Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1234 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Wk 1. Redskins.

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Wk 1. Redskins.

"Braddock" wrote:
    I want it to be a close game so we can fly low under the radar, than when we face the Panthers, BAM!!! Blow up and take it
    from them in a huge way. 2-0 start here we come.
    i have to admit, i really think the panthers will be a tough game

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

I am still looking for some Vikes Fans to suds a few with at the game.
    Anyone gonna be there or do I have to take on all Redskins fans with just my wife and son
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

dmek25 is offline Waterboy

how many points are the vikings going to score with todd pinkston being their best receiver? the skins win easily 27-7

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

"dmek25" wrote:
    how many points are the vikings going to score with todd pinkston being their best receiver? the skins win easily 27-7

Nice first post LOSER

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

VAKirks is offline Training Camp

"Vikefanman2000" wrote:
    You can't have an undefeated season without starting out 1-0!

I could not agree more.

We need to win all of our away games and not lose any at home.
    Plus we need to win all the NFC games and add the AFC games for bonus.
    And let's not forget the playoffs... you get the picture.

(fan is short for FANatic!!)
    Go Vikes.
    Bring me the prisoners; I want them alive!

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

This Yahoo read, sure makes me feel good..

Bumbling Redskins

By Charles Robinson, Yahoo! Sports
    September 3, 2006

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. – It might be a teaspoon of supreme confidence with a dash of twisted genius. That or maybe the Washington Redskins are in bigger trouble than they're letting on.

A winless preseason has come and gone, and the assumed NFC powerhouse spent the last month running stripped-down schemes, resting injured players and generally looking like a beach ball that had a piano dropped on it. In turn, the storm clouds have churned overhead, and Washington has started to look like a frontrunner in the race for the most talented NFC East team likely to stumble and miss the playoffs. And if it wasn't for Joe Gibbs – whose team went 0-4 during the 1982 preseason but reached the next two Super Bowls – it might be time to panic.

Or maybe it's beyond that point.

"I'm not going to sit here and tell you what's going to happen, when it's going to happen or what's going to make it better," said Redskins wideout Santana Moss, after Washington had suffered a 41-0 humbling at New England. "But when we get it – if we get it – you'll know. I can't tell you any more than that. I don't know. To be honest, I'm lost with it. I don't have anything else to say."

Certainly, it was an empty August, with Clinton Portis suffering a separated shoulder early in the team's first preseason game and Washington responding by getting outscored 104-27 in four ugly losses. But as bad as it was, the lack of success remains hard to quantify. Beyond shaping rosters, the NFL's preseason is largely a game of schematic peek-a-boo, where potential is shadowy and statistics are misleading. Facts that couldn't have been illustrated more clearly than last season, when Ben Roethlisberger and the Steelers looked atrocious leading up to the regular season, then flipped the switch on a World Championship team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Whether Washington has that kind of ability depends on what you believe – your eyes, which showed a first-team offense that couldn't stay on the field and a first-team defense that couldn't get off it, and individual players losing vital one-on-one battles? Or do you go with your ears, which are told the Redskins are merely failing in bland schemes that don't feature a fraction of Washington's vast situational capabilities?

Where it concerns the latter, the Redskins' coordinators have brushed off any suggestion of panic. Offensive coordinator Al Saunders has insisted he was revealing about two percent of his biblically long 700-page playbook in the preseason. And to his credit, the Redskins have utilized very little shifting and motion – two trademarks of Saunders' units. Meanwhile, defensive coordinator Gregg Williams was missing key starters much of the preseason, and dialed back the blitz schemes that became Washington's spine in the 2005 playoff push.

"It's not a total excuse. It was pretty much vanilla out there," said Redskins defensive tackle Joe Salevea. "But you can't blame it all on that. We're not executing basic things, and that's a big problem. How are you supposed to (implement) the whole thing when you can't even get your fundamentals right? That goes against everything we stand for."

Another ominous reality: Washington is already dealing with some significant health issues. Cornerback Shawn Springs has been out since mid-August after having abdominal surgery and now appears likely to miss at least the season-opener against the Vikings. Defensive end Phillip Daniels was sidelined for three preseason games with back issues, and defensive tackle Cornelius Griffin has been out since Aug. 19 with a sprained right knee. Both Daniels and Griffin are expected to return for the season-opener.

Yet, the problems for Springs and Griffin remain troubling, considering they are arguably sitting atop the list of players Washington's defense can't afford to lose. The Redskins' interior defense went soft when Griffin suffered a hip injury in an embarrassing 36-0 loss to the Giants last season. Not only is he still the team's best run-stuffing lineman, he's the anchor in the middle of the line that allows the front seven to function on the far edge with aggression that Williams favors.

As for Springs, his injury leaves Carlos Rogers to cover opposing No. 1 wideouts. And considering some of Rogers' struggles in the preseason – not to mention the erratic coverage abilities of Adam Archuleta – he's likely going to get tested on a four-quarter basis. Keeping in mind the issues the safeties and linebackers had with Patriots tight end Ben Watson in the preseason, the secondary has looked mediocre at best.

That might have been a bigger story over the last few weeks had it not been overshadowed by an offense that appeared to be operating in quicksand. Despite the additions of Saunders and some high-priced talent, quarterback Mark Brunell and the starters failed to score a single point in the preseason. Brunell finished 16 of 35 and rarely looked sharp, although he wasn't working with his full complement of wideouts on a consistent basis. Even Portis' injury seemed to cause some unexpected waves when the Redskins traded for T.J. Duckett – something that didn't sit well with the other backs who thought it was their chance to step up and contribute.

"We'd like a little more consistency with the passing game," Brunell said. "Obviously the reads, accuracy and just managing the game I think those things will get better. … (But) running basic sets is no excuse for us not being able to run the ball better or throw the ball better."

"We're still grasping this thing offensively," Moss added. "It's not an overnight thing. We're still trying to get this thing to where we're locked into it and we have it. But you have to go out there and play like that. Games are really meaningful. It's true we're not winning. And it's true we're not looking good. But we're doing some things that we know are going to help us down the road. These games are really helping us even though it doesn't look like we're doing anything."

The proof is bound to come soon enough. Of all the teams with question marks heading into the regular season, the Redskins top the charts in every unit. History shows Gibbs has been able to cope and adjust to frustrating starts before. Whether he can continue that trend, well, even he seems to be grasping at that answer.

"We've got a lot of straightening out to do and we're certainly going to have to play much better if we're going to win a game against Minnesota," Gibbs said after the preseason finale against the Ravens. "Teams are tough things to predict. I certainly can't do it. I'm going to be as nervous as anybody in here can believe (when the season opens) on Monday night."

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

Prophet Guest

"dmek25" wrote:
    Insightful post.
    Does PP.O give honorary HOF status to new members that come out of the box swinging?

Skins fan here.

Just been curious as to what other teams thought about our chances with the upcoming games. I stumbled upon this site and noticed that there seems to be overwhelming confidence in beating us on opening day. Just curious as to the reasoning behind that. I'm always up for hearing some facts and observations from opposing fans.

To be sure, Skins nation is VERY concerned about Mark Brunell. We all know that if he's slightly hurt, he doesn't throw well. Most of the people on the forum I'm a member of, think we'll win easily. Even though I think we'll win, that won't be the case.

Just some food for thought on the positive side: Joe Gibbs is undefeated against the Vikings in his career. The Redskins have a pretty decent opening day winning streak going on. Clinton Portis WILL play. He is already ahead of schedule on rehab and had the last preseason game been a real game, he would have already played. Last time Joe Gibbs was 0-4 in the preseason, the Skins won the Super Bowl.

I see some of your members mention that no team should get walloped like the Skins did against the Patriots. I just want to remind you of the third game the Colts played in preseason last year as well where they got shallacked by the Bengals.

To give credit where it's due, the Vikings has one of the better left line sides in the game. That is a concerning factor to me. That's really where the concern ends. No matter what kind of fan you are, Chester Taylor hasn't really lit up the world and losing Koren Robinson, the team's best receiving threat can only hurt.

While I don't think it will be a blowout my any means,
    I think the Vikings would have to play their VERY best game and the Skins play at 50% or worse for the Vikes to pull out a win. I know it's "Any given Sunday," but only losing one home game last year AND the team only improving in the offseason has to have you concerned just a wee bit.

Prophet Guest

I'm looking forward to the game and am well aware of the worthless nature of using preseason games to forecast future success.

I really don't think that many rational fans are thinking the season opener in Redstick territory will be a cake-walk.
    The Redsticks have a formidable team and the Vikings have a team that is better than many of the pundits predict.

I'm looking forward to a hard fought game, if the Vikes starting D looks anything like it did in the preseason games the Vikings will have a good chance for an upset on opening day.

The defense was definitely looking particularly nasty. If that's the case, it's going to be a field position battle and God knows we have possibly the worst punter in the league (and maybe kicker for that matter). The secondary is above average and your front four is great. I would think your main worry would be the linebackers. I see Cooley having room underneath as well as quite a few screen passes. Too bad for Greenway, I was really looking forward to seeing him play. He would have instantly helped that LB corps.

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1234 12 ... LastLast