Thread: Withrow's Block

dan3ski is offline Coordinator

Withrow's Block

That is one block I would like to see outlawed!I have seen three such blocks this year and each time the player who was blocked has gotten injured. I think the size and speed of these players today with the training that is avaible that the NFL should not alow blocking from the knee's down. I know it was a legal block but I am totally against that kind of block. These players make a living from this game and any injuries that could end a players career is not a good thing.
    can we clone Bud Grant?

rjkvikings is offline Asst. Coach

Withrow's Block

I agree 100%. I hate seeing any player injured, especially if they are injured by something that could have easily been avoided.

Withrow's Block

I mean it only takes 8 lbs of pressure per square inch to break the human bone and there are very few players in the NFL under 200 lbs and with a helmet on a hit in the ankles or knees can do alot of damage.
    can we clone Bud Grant?

Del Rio Guest

Withrow's Block

Cut blocking has been around since the dawn of time. It has a purpose and if used correctly is very effective. They make a living doing this is true. But the sport in it's basic form is violent and injury prone.

You aren't allowed to cut or chop while someone is allready being engaged. Maybe if they tweak it a bit it will be safer but I like it I like what it is intended for and I would highly doubt it get's banned.

Maybe the rule should only allow people on the line of scrimmage to chop and only from the front?

Either way I would be surprised if it goes away, refined? Perhaps.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Withrow's Block

"Del Rio" wrote:
    Cut blocking has been around since the dawn of time. It has a purpose and if used correctly is very effective. They make a living doing this is true. But the sport in it's basic form is violent and injury prone.

You aren't allowed to cut or chop while someone is allready being engaged. Maybe if they tweak it a bit it will be safer but I like it I like what it is intended for and I would highly doubt it get's banned.

Maybe the rule should only allow people on the line of scrimmage to chop and only from the front?

Either way I would be surprised if it goes away, refined? Perhaps.
    Post 666 for you.... :evil: (cue devil music)
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Withrow's Block

I think it is a very cheap block and I was under the impression that you could not leave your feet to block below the waist away from the line of scrimmage.
    can we clone Bud Grant?

Del Rio Guest

Withrow's Block

I believe it is a legal block.

The cut blocks I am ever so fond of are on the line though. To help keep defenders hands down, and help avoid the ever desirable three yards deep.