simpson would be a good #2 but we are going to have to draft a #1 IMO, because I don't think Spielman will go after one in Fa. And I think you are dead wrong about Wright. If it wasn't for the fact that he had trouble learning the system he would have been contributing much sooner. Next year he will be more comfortable in the system and then he can rely more on his talents. Once it becomes second nature I think this kid will take off, give him one more year and look out.

    There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

  6. #6
    mountainviking's Avatar
    mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,839
    Here ya go Kevon, Cordarrelle the Gazelle mocked to us: NFL Mock Draft 2013 Picks 17-32

    Kid is fast as foook and hits like a ton of bricks when he lowers the shoulders! And, like Harvin, a good return guy who also takes some carries out of the backfield. My concern with him is the lack of experience and that he had under 50 catches in his one good season...the last thing we need is another Troy Williamson, specially IF we trade Harvin!!?! Double d'oh!!

    Here's some more highlights:
    Cordarrelle Patterson vs FL, Missouri, Vanderbilt,Georgia - YouTube

    On a side note:
    Drafttek has an Interesting take on the Vikings' draft this week...after WR in the first, it's all Defense rounds 2-4: MLB, OLB, CB, DT, followed by Collin Klein in the 5th!?? What!? Wouldn't that be kinda like having Toby Gerhart as backup QB!? Tho it does fit our MO...we seem to like our big white boys!
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

    "Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

  7. #7
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,909
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainviking View Post
    Here ya go Kevon, Cordarrelle the Gazelle mocked to us: NFL Mock Draft 2013 Picks 17-32

    Kid is fast as foook and hits like a ton of bricks when he lowers the shoulders! And, like Harvin, a good return guy who also takes some carries out of the backfield. My concern with him is the lack of experience and that he had under 50 catches in his one good season...the last thing we need is another Troy Williamson, specially IF we trade Harvin!!?! Double d'oh!!

    Here's some more highlights:
    Cordarrelle Patterson vs FL, Missouri, Vanderbilt,Georgia - YouTube

    On a side note:
    Drafttek has an Interesting take on the Vikings' draft this week...after WR in the first, it's all Defense rounds 2-4: MLB, OLB, CB, DT, followed by Collin Klein in the 5th!?? What!? Wouldn't that be kinda like having Toby Gerhart as backup QB!? Tho it does fit our MO...we seem to like our big white boys!
    One of a select few I watched play this year. Love what he brings but I don't think he makes it to us.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  8. #8
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,909
    Quote Originally Posted by 12purplepride28 View Post
    I like it but I would much rather sign Jennings, draft Patterson and sign Harvin to a long term deal. Then we see how Childs can come back from his injury (I don't have much hope but if he does he can be a great player). Our best case scenario with any WR we draft is that they are as talented as Harvin, and I really think if we can put at least one other real weapon in the passing game and give him a good contract he will be happy.

    Ideally (for me) we would go after Bowe and Jennings and hope to land one of them, draft a top WR, and resign Harvin. I want to make sure that for years we can call WR one of our strong points. And I don't want to retire my Harvin jersey.
    I thank the good lord each and every night that we don't have enough CAP to sign both Harvin and Jennings. That means we don't have to watch another old ass EX-PUKER.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  9. #9
    tarkenton10's Avatar
    tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,200
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    One of a select few I watched play this year. Love what he brings but I don't think he makes it to us.
    You may be right but right now most have him going in the middle of the second round. IMO though he will be the second receiver off the board after Allen. Where and when they fall will change over the next three months. I am not even sure Spielman will take a WR. I don't think the org. puts a lot of importance at the pos. with their ground and pound philosophy.

    There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

  10. #10
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,909
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    Thoughts on the guys I proposed drafting and signing (lol)
    I thought I did......

    Just say no to Jennings. Spend the money on Harvin cause you can't have both. I think they go after a mid tier Vet coming off his first contract that none of us are even thinking about. A few names I gave out in another thread are:

    Ramses Barden
    Dominick Hixon
    Brandon Gibson

    Draft Patterson and Kennan Allen/Woods/Hunter, doesn't matter to me as I think they would all be great additions.

    The way I think Ricky Boy has them on his board:

    a. Allen
    b. Patterson
    c. Hopkins
    d. Williams

    What I think he is hoping for is that someone (ala the Rams) fall in love with Austin which would allow A, B or C to fall to us at 23.

    In the later rounds, I think he has the following on his board:

    a. Hunter 2nd, probably even late first.
    b. Hamilton 3rd, possibly late 2nd.
    c. Patton, 3rd
    d. Mellet, 5th (but might move up based on what he's been doing in the Senior Bowl)

    Lets say I'm right......That would give us a WR corp of
    X -Simpson/Back up Hopkins or Patterson
    Z- Vet/Backup Hopkins or Patterson
    Y- Percy/Wright

    I could roll with that. If they don't go with a Vet cause it cost to much to resign/keep Percy, plug someone like Mellet in that spot.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •