Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SKOL is offline Ring of Fame

Would A 3-4 Work Against Indy?

I know it's a little early for speculating on the Monday night game, and we have two big home games coming up. That offense though, just scares me, and the way our Defense has been playing, I can see them putting up 50 points.

Houston's 3-4 was so effective because our OL never knew who was coming. Manning is so good at picking up the blitz, he'll burn our 4-3 all night. We have some young, very speedy, and athletic linebackers that would be well suited to a 3-4, and Cottrell has some experience running it. We might have a better chance of putting pressure on Manning with 4 players if Manning's OL doesn't know who's coming. We'd need more of a true nose tackle though... Darion Scott?

Anyway, this may sound dumb, but I think we need to try something different against Indy.

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good -Samuel Johnson - lexicographer
    The word genius isn t applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein - Joe Theisman

Their offense may scare us a bit, but ours should do the same to them. MOSS+PEP+ROBINSON+BURELSON+CAMPELL(sp)+WIGGINS+MOO RE+WILLIAMS=RECORD SETTING OFFENSE!
    Through Wind, Snow, Sleet, or Rain, all will feel the purple pain!

Del Rio Guest

I doubt we will run a 3-4. Could it work? Maybe, but they have a great RB who has been a huge factor for them the last few years. I would expect Cotrell being the master mind he is will play a cushy soft zone and let Manning pick us apart. And James will run a lot.

The thing that makes a 3-4 work is great LB's because essentially on every play you have one on the line as a lineman on the strong side. So you have a 4-4 only a staggard one with the option of dropping the LB/Lineman back in coverage.

Some teams drop a DE into coverage and this is basically a conservative 3-4.

I really don't know what to expect out of Cotrell, blitz wise. Either he will be a man and do his job or he will shrink and put together a weak timid D package that tries to do just enough to let our Offense squeek by. I hope he blitzes Manning, I hope he puts together something great. But I doubt it will include the 3-4 with James in the backfield

sitandbehitski is offline Asst. Coach

We barely had enough healthy LBers for a 4-3 against the Saints, running a 3-4 would just be retarded. Darrion Scott would be the worst choice for Nose Tackle, we would use Steve Martin instead. YEAH LET'S BLITZ THE CRAP OUTTA MANNING!!!! Hmmmm.... where did that get the Pack? Oh yeah, BURNED!!! As much as I'll get ripped for this, we don't have a New England Style Defense, or the personell, we need to play a little conservative against manning, when we do blitz have smart blitzes that don't put us in position to get burned. I do like our Corner matchups though, Winfield is short and quick and tough, much like Harrison, while Wayne is big, tough and a jumper, much like Williams. Stokley and their TE's will have big games against us, we need to find an answer for those guys first.
    I may be an a$$, but at least I m a smart one

I know one thing though, if we do blitz we have to have tighter coverage from our CB's. For some reason when we blitzed NO, our CB's played deep, leaving the middle of the field open. You'd think they would have played it tighter, assuming the QB won't have time to throw deep.

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good -Samuel Johnson - lexicographer
    The word genius isn t applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein - Joe Theisman

Del Rio Guest

I'd rather take my chances aggressively then giving Manning the options. Conservative D against Manning is going to be worse then letting him sit back there for 30 seconds and deciding if he wantd to hit his reciever on the left number or the right.

We have a better Defensive backfield then GB we all know this. No it doesn't show in the numbers but we do have some athletes. If you some out and say ok Manning you aren't going to see any blitzes just some conservative care bear D then I guarantee we lose this game.

Cause you can bet your ass Pepper will be getting blitzed alot.

I would normally want to blitz more too, but I have to agree with Sitandbehitski...we will get roasted. We just need to play conservative and hope some guys step up big and make plays. We need turnovers...and if we get them they would probably determine the outcome of the game I think.

Sig Created by MinnesotaFury

Maybe the 3-4 isn't the way to go, but we need to throw something different at them. Manning burns the blitz and if we just rush 4 we'll give him too much time and he'll pick us apart. That's why we need to throw off their OL. Not let them know who's coming. It would be impossible for them to scheme something they've never seen the Vikes do.

"sitandbehitski" wrote:
    We barely had enough healthy LBers for a 4-3 against the Saints, running a 3-4 would just be retarded.
    D. Thomas, EJ Henderson, Raonall Smith, Claiborne, etc. If they're all healthy, they're stealthy :bom:

sdvikefan is offline Hall of Famer

I agree the blitz will not work against Manning and the Colts. Manning needs so little time to dump off the ball to his TEs that it would be pointless to bring on the pressure.

To beat the Colts offense we have to learn from a team that has beaten them consistently before and that is New England. The Patriots are masters at turning the ball over and that's how we beat Indy. I know it's easier said than done. But Cottrell needs to get his gang to be in position to make picks and force fumbles to beat Indy. Because when Manning starts turning the ball over he starts to fall apart. We need turnovers to win that game. Without them it will be a very long night.
    "Meet at the quarterback!" -Purple People Eaters

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast