Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Without Tomlin

CT29 is offline Training Camp

Without Tomlin

On January 10, 2006, Tomlin was selected by Vikings' head coach Brad Childress to be his defensive coordinator. Just 33 years old, Tomlin became the youngest defensive coordinator in the NFL. Two of the players on the Vikings were actually older than Tomlin, and Tomlin was a teammate of Vikings' safety Darren Sharper at William and Mary.
    At Minnesota, Tomlin installed the Cover 2 system, but blitzed much more than is typical of the system in order to pressure the quarterback.[1][2]
    The Vikings finished 2006 with the NFL's eighth-best overall defense, but had the unusual distinction of finishing as the top-ranked defense against the run,[3] and the worst-ranked defense against the pass.[4]

With out this presence of Run D.. what will we do i mean how will holes be filled...

Mr-holland is offline Team Alumni

Re: Without Tomlin

I think that our D-line will do as great of a job as last year. maybe not better but last year was really great. we'll do better in passing D i think because we know our problems and can work on them.

Rosie O'Donnell is a dude!

vike_mike is offline Pro-Bowler

We are going to be fine with Leslie Frazier.
    He was in Cincinnati and did well here.
    He resurrected the Colts defense.
    This is the year for Erasmus, and Chad G to shine and show us what they are made of.
    But, if we do not take care of this WR situation, you can expect the same result next year of 6-10.
    If you can't score points, you can't win ball games.
    We need three WR and then we can try Troy out for one more season.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

As much as most posters on this page hate to do it B-chill hired Tomlin because of what he would/could bring to the table to install the T-2 defense.
    That included working with the players we had on hand (DL/LB/DB) as well as a long term plan to land a few key free agents, draft some you players.
    IMOA if we would have had a good rushing DE our passing stats would have been a bit better than they were last year.

I believe that our new DC will have the same approach that Tomlin had and continue with the same plan.
    Infact, I believe it will even get better as we will again, get a key free agent or two (i.e. DE/DB) without breaking the bank, draft some new players for depth/immediate impact and develop the players we have on the roster.

All is well on the defensive side of the ball.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

At Minnesota, Tomlin installed the Cover 2 system, but blitzed much more than is typical of the system in order to pressure the quarterback.
    Honestly, I don't think Tomlin blitzed much at all, especially after the NE game.
    Frazier has been known to be blitz happy, especially with the safety blitz, so I expect to see a lot more, but I also I think this this will play out in an interesting fashion.

Frazier has always been known for his good great pass defense but not so good run defense.
    Some critics have said that his love of blitzing put people out of position to stop the run once it breaks through the line.
    I disagree with this.
    I think his run defense in Cincinnati sucked because of the level of talent he had. Now that he is inheriting the #1 run defense, I think the changes he brings into the secondary will improve our pass defense while keeping the run defense near the top.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

nephilimstorm is offline Star Spokesman

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    At Minnesota, Tomlin installed the Cover 2 system, but blitzed much more than is typical of the system in order to pressure the quarterback.
    Honestly, I don't think Tomlin blitzed much at all, especially after the NE game.
    Frazier has been known to be blitz happy, especially with the safety blitz, so I expect to see a lot more, but I also I think this this will play out in an interesting fashion.

Frazier has always been known for his good great pass defense but not so good run defense.
    Some critics have said that his love of blitzing put people out of position to stop the run once it breaks through the line.
    I disagree with this.
    I think his run defense in Cincinnati sucked because of the level of talent he had. Now that he is inheriting the #1 run defense, I think the changes he brings into the secondary will improve our pass defense while keeping the run defense near the top.
    I noticed he didnt blitz that much...barely if any...Tomlin rather was thinking coverage and turnovers like the old Tampa Bay days

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"NodakPaul" wrote:

I disagree with this.
    I like blitz happy coaches a lot better than I do guys that aren't. With the way our front 4 got pressure last year, we need SOMETHING to get pressure on the quarterback. Besides, I love Tomlin and all, but if you don't have one of the best run defenes with Pat and Kevin Williams as your defensive tackles, then something is wrong with you.

Suick is offline Pro-Bowler

If you're not gonna blitz, you better have some corners who can shut down WR's Smoot is human toast, and Winfield, while an awesome tackler and run stopper, is weak against the pass. Didn't Winny lead the team in tackles again last season? I see that as a negative when your corner is making all the tackles.
    I've been a Viking fan since I was just out of diapers, hopefully we get Super Bowl win before I go back in 'em.

I think the defense is going to do well. It's going to hurt that Tomlin isn't there but I like the new ideas that Leslie Frazier has for them. Intersted in seeing what kind of blitz packages he comes up with. And with him implementing a little bit of the 46 defense it should be very interesting. I hope he can fix the pass defense which needs help. Getting a quality pass rusher should help that.
    Go Big Or Go Home!!!

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"sp0njah4Life" wrote:
    I think the defense is going to do well. It's going to hurt that Tomlin isn't there but I like the new ideas that Leslie Frazier has for them. Intersted in seeing what kind of blitz packages he comes up with. And with him implementing a little bit of the 46 defense it should be very interesting. I hope he can fix the pass defense which needs help. Getting a quality pass rusher should help that.
    I am hoping that he meant more along the lines of running more safety blitzes than actually running any type of 46.
    The 46 is largely abandoned because a good WCO can absolutely pick it apart.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast