Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WR depth

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Re: WR depth

Hosack made the highlight real in the NFL Europe clips.

Catch for a long TD run. Had to be 60 plus yards.

I think Hoag will make the team this year, at least I hope so anyway, I really like him as a guy who can fill in on occasion, as well as play special teams.

josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame

Well, according to a list on ESPN, these are the top unrestricted free agents still unsigned:

Az-Zahir Hakim
    Troy Edwards
    Ricky Proehl
    Bobby Wade
    Dez White

However, I don't know how up-to-date or accurate this list is. They still show Burleson as available.

I wouldn't worry too much yet. There will be second-chance players available in August during camp. There also may be some June cap-cuts, though I don't know how that list is looking this year. There will be some chances to address the depth at that position.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

"TheKnuck" wrote:
    i can't see robinson going the year without injury. hopefully williamson has improved in the offseason.

I'm thinking that you mean Marcus, and not Koren right?

Koren has proven to stay healthy, and Travis Taylor, and Troy Williamson should be good to go.. It is hard to predict if and when any one reciever will go down with a injury. If I had to guess which one would be a risk, it would have to be Marcus Robinson. He has had the injury bug in his career, and he is getting a little bit older then the rest of the pack.

I try not to think about these things, as it seems like every time you think of it, it ends up happening. I am sure they have their eyes on some other talent, whether it is FA's, or college kids that didn't get drafted. One way or the other, we will be ok..

eastcoastvikes is offline Starter

Alright, I know this isn't going to be a ppular sentiment. What about signing Marcus Vick as a WR? He was a pretty good one at Virginia Tech while Randall was still there. He's a guy who needs an avenue into the NFL and would give us a playmaker on the outside. Just a thought... what's everyone else think?

Sig courtesy of josdin00

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"eastcoastvikes" wrote:
    Alright, I know this isn't going to be a ppular sentiment. What about signing Marcus Vick as a WR? He was a pretty good one at Virginia Tech while Randall was still there. He's a guy who needs an avenue into the NFL and would give us a playmaker on the outside. Just a thought... what's everyone else think?
    I don't think there's any way Zygi and the Triangle of Doom would sign someone with that much baggage.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Redmption" wrote:
    After Taylor, Williamson and Robinson x 2 the WR depth is almost non existent. If one guy goes down its panic mode time, and two guys go down the Vikes will have to be in 2 WR sets all the time. I know they can always sign someone but there isnt much WR talent out there at the moment. Aaron Hosack is doing great in NFL Europe and hopefully he can bring it over here
    1. K. Rob
    2. T. Taylor
    3. M. Robinson
    4. T. Williamson
    5. Ryan Hoag
    6. Aaron Hosack
    7. Whoever this free agent guy we just signed on Monday

I'm not worried about WRs at all.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Braddock is offline Hall of Famer

"AWZeus" wrote:
    "eastcoastvikes" wrote:
    I don't think there's any way Zygi and the Triangle of Doom would sign someone with that much baggage.

=Z=
    I completely agree. Go to vikings.com and read a pre-draft interview by Childress and friends.... they talked more about the quality of people over anything else. Also, I get the impression Vick is a stubborn pre-madonna living off of his someone else's (brother's) glory. If we pick him up, we might as well add Mr. Brittany Spears himself, K. Fed.
    Trying to bring rationale to an irrational site

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

"eastcoastvikes" wrote:

I guess you do not get that 32 teams passed on him in the draft, and 32 teams passed on signing him as a Undrafted FA!

Why do you think that is? Because he is such a punk loser that teams do not want him on their teams! So do you think a team that for the last 3 months has said they want players with good character would take him?
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

adamkirsch is offline Training Camp

Depth at receiver doesn't bother me a bit. My bigger worry is whether any of our top four can really establish himself as a legit #1 receiver. But as for depth, when have we ever had more than 4 solid receivers? The last few years Keenan Howry was the 5th receiver, and that guy was, well, not that good.

For the 5th and maybe 6th spot on the roster, I think we have plenty of guys who are legit contenders:

(1) Hosack (playing well in Europe)
    (2) Chris Jones (undrafted fa last year who was highly regarded; spent most of last year on practice squad)
    (3) Hoag (all I ever saw this guy is catch everything that was thrown at him, and have some ability to do some things after the catch)
    (4) Hank Baskett
    (5) We have 3-4 other receivers on the roster right now to throw into the mix, as well.

In sum, not much worry about depth, but will any of our top 4 turn in a "stud" season?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast