Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainviking View Post
    Singer, its not that we don't want to add WRs, I just don't see any WRs in FA who are name-known and worth what they want. WR is still our biggest need, but with only 17.5 in cap space and needing to sign Harvin, Felton and Loadholt and draft picks...I don't think we can afford Jennings or Wallace anyway.
    I'm talking about those fans who now not only don't want us to take a WR via FA, but don't want us taking one early in the draft as well. They want us to spend those top two picks on other positions, like DL men & LB's. WR drops back on their list of priorities.

How soon they forget.

First pick of the draft should be WR BPA unless by some miracle some other stud falls in our lap that was projected to go way higher, but there doesn't seem to be a group of elite prospects that everyone's talking about this year like they have in past years.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    I'm talking about those fans who now not only don't want us to take a WR via FA, but don't want us taking one early in the draft as well. They want us to spend those top two picks on other positions, like DL men & LB's. WR drops back on their list of priorities.

We had a darn high pick last year that could have been traded to get any WR in the draft or high picks in this years draft to get a WR but nearly every fan said it was more important to draft an OL who would give the QB more time in the pocket and give the WR's more time to get open so we didn't need to draft a high end WR. How did that work out again? Heck, we could have taken care of the WR last year and got an OL every bit as good as or better than the one we got this year in the top 20 picks or so. This draft is loaded with OT's.

tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman

How soon they forget.

First pick of the draft should be WR BPA unless by some miracle some other stud falls in our lap that was projected to go way higher, but there doesn't seem to be a group of elite prospects that everyone's talking about this year like they have in past years.
    Alec Ogletree and Star Lotulelei are two that could fal to us. Both are rated as top ten talents and each has a reason why they may be there at #23.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni

How soon they forget.

I agree, singer. We should pick up a FA WR and also take one early in the draft. If one of the top 2 WR's falls to us at 23, I believe Spielman will grab him. If however we are down to 2nd round talent WR's and there is a top 15 talent player at another position of need for us, we should not pass him up to reach for a receiver. WR is our biggest need, but far from being our only serious need. If Miami out bids us for Wallace that will take out another team with needs at WR, and will help us maybe get a top flight talent there in the draft.
    Last edited by marshallvike; 03-07-2013 at 09:22 AM.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

PackSux! is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    We had a darn high pick last year that could have been traded to get any WR in the draft or high picks in this years draft to get a WR but nearly every fan said it was more important to draft an OL who would give the QB more time in the pocket and give the WR's more time to get open so we didn't need to draft a high end WR. How did that work out again? Heck, we could have taken care of the WR last year and got an OL every bit as good as or better than the one we got this year in the top 20 picks or so. This draft is loaded with OT's.
    We ended up with a Pro Bowl Rookie LT. That not good enough for you or what is your problem?

I Don't believe any LT coming out this year will be near as good as Kalil. And if there is one there is no way in hell they would be there at 23.

If I remember right last year you were preaching to move down and draft either Blackmon or that Corner that went to Dallas, and then Draft Riley Reif later.

Go ask Lion fans how good that Tackle you and Marrdro wanted is.

Flair Hay is offline Rookie
    I'm in the camp of going defense first round, but its all subjective. If Keenan Allen is there, mayyyybe Patterson than yeah, jump on it. But if they're both gone, and there's 7-8 legit candidates with not a lot of separation it's better value to wait.

One mock I saw had Lotuleilei falling to 23 and grabbing Woods in the 2nd. That works for me. Another I saw is Allen first round and John Jenkins 2nd round. That also works. Plus LB, G and S we have tons of room for improvement as well.

Desmond Bryant in FA would be my first choice over any WR as we could then focus on LB in the first two rounds while not having the pressure of a second rounder being forced to start from day one. Khasim Greene, Ogletree, Brown and Minter would all help the team a lot IMO.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PackSux! View Post
    We ended up with a Pro Bowl Rookie LT. That not good enough for you or what is your problem?

I Don't believe any LT coming out this year will be near as good as Kalil. And if there is one there is no way in hell they would be there at 23.

If I remember right last year you were preaching to move down and draft either Blackmon or that Corner that went to Dallas, and then Draft Riley Reif later.

Go ask Lion fans how good that Tackle you and Marrdro wanted is.
    Just saying that people put him on a pedestal like he would solve all the problems on offense and he obviously didn't.

I believe there will be 2-3 LT's as good as or better than he is. You disagree, no problem.

I wasn't really sold on Blackmon but would have traded back picks to get one of the other WR's or a CB like Jenkins. I would have rather had Claiborne if we stayed at the top of the board. Personal preference. Actually was more sold on DeCastro and feel he will be a much better pro but he did hurt his knee last year.

But you are right. I am essentially opposed to taking a LT at the top of the draft. It works good during their rookie contract but after that they command so much money that the team ends up sacrificing overall quality across the line due to cap issues. We saw it with hutch and McKinney taking up cap space that cost us Birk and we ended up with a rookie center and a right side of the line that was terrible because of their 150 million dollar hit. The Dolphins are sending Long down the road and obviously Thomas hasn't fixed anything in Cleveland.

Do I like Kalil? Sure, he is a good guy, keeps his nose clean and does his job. Do I think he will create cap problems in a few years and take salary dollars that I would rather see spent on a skill position? Yep. Don't like the opinion? don't care.

PackSux! is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    Just saying that people put him on a pedestal like he would solve all the problems on offense and he obviously didn't.

I believe there will be 2-3 LT's as good as or better than he is. You disagree, no problem.

I wasn't really sold on Blackmon but would have traded back picks to get one of the other WR's or a CB like Jenkins. I would have rather had Claiborne if we stayed at the top of the board. Personal preference. Actually was more sold on DeCastro and feel he will be a much better pro but he did hurt his knee last year.

But you are right. I am essentially opposed to taking a LT at the top of the draft. It works good during their rookie contract but after that they command so much money that the team ends up sacrificing overall quality across the line due to cap issues. We saw it with hutch and McKinney taking up cap space that cost us Birk and we ended up with a rookie center and a right side of the line that was terrible because of their 150 million dollar hit. The Dolphins are sending Long down the road and obviously Thomas hasn't fixed anything in Cleveland.

Do I like Kalil? Sure, he is a good guy, keeps his nose clean and does his job. Do I think he will create cap problems in a few years and take salary dollars that I would rather see spent on a skill position? Yep. Don't like the opinion? don't care.
    That rookie center turned out pretty good in case you haven't noticed. The Vikings set them self up for the Hutch Cap hit when we made that huge offer to him during free agency. We do not have that problem anymore with our offensive line.

Finding a receiver in the draft is the way to do it but that is always a crap shoot.

I hate the idea of trading down and then taking a chance on a kid when you can stay put and draft a for sure thing like we did last year. Not that we have that option this year anyways.

The Vikings went from 3-13 to 10-6 and into the playoffs. Our running back had the second best season a running back has ever had in history. Kalil didn't solve all of our offensive problems but he must of solved a good portion of them problems. Maybe this year we find the receiver that fixes the deep ball problem.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PackSux! View Post
    That rookie center turned out pretty good in case you haven't noticed.
    Did you actully read the post you quoted? If so then you probably wouldn't have written that.

The Vikings set them self up for the Hutch Cap hit when we made that huge offer to him during free agency. We do not have that problem anymore with our offensive line.
    It wasn't just Hutch, it was also McKinney. Do you think that when Kalil comes up for a contract, that it won't be a problem? If so, good luck with that.

Finding a receiver in the draft is the way to do it but that is always a crap shoot.
    True. We just suck at it for some reason. After growing up with names like Rashad,White, Carter, Carter, Moss etc it is hard to understand where they have gone so wrong recently.

I hate the idea of trading down and then taking a chance on a kid when you can stay put and draft a for sure thing like we did last year. Not that we have that option this year anyways.
    Nothing is a sure thing. That pick is a good player but there was no guarantee.

The Vikings went from 3-13 to 10-6 and into the playoffs. Our running back had the second best season a running back has ever had in history. Kalil didn't solve all of our offensive problems but he must of solved a good portion of them problems. Maybe this year we find the receiver that fixes the deep ball problem.
    The record improved. To put the credit on Kalil is a bit crazy but hey, run with it.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    There are 2 train of thoughts here.

1) Wr should be addressed in FA and early in the draft.
    2) DL and LB is a bigger cause for concern.

Honestly..
    I would like to see us walk away with 1 of 3 players in the first round.
    Star Lotuleilei, Reid or Hunter.
    Hunter is going to go at the top of the 2nd and is a true talent. He struggled to come back after a bad knee injury in 2012 but looks to be fully healthy this offseason.

Star and Woods is one hell of a draft.
    The problem with taking one of the top WRs is who do you select after late in the 2nd.
    I rather select the top DT or LB or Safety in the draft and then select the 5th best wr in the 2nd because the opinion on who is the best WR in this draft is so muddled...hell can you list the best wrs in this draft in order. Ask 50 people that question and you will get 50 different answers. Some say Patterson, Some say Allen. Some say Austin..etc.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast