Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Would the Contract-Year Players Be Worth Trading?

I think Chester would rather stay here and live out his contract.
    He knows his age, and how short his NFL life is, this is the best situation to stay in the NFL for a long time.

Trading T-Jack would probably only garner a 3rd round at best.
    He has shown that he is a good backup, but not much more.

Ray Edwards has no trade value.
    He'll stay here for the rest of the season, and be let go.
    He'll end up being a backup somewhere else.
    In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.- John Adams

The author clearly has a baseball mindset.
    I suppose it is that time of year.

For many reasons (salary cap, early trade deadline, common injuries) NFL teams don't really think in these terms.

Chester and Edwards will each give this team a lot of minutes this year.
    Last year of their contracts or not, they are going to be contributors.

Tarvaris could be anywhere from cut to the team's week 1 starter.
    But he has basically zero trade value and a lot of value as at least a backup for this team if Favre doesn't show.

You just don't trade those kind of guys in the NFL very often.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Poor Chester has never really had a chance with us to build himself to that level people would die to have him.
    I does well.
    He has skill.
    Heck when we got him away from the Ravens, people were scared of not knowing what they were getting.
    I wish he would have ended up on a team that he could have excelled on for a period of time.

The only way we get something good for him is if a team gets into depth issues during the season.

Edwards............. please!
    The guy was suppose to have 15 sacks last year, so he said.
    Edwards is worth a lot in his own mind, and even he would have a difficult time signing himself.
    LOL!
    I hope he can pick up that sack total, half of 15 would be nice.

"snowinapril" wrote:
    Edwards is worth a lot in his own mind, and even he would have a difficult time signing himself.
    LOL!
    There's a lot of negative hype on this guy thanks to that comment.
    But in reality, he's pretty good.
    His 5 sacks last year were as good or better than all but 26 DEs in the league last year.
    Plus he had 54 tackles, pretty decent for a DE.
    Not everyone can be Reggie White, but the guy is a solid starting defensive end.
    There would definitely be a market for Edwards.

But yeah, he might not get paid what he's looking for if he still thinks he's the best ever.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

"Overlord" wrote:
    "snowinapril" wrote:
    LOL!
    His 5 sacks last year were as good or better than all but 26 DEs in the league last year.
    Not everyone can be Reggie White, but the guy is a solid starting defensive end.

But yeah, he might not get paid what he's looking for if he still thinks he's the best ever.

+10000

Surprised Marr missed this

He is probably the one who doesn't put much stock into sack totals the most

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"Overlord" wrote:
    "snowinapril" wrote:
    LOL!

The guys next to him and behind him are pretty darn good, I'm guessing he doesn't get doubled much, and teams tend to run at him. I could be wrong though, time will tell.

delviking is offline Starter

taylor is to important to the team for us to trade no matter what. if something happened (knock on wood) to AP we know where we still stand with taylor.

T.J.
    i think is gonna win the starting job no matter what, its not that im a jackson fan he's irrated me to no end in the past. but either farve come and plays terrible or get really hurt. but jacksons got the edge. In half a season last year he played like he finally got it
    plus if farve starts to play poorly than childress has to do something to win just like last year,
    especially this year since its his contract year also, if im not mistakened.

edwards is not terrible but isnt that good Udeze was getting as many sacks and more tackles without the pressure of allen and if udeze is back to playing weight and form then more power to him.
    in the three years played by both (excluding the year udeze got injured) the sack count is miniminally different but a twenty tackle differerce in favor of udeze shows he was able to get to the ball carrier faster.

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    "Overlord" wrote:
    "snowinapril" wrote:
    LOL!

The guys next to him and behind him are pretty darn good, I'm guessing he doesn't get doubled much, and teams tend to run at him. I could be wrong though, time will tell.
    I think you're right on the first couple parts there, and then probably a bit off on the 'teams tend to run at him' part.

Teams actually were less efficient running to his side against us last year than when running towards Allen, and they only tried it a handful more times over the entire season (link).
    Of course, it's a team game and I think Winfield usually plays the left (offense's right) side, so that's probably part of the reason that teams were so bad running outside that direction.
    But it's tough to say that Edwards is any sort of liability in the run game.

The Vikes do have other talented players at that position: Udeze coming back, Robison is potentially a starting quality defensive end, etc.
    And the other three starters are obviously pro-bowlers.
    But that speaks more to the investment the team has made in high draft picks and quality players at the position than anything negative about Edwards.
    He's not at the level of the other starters on this line, but he's a solid player when compared to starters across the league.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12