Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Winny released

digital420 is offline Team Alumni
    in the end of the day, it's still a business trying to put together the best product they can withen a defined budget. winny's salary was huge.. does he deserve it? maybe 5 year ago. does he deserve to be in the NFL.. YES.

I don't know how it was conducted, nor the conversation that went on with him and if it was knee jerked or if it was a discussion that allowed him to do the following things.

1. test his value on the market
    2. reduce the $ and stay a viking
    3. hold his roster spot for him to do 1, then come back to the vikes and say this is what they offer will you match it.

I would like to see him back, he has a lot to offer on the field, in the film study, and grooming our young CB squad. his style of play is hard hitting, and ballz out. does that get him hurt.. kinda. does it have an impact. you bet!

I would hope that he comes back and takes on a reduced roll, splitting time with our young group and finishing his career as a Vike. if i remember he was set to retire soon, maybe after this season? so yeah i'd expect him to take a reduced salary, reduced time, and be a contributing factor to our rebuilding while taking a back seat roll yet still seeing the field.

course.. i'd hate to see him end up on another NFCN team..

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by digital420 View Post
    I don't know how it was conducted, nor the conversation that went on with him and if it was knee jerked or if it was a discussion that allowed him to do the following things.

1. test his value on the market
    2. reduce the $ and stay a viking
    3. hold his roster spot for him to do 1, then come back to the vikes and say this is what they offer will you match it.

DiGiTaL
    Sounded like it was cold and callous.....

Winfield had been working out at the team’s facility just prior to the beginning of free agency when he was summoned upstairs and handed his walking papers in a dismissal that “proved incredibly awkward.”
    Spielman repeatedly said during a press conference Tuesday that they wouldn’t rule out a possible return of Winfield to the team, but, per Wiederer, Winfield was led to believe otherwise.
    .....contrary to other published reports, the Vikings never had formally proposed a possible restructuring of Winfield’s contract as a means of keeping him.

Antoine Winfield surprised by release by Vikings | ProFootballTalk

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Winny released

I would actually be ok with swapping GB with Jennings for winny. I really don't think he causes defenses to game plan for him, especially at his age..

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    (null)
    Well hell, at least it wasn't Christmas Eve.

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    If that is how it actually went down, I have to agree with Winfield. He deserved better than that. He has given his all for this team for a long time now. There is no good way to fire someone, but we could have handled it better. Hope they do some kind of ceremony for him someday.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

derek is offline Waterboy
    well dang...

i've been working crazy hours and hadnt been online in weeks so i havent been following what's been happening with the Vikes. even so, i still heard about the Percy trade (i ABSOLUTELY LOVED me some Percy on the field...how could you NOT???? but i'm still trying to figure out what went down off the field with him that resulted in his no longer being a Vike...details are ambiguous but obviously SOMETHING went down)...so, like i said....even not being online for weeks i still managed to hear about Percy ...but i get online today and find this....Antoine Winfield released???

....on a personal note, i'm REALLY bummed because Toine was my favorite Defensive player on the Vikes and probably my favorite Defensive player in the league period. in spite of size & age, when dude is on the field you can still CONSISTENTLY RELY on him making the right decisions. smart as a whip, leadership skills, and comes off as having a great attitude and approach....those things are harder to come by than many folks realize.

some folks are saying that because of his salary and his age, that it was the right 'business decision'...well, i dont know if thats true or not, but it isnt MY money, so, i aint gonna lie...i'm bummed with the news. it just doesnt feel right in my gut. i think that this is someone that, for tangible and intangible reasons, you just WANT on your team in some way at some level for as long as he is consistently contributing, which he still is. Earlier i had heard that they were going to ask him to reduce his role (and i assume, reduce his salary too) which had me hopeful that he'd still be a Viking this year... unfortunately, i guess that plan didnt work out.

So good luck to you mr Winfield, thanks for playin your ass off for us since day 1 of your arrival, and, although i for one wish you coulda stayed in Purple for MANY years to come, i'll be a fan of yours and will follow your career wherever you end up man! Cheers to you bro!

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Leslie Frazier: Vikings want Antoine Winfield back

Leslie Frazier: Vikings want Antoine Winfield back - NFL.com

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

digital420 is offline Team Alumni
    so it does seem they offered a lowered contract..

it's gonna be a media he said she said.. i really would like to know that he's back.. it's a loss, and we have had enouf of those, even with some good additions!

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    The Vikings cut Winfield on Tuesday after the cornerback declined a pay cut.
    But but but but I thought that it was "it was cold and callous."
    And he wasn't "given the opputunity to reduce his contract".
    And "Spielman was just saying that [Winfield could come back] to try and save face."
    And Spielman was an "idiot that doesn't know his ass from his mouth" for cutting Winfield.
    And this is a "train wreck of a offseason."

And every other overreaction in this thread.

Sorry, I just don't think that Winfield commanded a $7.25 million base salary this year. I don't blame the Vikings for wanting him to take a pay cut. I also don't blame Winfield for wanting to see what the market looks like elsewhere.

So many people are looking for anything to support their belief that Spielman was actually the 4th stooge that they forget that the NFL is a business, and business decisions are not always easy ones. Both Spielman and Winfield has to make difficult decisions, and in the end I think they both made decisions that were the best for the respective parties.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    But but but but I thought that it was "it was cold and callous."
    And he wasn't "given the opputunity to reduce his contract".
    And "Spielman was just saying that [Winfield could come back] to try and save face."
    And Spielman was an "idiot that doesn't know his ass from his mouth" for cutting Winfield.
    And this is a "train wreck of a offseason."

And every other overreaction in this thread.

Sorry, I just don't think that Winfield commanded a $7.25 million base salary this year. I don't blame the Vikings for wanting him to take a pay cut. I also don't blame Winfield for wanting to see what the market looks like elsewhere.

So many people are looking for anything to support their belief that Spielman was actually the 4th stooge that they forget that the NFL is a business, and business decisions are not always easy ones. Both Spielman and Winfield has to make difficult decisions, and in the end I think they both made decisions that were the best for the respective parties.
    I try to ignore all these media speculations about how something was done. Their job is to get people to read their shit, so taking a few liberal interpretations here and there is all part of the game. Fans love to get riled up, and these guys feed right into it.

I understand why he was cut. I also understand why Frazier wants him back. I hope they can work out a short term deal to get him back. Our secondary is better with him in it....at the right price of course

Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast