Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Woods to stay with Vikings

[size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt]Woods to stay with Vikings
    [/size] [/size] [/size] [/size] [/size] [/size] [/size] [/size] [/size] [/size] [/size] [/size] [/size]

Posted Jan 4, 2008

Defensive backs coach Joe Woods interviewed with the Detroit Lions for a position, but he has decided to stay with the Vikings.

http://min.scout.com/a.z?s=63&p=2&c=717071
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Woods to stay with Vikings

Thanks Marr.

I'm happy that we keep Woods, I have faith in him.

Chilly gave permission for two coaches to do interviews, with one of them being not optional. That were Fraizer interviewing for a HC gig in Miami. That means this was a pretty safe bet it were a job as DB coach that Woods interviewed for.

As the article says, it's his old buddys from the Tampa days that are in charge at the Lions. I think it's a nice gesture by Chilly to allow his staff to seek other opportunities, and get experience at interviewing. But he must have been pretty confident that Woods would stay put, as this is a division rival we're talking about.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

Let me add a couple of the best quotes from the article:

In fact, in a conversation with Bucs defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin back when the Vikings hired Woods, Kiffin went out his way to praise Woods, who worked for him as a quality control assistant, and predicted bigger things for him eventually.
    His entire group is well coached and have a lot of camaraderie as a unit, which is a reflection of his demeanor on the practice field.
    That should show you what he's all about

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

"cogitans" wrote:
    Thanks Marr.

Chilly gave permission for two coaches to do interviews, with one of them being not optional. That were Fraizer interviewing for a HC gig in Miami. That means this was a pretty safe bet it were a job as DB coach that Woods interviewed for.

As the article says, it's his old buddys from the Tampa days that are in charge at the Lions. I think it's a nice gesture by Chilly to allow his staff to seek other opportunities, and get experience at interviewing. But he must have been pretty confident that Woods would stay put, as this is a division rival we're talking about.
    If we loose Woods I believe it will be to the Steelers.
    Tomlin will eventually want to bring in his own guy to be the D-coord there.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

Thanks Marr, I too am happy to see Woods stay. It looks like Detroit is implementing their version of the T-2, and hopefully Frazier doesn't get offered the HC job in Miami, we will finally get some consistant defensive coaching. We all know that the defensive players we have are better understood by these guys and keeping them in the same system playing to the players strengths, we will be playing faster, with less thinking next season. Consistency baby 8)

DC

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

Yeah, I remember him being one of Tomlin's hand picked guys...Glad he's sticking around!!
    Man some consistency at DC would be great!!
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "cogitans" wrote:
    Thanks Marr.

If we loose Woods I believe it will be to the Steelers.
    Tomlin will eventually want to bring in his own guy to be the D-coord there.
    I was thinkin the same thing

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

"cogitans" wrote:
    Thanks Marr.

I don't know, I think it was more than a gesture.
    Whenever you let a guy interview there's a real chance he could leave.
    But I think it's a better policy to let people interview and move on to bigger and better things when they can, rather than have frustrated coaches working for you.

I am worried that if we keep losing these guys that we're going to run out of people of the Dungy coaching tree to come in and replace them.
    That said, it sounds like we're not going to lose anybody this year.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

"Overlord" wrote:
    "cogitans" wrote:
    Thanks Marr.

I don't know, I think it was more than a gesture.
    Whenever you let a guy interview there's a real chance he could leave.
    But I think it's a better policy to let people interview and move on to bigger and better things when they can, rather than have frustrated coaches working for you.

I am worried that if we keep losing these guys that we're going to run out of people of the Dungy coaching tree to come in and replace them.
    That said, it sounds like we're not going to lose anybody this year.
    I hear ya but I think we are growing a few of our own. I am messing with a computer I am rebuilding for my son so I can't work my magic, but it seems to me that Woods has a position coach that works for him.

Also, this is kindof like a virus.
    If the Vikings staff continues to produce interest and they keep getting positions of higher authority at other teams, othe coaches will want to come and get in on it.

It is a very interesting study on the Coaches that came out of the Walsh Tree and I am not just talking about the guys that are the HC's.

As I stated previously, this is a very good indicator that what this staff (not just the Chiller) is on the right track.

Schutz is offline Team Alumni

Whew, that was close.
    We lose woods and next season was pretty much a wash.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast