Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Withrow says Fowler has won the center job

BY SEAN JENSEN

Pioneer Press

Before the season, after the Vikings traded for veteran Melvin Fowler, starting center Cory Withrow said the job was his to lose.

After four games, Withrow said his run as starter is over.

During the past two days at practice, Fowler has taken the bulk of the snaps with the first-string offense, and he is poised to make his first start Sunday in Chicago.

"They made their decision, and I've got no one to blame but myself," Withrow said Thursday. "They gave me a chance, and I blew it. Now I've got to help the team any way I can."

Acquired in a trade with the Cleveland Browns on Sept. 3, Fowler made a brief appearance during the Vikings' 30-10 loss in Atlanta.

Coach Mike Tice said earlier in the week that Fowler needed to work on his shotgun snaps and prove he could handle the two-minute drill.

"I feel like I got better," Fowler said. "I did some positive things."

Asked if he would start, Fowler said: "Every week, I get a chance to start. So we'll see what happens. Who knows?"

If practice is any indication, the Vikings have made two lineup changes coming out of the bye. Adam Goldberg has supplanted rookie Marcus Johnson at right guard. But, unlike Johnson, Withrow is not expected to play much Sunday.

Payback: Rookie defensive end Erasmus James doesn't have an NFL sack. But he couldn't think of a better player to get his first against than Bears rookie Kyle Orton.

During a dominant performance against Purdue last October, James suffered an ankle injury when Boilermakers tight end Charles Davis cut block him. Orton showed no remorse for James' injury.

"He was saying something along the lines of he was cool with me getting hurt," said James, who was at Wisconsin. "That it was OK, knowing it wasn't OK. It bothers me a lot."

During the past few days, James has spent extra time after practice with coaches. He also watches more film.

He is not expected to start. But James will get significant playing time, and he'll get his chances to get to Orton.

Injury update: Receiver Nate Burleson and cornerback Brian Williams continue to progress. But both remained listed as out for Sunday's game. Meanwhile, the chances of defensive end Spencer Johnson playing lessened. He is listed as doubtful and did not practice Thursday because of a sprained right medial collateral ligament. Running back Moe Williams also was limited in practice and is listed as questionable. He is expected to play Sunday.

Linebacker E.J. Henderson and safety Darren Sharper were removed from the injury report.

Tice said quarterback Daunte Culpepper appears to have benefited from the bye week.

"The quarterback's legs look like they are fresh and he's gotten over, for the most part, that nagging knee that has been bugging him over the course of the first three or four games," Tice said.

Different D: Bears Pro Bowl linebacker Brian Urlacher is relieved that receiver Randy Moss is no longer with the Vikings.

"Thank goodness he's gone," he said. "We can pretty much change our whole game plan because he's not in there anymore. We used to just play Cover 2 pretty much the whole game, and they would gash us in their running game, but I think we'll be able to change it up a little bit this year."

Urlacher said the Bears could put eight players in the tackle box with Moss gone.

"It's a little bit different trying to run the ball when you've got eight guys in the box," he said.

Buttoning up: One change from the owner's leadership retreat this week was immediately implemented. The Vikings' coordinators had been accessible to reporters after practices. But reporters now must get permission from Tice to speak to the coordinators, just as they must with other assistant coaches. It was not clear why the change was made.

Briefly: Koren Robinson will remain the kick returner and will play in more packages as a receiver.

• Depending on whom the Vikings make inactive, Keenan Howry is expected to be active to handle punt returns. If he does not, Fred Smoot, Mewelde Moore and Robinson are options.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Withrow says Fowler has won the center job

Good thing fowler is starting..

This here makes me mad.

"Thank goodness he's gone," he said. "We can pretty much change our whole game plan because he's not in there anymore. We used to just play Cover 2 pretty much the whole game, and they would gash us in their running game, but I think we'll be able to change it up a little bit this year."

Urlacher said the Bears could put eight players in the tackle box with Moss gone.

"It's a little bit different trying to run the ball when you've got eight guys in the box," he said.

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Briefly: Koren Robinson will remain the kick returner and will play in more packages as a receiver.

I like that right there.. I was very happy with the pick up

As for the line im glad it's getting attention.. Johnson out for now.. Goldberg in.. Withrow out.. Fowler in.. Now on to winning please!

digital420 is offline Team Alumni

it's about time Fowler got a chacne. i would like to see all the centers work with Birk though.. noone knows D.C. better, and he IS a pro-bowl center.

goldberg moving over is a great thing as well.. he's hungry and has the size to help.

can't wait to see the bears d get racked by TROY!!!

they think only moss could blow them by? wait till nate and troy are taking their secondary to the endzone!!!

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

sunny is offline Pro-Bowler

"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:

This here makes me mad.

Yeah I did'nt like that either. The best way to shut Urlacher up would be to send Troy deeeeeeeeep on the first plan and torch them for a TD and make them change thier gameplan right away.

Please Tice come out thowing and loooong.(if we have any time to that is)
    I.B.O.T. #213

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

Whatever makes the line better I'm all for it!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"digital420" wrote:
    it's about time Fowler got a chacne. i would like to see all the centers work with Birk though.. noone knows D.C. better, and he IS a pro-bowl center.

goldberg moving over is a great thing as well.. he's hungry and has the size to help.

can't wait to see the bears d get racked by TROY!!!

they think only moss could blow them by? wait till nate and troy are taking their secondary to the endzone!!!

DiGiTaL
    Nate won't be taking anyone anywhere. He won't be playing.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

mnvikes61 is offline Team Alumni

"sunny" wrote:

This here makes me mad.

Yeah I did'nt like that either. The best way to shut Urlacher up would be to send Troy deeeeeeeeep on the first plan and torch them for a TD and make them change thier gameplan right away.

Please Tice come out thowing and loooong.(if we have any time to that is)
    that'd be so awesome! we should try and do waht the Cowboys did against the eagles and just open up huge and knock them out of their game plan.
    i personally really don't like Urlacher, everybody is so high on the guy down here in New Mexico it makes me sick!

Thanks Josdin

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

This here makes me mad.

If they put eight in the box, we need to send Troy and any other WR that feels the need for speed over the top. Their CB are suspect. I just saw a segment on Playbook about this. The Bears play a cover 2 the majority of the time, Lovie-Ball. They apparently don't have the talent back there to play it correctly, so we need to attack it. We mainly need to play smart ball and take advantage of it when we have the opp.

Playbook said it is 7 in the Box, not 8???????

BTW, back on topic, I am glad Fowler is getting the chance, Withrow is a good replacement for the line, I think that is his best role right now. Besides, isn't he the guy that gets the ball all sweaty.

Del Rio Guest

Urlacher is so athletic and so fast to break on the ball that the majority of the time they will have him shadow the QB if possible.

I think one of the biggest keys for the game is to have Daunte freeze Urlacher. The only way I see him doing this is by breaking a nice run early, and by looking off his routes. He needs to avoid locking on one guy and drawing a map for one of the best LB's around.

If he can look off his routes and keep em guessing we have a shot. If he locks on those short routes I guarantee Urlacher takes one to the house.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast