Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

WR inFA & the draft?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Former NFL scout Gary Horton figures the Vikings like only two of their returning receivers, and because Percy Harvin and Jarius Wright are both best-suited to play the slot position, there is probably an offseason need for "two quality edge receivers with some speed," Horton writes.
    This is one of the reasons I would be entertaining trade offers for Percy.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    This is one of the reasons I would be entertaining trade offers for Percy.
    While Wright flashed a few times last season let's not make a deal in haste. I think Wright is only going to get better but I wouldn't put him in PH's catagory just yet. Unless the Vikes get some good draft choices or a great player he ismore valuable to us on the field

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tarkenton10 View Post
    While Wright flashed a few times last season let's not make a deal in haste. I think Wright is only going to get better but I wouldn't put him in PH's catagory just yet. Unless the Vikes get some good draft choices or a great player he ismore valuable to us on the field
    I don't put Wright in the same category as Harvin at all. But I also don't see us keeping Harvin past this year. He is unhappy here, and we will have to overpay him to get him to stay - and even then he isn't guaranteed to not pull a Randy Moss.

I would rather get those good draft picks this year than nothing next year. Wright gives us the ability to do that.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    I don't put Wright in the same category as Harvin at all. But I also don't see us keeping Harvin past this year. He is unhappy here, and we will have to overpay him to get him to stay - and even then he isn't guaranteed to not pull a Randy Moss.

I would rather get those good draft picks this year than nothing next year. Wright gives us the ability to do that.
    I wouldn't count Harvin out of MN just yet. I think Spielman/Frazier are trying to work a long term contract with him. It needs to be the right contract, but I think MN will value him as high as most clubs on the market. The Carlson contract must have hit Percy square in the nuts.

He's a talented WR, so there will no doubt be drama, but a lot of his unhappiness/anxiety I'm sure is based upon his long term financial security. He is a wildcard in terms of his longevity, which will play to both sides.

If someone comes in and offers a great trade, then sure, let him go. But, I don't think it's a given that someone will offer enough to let him leave and the assumption that he will leave next year regardless so get what you can is a very dynamic thing.

smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    I agree with the author that the Vikings will bring in receivers in both free agency and through the draft.
    I question which scenario will ultimately make the team better:

1- Draft a fast and tall prospect early and bring in a free agent from the the left over bin of free agency on a flyer. This scenario is consistant with Spielman's team building philosophy and is most likely.

2- Deal Percy Harvin and insert Wright at slot reciever. Draft a fast, tall wide out with the first pick, and pick up a free agent from the leftover bin. This is still consistent with Spielman's philosophy.

3- Deal Percy Harvin and insert Wright at slot. Bring in Wallace in free agency, and draft a WR in the first 3 rounds.

Wright will never replace what Harvin brings, but will become a solid contributor with decent hands and speed. Trading Harvin for a player instead of picks could increase the value of a trade. In addition, the money Harvin wants could be used to lock up a guy like Wallace who is still young.

So which scenario makes the team better ?

I say number three, but I doubt Spielman will even consider it.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by smegmavike View Post
    I agree with the author that the Vikings will bring in receivers in both free agency and through the draft.
    I question which scenario will ultimately make the team better:

1- Draft a fast and tall prospect early and bring in a free agent from the the left over bin of free agency on a flyer. This scenario is consistant with Spielman's team building philosophy and is most likely.

2- Deal Percy Harvin and insert Wright at slot reciever. Draft a fast, tall wide out with the first pick, and pick up a free agent from the leftover bin. This is still consistent with Spielman's philosophy.

3- Deal Percy Harvin and insert Wright at slot. Bring in Wallace in free agency, and draft a WR in the first 3 rounds.

Wright will never replace what Harvin brings, but will become a solid contributor with decent hands and speed. Trading Harvin for a player instead of picks could increase the value of a trade. In addition, the money Harvin wants could be used to lock up a guy like Wallace who is still young.

So which scenario makes the team better ?

I say number three, but I doubt Spielman will even consider it.
    For #3, I think the money that would be spent on Wallace would be better spent with Harvin. If you trade Harvin for a quality player, then you will need to pick up his salary as well.

I like the option of keeping Harvin, drafting a WR in the first two rounds, keeping Simpson and bringing in another mid-tier FA. Dumping the likes of Burton, Aroma and Jenkins.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    We need 2 WR's minimum. Don't care how they add them as long as they play great or at least better than average.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    For #3, I think the money that would be spent on Wallace would be better spent with Harvin. If you trade Harvin for a quality player, then you will need to pick up his salary as well.

I like the option of keeping Harvin, drafting a WR in the first two rounds, keeping Simpson and bringing in another mid-tier FA. Dumping the likes of Burton, Aroma and Jenkins.
    Thats the rub right there...there isn't a single WR in FA who can hold a candle to Harvin's versatility and on field ferocity. Greg Jennings is even more injury prone than Harvin and not as fast or shifty. Wallace is faster, but only runs deep routes, no return game, no backup RB etc. Bowe is staying in KC, and does not have the focus nor work ethic anyway. All of these guys think they're going to be making $12+ mill/year. WAY better off to pay the man we have now!

Unless somebody offers us a WOW, Herschel Walker-type package, we're simply best off keeping Harvin. I say add a 1st and/or 2nd round draft pick, maybe a mid-tier FA like Hixon or Barden, and perhaps give Simpson another 1 year prove-it deal to compete in camp. I'm saying we need to backup our options and create more competition...not just plug some scraps in the holes and hope the dam don't break! Again!!

This is what I'm hoping for:

A true no.1 outside WR who runs all the routes: Keenen Allen? Hopkins? Woods??
    A bonafide all around threat from anywhere who excels from the slot: Percy Harvin
    Competition for no.2 outside deep-threat/backup slot guy: Jarius Wright, Jerome Simpson? Breaston? Justin Hunter? Hixon? Ogletree?
    Competition for a big body blocking and possession guy: Michael Jenkins, Ramses Barden? Massaquoi?
    Competition for a fast, developmental route runner: Ryan Swope? Kenny Stills? Stedman Bailey? Marquise Goodwin? Josh Boyce??

If Simpson returns healthy and earns his spot, we can still keep Wright as a backup and developmental guy, but Jumpin Jerome doesn't have a great track record for staying on field anyway. If one or more of these guys is a good returner/STer, maybe we even keep 6 WRs.

My plan is, make damn sure and have insurance that WR is not what it was last season.
    Last edited by mountainviking; 03-02-2013 at 10:23 AM.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainviking View Post
    Thats the rub right there...there isn't a single WR in FA who can hold a candle to Harvin's versatility and on field ferocity. Greg Jennings is even more injury prone than Harvin and not as fast or shifty. Wallace is faster, but only runs deep routes, no return game, no backup RB etc. Bowe is staying in KC, and does not have the focus nor work ethic anyway. All of these guys think they're going to be making $12+ mill/year. WAY better off to pay the man we have now!

Unless somebody offers us a WOW, Herschel Walker-type package, we're simply best off keeping Harvin. I say add a 1st and/or 2nd round draft pick, maybe a mid-tier FA like Hixon or Barden, and perhaps give Simpson another 1 year prove-it deal to compete in camp. I'm saying we need to backup our options and create more competition...not just plug some scraps in the holes and hope the dam don't break! Again!!

This is what I'm hoping for:

A true no.1 outside WR who runs all the routes: Keenen Allen? Hopkins? Woods??
    A bonafide all around threat from anywhere who excels from the slot: Percy Harvin
    Competition for no.2 outside deep-threat/backup slot guy: Jarius Wright, Jerome Simpson? Breaston? Justin Hunter? Hixon? Ogletree?
    Competition for a big body blocking and possession guy: Michael Jenkins, Ramses Barden? Massaquoi?
    Competition for a fast, developmental route runner: Ryan Swope? Kenny Stills? Stedman Bailey? Marquise Goodwin? Josh Boyce??

If Simpson returns healthy and earns his spot, we can still keep Wright as a backup and developmental guy, but Jumpin Jerome doesn't have a great track record for staying on field anyway. If one or more of these guys is a good returner/STer, maybe we even keep 6 WRs.

My plan is, make damn sure and have insurance that WR is not what it was last season.
    I don't think they will have Wright back up Simpson. I think Wright will back up Harvin if he stays, if he goes I think Wright will start in the slot.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast