Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Wk 1. Redskins.

Thermodyne is offline Training Camp

Re: Wk 1. Redskins.

You got to be kidding me.
    Winfield is not exactly a cover corner.
    Hunter is average at best.
    And Griffin’s a rookie.
    Then at safety you have Baker…Who the heck is he?
    Smith is really a slow corner.
    Sharper is a little old to have to match up on four wide.
    And Blue is a rookie.
    These guys are not bad, but they are not great either.
    Often they will be looking at three wide and a tight end that combined for about 240 catches and 3500 yards last year.
    Do you really think your guys can shut them down? Get real. We let Smoot go partly because he got beat too much in one on one.
    Who else have you got?
    What’s that you say….A rookie head coach….Please….
    You say that you have a new back…LOL. How many of your backs have ever rushed for a 1000?
    900?
    Perhaps 800? Yep Monday night we will see who is doing the jerking.

As to last year let’s just take the last five.
    One team went 5-0 the other 3-2.

And if the skins receivers are lollypops, that would make the vikes receivers what?
    ½ as good?
    1/3 as good?
    Heck Moss out did you whole receiving corp.

Yes sir, it sure is going to be fun around here Monday night.
    You all do show up after a loss?

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"Thermodyne" wrote:
    You got to be kidding me.
    Winfield is not exactly a cover corner.
    Hunter is average at best.
    And Griffin’s a rookie.
    Then at safety you have Baker…Who the heck is he?
    Smith is really a slow corner.
    Sharper is a little old to have to match up on four wide.
    And Blue is a rookie.
    These guys are not bad, but they are not great either.
    Often they will be looking at three wide and a tight end that combined for about 240 catches and 3500 yards last year.
    Do you really think your guys can shut them down? Get real. We let Smoot go partly because he got beat too much in one on one.
    Who else have you got?
    What’s that you say….A rookie head coach….Please….
    You say that you have a new back…LOL. How many of your backs have ever rushed for a 1000?
    900?
    Perhaps 800? Yep Monday night we will see who is doing the jerking.

As to last year let’s just take the last five.
    One team went 5-0 the other 3-2.

And if the skins receivers are lollypops, that would make the vikes receivers what?
    ½ as good?
    1/3 as good?
    Heck Moss out did you whole receiving corp.

Yes sir, it sure is going to be fun around here Monday night.
    You all do show up after a loss?

We show up every day...will you?
    I will actually be at the game (see Tailgate thread for details).
    If you are gonna be at the game, drop on by.
    Details are in the Tailgate thread.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"Thermodyne" wrote:
    OK boys and girls, it’s smack talking time and this is it.

The Skins are without Portis and Springs.
    So you get them at about 75% to 80% strength.
    They are looking past the Vikings because Dallas is lurking next on the schedule.
    And lets not forget how awful they looked in preseason----right?
    Should be an easy win for the Vikes, right?
    I think not.
    You guys are toast!
    This one will be a win for the Skins and the beginning of an early end for you guys.
    You’ll lose this one and several of the next games, leaving you 2-6 or 3-5 for the first half and out of it before Thanksgiving.
    And let’s face it, you guys are not going to win, no way no how.
    The Redskin defense will have ol Brad tipping his helmet and rubbing his forehead before the first series is over.
    And on the other side of the ball, well we all know that Smoot will be trying to cover Moss.
    But your next four guys don’t match up that well.
    What’s that you say?
    Look at what you did at the end of last year.
    I did, and just look at the people you beat, that was a real soft second half.

The Vikes were 3-1 at home and 3-1 on the road for the final eight.
    Beating the Giants and the power houses of Green Bay, Cleveland, Detroit, St Louis, and a Chicago team that had clinched in the closer.
    And getting beat by Pittsburg and (snicker) Baltimore.
    With that second half, I wouldn’t be banking on it as being much of an indicator of greatness.
    So tune in Monday night and don’t forget it starts early.
    I would want you to miss any of the spanking that the skins are going to give them.
    ;D

Our D line is gonna PUNISH Brunell...we will be the ones with the short field come Monday!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

MaddenVodkaAddict is offline Coordinator

Minnesota 17
    Washington 20
    I Love Kerry Collins (and John Rocker).

Prophet Guest

"Thermodyne" wrote:

I like how you built in an excuse in your trash talking post.
    How convenient.

They are looking past the Vikings because Dallas is lurking next on the schedule.
    I think not.
    You guys are toast!
    This one will be a win for the Skins and the beginning of an early end for you guys.
    You’ll lose this one and several of the next games, leaving you 2-6 or 3-5 for the first half and out of it before Thanksgiving.
    There are many on this site that predicted a 2-3 start going into the season.
    No big deal.
    The team will surprise many as the season rolls on.
    New coaching staff, new offense, and new defense all held nicely together by a team chemistry that hasn't been evident for years.
    The Redskins are going into the game as 4.5 pt favorites.
    Considering you get 3 pts for being the home team you get 1.5 pts.
    It appears that the game will be a defensive battle and turnovers/mistakes will dictate who wins.

That being said, I would much rather have Brad Johnson than Mark Brunnell making the decisions.
    The battle of the veteran QBs.
    The Vikings D-line will make Brunnell look like a genetic mutant with defective genes from Ryan Leaf, Kerry Collins, Aaron Brooks, and Daunte Culpepper melded into a pathetic QB that has a perpetual deer in the headlights look with a propensity to lose the ball more often than Snyder whacks off in front of his full-length mirror after a W.

The Redskin defense will have ol Brad tipping his helmet and rubbing his forehead before the first series is over.
    And on the other side of the ball, well we all know that Smoot will be trying to cover Moss.
    Do your homework.
    Smoot is the guy I'm most worried about, not the strength.
    Not really true, with Tomlin calling the shots the Redsticks won't have the luxury of looking for a weakness and than exploiting it the whole game.
    Unlike our former D-coordinator there will be game-time adjustments.
    Brunell will be forced into a one-sided attack and the mutant genes will kick in.
    It's almost comical thinking about it, I hope the cameramen get plenty of close-ups of Brunnel's eyes before he hits the turf.

What’s that you say?

Beating the Giants and the power houses of Green Bay, Cleveland, Detroit, St Louis, and a Chicago team that had clinched in the closer.
    With that second half, I wouldn’t be banking on it as being much of an indicator of greatness.

I can agree with that, but you forgot something, your analysis isn't even close to correct in its interpretation.
    The only thing the end of last year did was to give Zygi Wilf confidence that Brad Johnson can lead the team and gave him confidence that it was time to clean house on the coaching staff.
    Nothing more.
    If you had a clue about our offseason transactions you would know that the team coming on the field this year has nothing to do with last year's team.
    Sure, they are still the Vikings, but they are going back to old-school football, a type of football that hasn't been played in MN since before you were born.

I would want you to miss any of the spanking that the skins are going to give them.
    ;D

You bet we'll be watching.
    I'm also guessing you'll be one of those guys that disappears into the shadows after your warm glass of milk right before you go to bed on Monday night.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

[size=13pt]Final roster spots start to firm up for opener[/size]

Kevin Seifert and Judd Zulgad, Star Tribune staff writers
    Last update: September 07, 2006 – 9:06 PM

The Vikings' few remaining personnel questions are beginning to clear up as they move into final preparations for Monday night's season opener against Washington.
    Barring a change of plans, it appears that first-year player Ronyell Whitaker is the team's No. 3 cornerback. Whitaker will defend the inside slot when the Vikings' defense calls for three cornerbacks on the field. Rookie Cedric Griffin would be the dime back in that scenario.

But if a particular matchup called for Griffin to work in the nickel package instead of Whitaker, Griffin would play on the outside while starter Antoine Winfield moves inside to defend the slot receiver.

Meanwhile, Whitaker is one of three players returning kickoffs, along with receiver Troy Williamson and running back Mewelde Moore. Williamson appears the most likely candidate to return the first kick.

Finally, it would be surprising if recently acquired Brooks Bollinger is not the No. 2 quarterback behind Brad Johnson. Rookie Tarvaris Jackson would play in an emergency.

Coach Brad Childress said he would not make any final decisions until later this week.

"I'm not giving anybody a competitive advantage," Childress said, "nor am I going to show my hand."

Portis skeptical about return

Washington running back Clinton Portis practiced Thursday in full pads for the first time since separating his shoulder Aug. 13. But Portis indicated to reporters in Washington that it's unlikely he'll play this week. Portis termed his shoulder as 75 percent healthy.

If Portis can not play, Ladell Betts would replace him in the starting lineup.

In other injury news, Redskins cornerback Shawn Springs (abdomen) will not play, meaning former Vikings cornerback Kenny Wright will start in his place.

McCombs: Bad trade

In an interview with the Washington Post, former owner Red McCombs said he strongly opposed the Vikings' decision to trade quarterback Daunte Culpepper. The Vikings received a second-round pick from Miami, which they used to draft New Mexico offensive lineman Ryan Cook.

"I think they made a terrible mistake letting Daunte go and getting almost nothing for him," McCombs said. "I think he's one of the top five quarterbacks in the league. He's a good team guy. We brought him along and developed him. I don't think they should have traded him.

"But I do think [new starter] Brad Johnson will do a great job. He'll give them some good leadership."

We're not making this up

The Vikings have limited the public profile of affable personnel director Rick Spielman. But on Thursday, they shoved him in front of the cameras to host a demeaning faux news conference.

Spielman was tapped to introduce the Vikings' "Lucky Charm Fan," part of a marketing agreement with the cereal's manufacturer, General Mills. He presented a fan named Charles Lilicrap, who will accompany the Vikings to Washington and continue as the team's "Lucky Charm" until they lose a game.

Seriously.

Morgan on hold

The agent for receiver Quincy Morgan said Thursday that if his client is going to end up with the Vikings, it probably won't be until next week. Morgan, released by Pittsburgh last weekend in the cutdown to 53 players, worked out for the Vikings on Tuesday.

Because Morgan is in his sixth season, his base salary would be guaranteed if he were on the Vikings' roster this weekend. He also could contribute as a kickoff returner.

"We'd like to see him in Minnesota," agent Brian Overstreet said.

Etc.

• Left tackle Bryant McKinnie said he doesn't expect to have to wear any padding on his left hand in the opener. McKinnie fractured his left middle finger during training camp and wore a club-like device for much of the preseason.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"I'm not giving anybody a competitive advantage," Childress said, "nor am I going to show my hand."

;D Childress = the anti-Tice
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

"NodakPaul" wrote:

;D Childress = the anti-Tice
    Please…It’s not like he was the first choice.
    And at his last job the head coach didn’t even let him call plays.
    But he is a step up from club Tice.
    We had the same problem with Club Turner.
    Whay do I say this?
    Because ol Brad was the leader of both clubs..er...teams.

crazyB is offline Starter

at last i'll get to see this game as they show monday night football on a local tv station in the UK.
    hope it's not the only game i get to see this season as sky sport's in the UK don't seem to show many vikings game's.

8)
    ;D
    8)

8) crazyB that s Mr crazyB to you 8)

"Prophet" wrote:
    "Thermodyne" wrote:

I like how you built in an excuse in your trash talking post.
    How convenient.

I think not.
    You guys are toast!
    There are many on this site that predicted a 2-3 start going into the season.
    No big deal.
    The team will surprise many as the season rolls on.
    New coaching staff, new offense, and new defense all held nicely together by a team chemistry that hasn't been evident for years.
    The Redskins are going into the game as 4.5 pt favorites.
    Considering you get 3 pts for being the home team you get 1.5 pts.
    It appears that the game will be a defensive battle and turnovers/mistakes will dictate who wins.

That being said, I would much rather have Brad Johnson than Mark Brunnell making the decisions.
    The battle of the veteran QBs.
    The Vikings D-line will make Brunnell look like a genetic mutant with defective genes from Ryan Leaf, Kerry Collins, Aaron Brooks, and Daunte Culpepper melded into a pathetic QB that has a perpetual deer in the headlights look with a propensity to lose the ball more often than Snyder whacks off in front of his full-length mirror after a W.

Do your homework.
    Smoot is the guy I'm most worried about, not the strength.
    Not really true, with Tomlin calling the shots the Redsticks won't have the luxury of looking for a weakness and than exploiting it the whole game.
    Unlike our former D-coordinator there will be game-time adjustments.
    Brunell will be forced into a one-sided attack and the mutant genes will kick in.
    It's almost comical thinking about it, I hope the cameramen get plenty of close-ups of Brunnel's eyes before he hits the turf.

What’s that you say?

I can agree with that, but you forgot something, your analysis isn't even close to correct in its interpretation.
    The only thing the end of last year did was to give Zygi Wilf confidence that Brad Johnson can lead the team and gave him confidence that it was time to clean house on the coaching staff.
    Nothing more.
    If you had a clue about our offseason transactions you would know that the team coming on the field this year has nothing to do with last year's team.
    Sure, they are still the Vikings, but they are going back to old-school football, a type of football that hasn't been played in MN since before you were born.

;D

You bet we'll be watching.
    I'm also guessing you'll be one of those guys that disappears into the shadows after your warm glass of milk right before you go to bed on Monday night.

So you are the Prophet.
    Did you pick that name because you get advice on picks from the almighty?
    Sure, you added some players during the off season.
    But only one of them was really a high end acquisition, and he will be lost among the would be linemen around him.
    Your best running back has been so-so at best, and that was behind one of the better run lines in the NFL.
    You only have one good receiver, and he peaked four or five years ago, been falling off ever since.
    Your D will keep you above 500 when the dust settles, but only because of the dead beats you get to play twice a year.
    Detroit and Green Bay are 4 wins; you only need to find five more.
    Sorry, but Monday just isn’t one of them.

I guess Tuesday we can change your name to Fallen Prophet.

Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast