Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Muggsy is offline Asst. Coach

Witnesses are surprised that McKinnie, Johnson jailed

Just saw this by the Pioneer Press. Sorry if it's a repeat. Wonder what's going on here?

==============================================

Two Vikings arrested

Witnesses surprised McKinnie, Johnson jailed after early-morning dispute

BY LEE EGERSTROM and BETH SILVER

Pioneer Press

Vikings offensive linemen Bryant McKinnie and Marcus Johnson were arrested early Monday, charged with disorderly conduct and obstructing the legal process.

They each posted $50 bond and were released from the Hennepin County jail.

Minneapolis police said the players refused to leave Bobby and Steve's Auto World, a gas station and deli that is a popular gathering spot for the after-bar crowd near downtown.

Two witnesses said otherwise. A store employee and an off-duty security guard said they didn't see the players do anything to justify being hauled off to jail.

"There was an argument between McKinnie and another man, but it wasn't physical or anything like that," said Jared Scheeler, a Bobby and Steve's manager.

Police were called to a disturbance about 3 a.m. at the station, 1221 Washington Ave. S., said Minneapolis police spokesman Ron Reier.

That's when police say they saw McKinnie and Johnson involved in an argument with other men inside the station. When police attempted to clear the station, McKinnie and Johnson refused to leave, Reier said, and the two were arrested.

The two were taken to jail a short time later on the misdemeanor counts while other police officers arrived to get the rest of the crowd to leave the station, according to a police report.

The Vikings beat the New Orleans Saints 33-16 on Sunday afternoon for their first victory of the season.

Vikings coach Mike Tice called the situation odd and said he had heard the players were not involved in a fight.

"I don't know that there was anything done wrong. But let that play out before we judge too harshly," Tice said Monday during at a news conference at Winter Park, the team's practice facility in Eden Prairie.

"I wish they wouldn't be out until 3:05 in the morning, but they were at a restaurant, having breakfast. That much I do know."

McKinnie, a 6-foot-8, 335-pound offensive tackle, was the seventh pick in the 2002 NFL draft and has started every game at left tackle since joining the team.

Johnson, a 6-6, 320-pound offensive guard, was the team's second-round pick this year out of Mississippi. He was the first rookie offensive lineman to open the season in the starting lineup since Todd Steussie in 1994.

McKinnie ignored requests for comment Monday. Johnson declined to say anything.

Nathan Tow, an off-duty security officer who was at the station during the incident, said he was surprised by the players' arrest. Tow, of Burnsville, said McKinnie was part of a group of about 10 people who had gathered near a coffee counter.

Police told McKinnie to leave, but the player couldn't move because the store was too crowded, Tow said.

Tow said the incident began when a woman yelled at a group of men that included the football players. The woman hit a security guard over the head with a pizza box, Tow said. The unidentified woman was not arrested.

Scheeler was doing inventory when the disturbance broke out. He said Johnson tried to keep McKinnie calm during the argument but did not see Johnson do anything else.

McKinnie and Johnson are scheduled to make their initial court appearance at 8:30 a.m. Monday in Hennepin County District Court.
    "From the fury of the Northmen, O Lord, save us!"
    -- From a monestary in Ireland.

natethegreat is offline Pro-Bowler

Re: Witnesses are surprised that McKinnie, Johnson jailed

okay good this sounds alot better than most of the other stories, at first i thought johnson and mckinnie got into a fight with each other, doesn't even sound like they did anything bad at all

PurplePackerEater is offline Ring of Fame

Tow said the incident began when a woman yelled at a group of men that included the football players. The woman hit a security guard over the head with a pizza box, Tow said. The unidentified woman was not arrested.

LMAO!

What's wrong with people?

It's crazy that the ONLY one to hit anybody was a woman, and nothing happens her.

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

Man thats so stupid they where arrested. Just becuase thier NFL players....I'll put money on that.

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

natethegreat is offline Pro-Bowler

normally they get out of stuff like this because they are famous but this time its the other way around

vikesfan353 is offline Starter

The cops must be packer fans!!!!!!!!WTF
    For every question an answer! For every answer a why?

donjen95 is offline Rookie

who cares. just play football.

cc21 is offline Ring of Fame

So they got sent to jail for arguing with someone in a public place. That is pretty dumb.

audioghost is offline Star Spokesman

Yeah, the whole thing was b/s! They shoulda never got arrested! I saw the video of it on www.wcco.com in the sports section.....I was like WOW, what a load of garbage!

A.G s HOTTEST NEW RAP CD: AUDIO GHOST & MAIN EVENT drop THE SEED: I made tha beats www.myspace.com/audioghost2006

cc21 is offline Ring of Fame

"audioghost" wrote:
    Yeah, the whole thing was b/s! They shoulda never got arrested! I saw the video of it on www.wcco.com in the sports section.....I was like WOW, what a load of garbage!
    how do I find the video on there audio?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast