Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 12345 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Winny released

MulletMullitia is offline PP.O Ambassador
    Blog Entries
    I understand that you can't create a cap nightmare like the Jets. Or go out and try to assemble a "dream team" like Philly. But you can't take away veterans from a playoff football team and expect to replace them all in the draft.

Sorry Rick! Keep up the good work.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    If we release KW we're f'd.

He's not been as dominant as he once was, but he's still one of the better DTs in the league. We can't cut eveyone who's old, we need SOME leadership. All that's left on D is Greenway and Allen if KW goes.
    Oh trust me, I know. I am just stating what the Vikings seem to be doing. By getting rid of certain players, always getting it wrong on the QB position, AD must feel like Barry Sanders 2.0

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    My take on this, is that they discussed with Winny moving to Safety.

He's said, he won't do it. If he won't take a paycut to play nickel corner, this makes sense. Clears up some room to sign a starter at corner or safety (think Dunta Robinson perhaps?) THere are some decent corners available.

My dream FA signing was Dashon Goldson. This gives us room for something like that. With him and Smith back, Cook, Jefferson, Robinson and a FA/earlyish draft pick), our secondary would look much improved.
    I'm all for Goldson, or Robinson, but its Cook, Jefferson, and the rest of the gang that scare the hell out of me.

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries
    I don't know about you guys, but I fully trust Spielman. In his first year of having actual control of the team at the GM position, he did a fantastic job. Until he gives me a reason to not believe in him, I won't doubt him. He had to trade Harvin. That wasn't his fault that we had to get rid of him but he did a great job of getting a good haul in for him.
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    So lets see where we are so far.....

We might lose
    Phil - Bears are very iinterested in him or Jake Long
    2/3 of our LB corps are FAs and may not be back
    Cut Whinny so Cook and Mr. First down (AJ Jefferson) is starting
    Felton is a FA
    and our WR corps is in shambles.
    Ponder is still the QB.

This team is in trouble. We need to generate 6 starters from this draft.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by 12purplepride28 View Post
    I don't know about you guys, but I fully trust Spielman. In his first year of having actual control of the team at the GM position, he did a fantastic job. Until he gives me a reason to not believe in him, I won't doubt him. He had to trade Harvin. That wasn't his fault that we had to get rid of him but he did a great job of getting a good haul in for him.
    Then you blindly trust too often.
    Last season he had a good draft (read as a B in school). His FA signings were abysmal.
    The guy we gave 5 years 25 million too didn't break 20 catches. I'm not sure he had more than 100 yards. Simply put we missed on every FA except Felton. Every single one. Aquiring a AJ for a 6th rounder was a decent move as I admt there is some talent there but not starting caliber.

This offseason trading Harvin was not his fault and he did net a good hual for him...
    However, he is the reason we are in this position. He is the reason that 2 out of 3 Lbs are unsigned. He is the reason our RT is unsigned. He is the reason that we now will have to over pay for Felton, who now has negotiting rights because he became an all pro and other teams will drive up his value.

We are going to be overpaying for Load/ Felton/ What ever WR we sign. This is a problem! We can't keep overpaying for our own FAs. That's where you are suppose to save money. You get first crack at signing them long term to save money long before FAs. You don't let them get to FA.

So far Spielman gets a C+ in my book. He has made some nice moves via trades and the draft but...has Flunked FAs and resigning.

MulletMullitia is offline PP.O Ambassador
    Blog Entries
    Percy and Load were 2 of his bigger name draft picks. Who cares how well he drafts if he doesn't re-sign his good picks?

Sorry Rick! Keep up the good work.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    Then you blindly trust too often.
    Last season he had a good draft (read as a B in school). His FA signings were abysmal.
    The guy we gave 5 years 25 million too didn't break 20 catches. I'm not sure he had more than 100 yards. Simply put we missed on every FA except Felton. Every single one. Aquiring a AJ for a 6th rounder was a decent move as I admt there is some talent there but not starting caliber.

This offseason trading Harvin was not his fault and he did net a good hual for him...
    However, he is the reason we are in this position. He is the reason that 2 out of 3 Lbs are unsigned. He is the reason our RT is unsigned. He is the reason that we now will have to over pay for Felton, who now has negotiting rights because he became an all pro and other teams will drive up his value.

We are going to be overpaying for Load/ Felton/ What ever WR we sign. This is a problem! We can't keep overpaying for our own FAs. That's where you are suppose to save money. You get first crack at signing them long term to save money long before FAs. You don't let them get to FA.

So far Spielman gets a C+ in my book. He has made some nice moves via trades and the draft but...has Flunked FAs and resigning.
    I think you should let the offseason play out before you give the guy a grade. FA contract signings haven't even officially started yet.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Now, just shooting one out there,

It's possible Winny was cut the same way AJ hawk got cut last year, and re-signs at a lower rate? There are times that this makes better financial sense than restructuring. The issue isn't this year his cap hit, it's the next few years. In a couple years, we only have a few vets whos contracts come up. Problem is, some vets back-loaded contracts will make it difficult to re-sign players.

Brewtal is offline Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by VikesfaninWis View Post
    I sincerely hope the front office has some major plans up their sleeves, because this is looking like a train wreck of a offseason. I wouldn't be surprised of Kevin Williams is next with his age, production declining, and salary.

I was all for trading Harvin and getting those picks, but so far the Vikings have been extremely quiet on all fronts, and its hard to gauge if they are planning anything. All I will say is that if AJ Jefferson and Chris Cook are our starting CB's, the Vikings are in some serious trouble. For guys like Aaron Rodgers, that will be like playing a high school defense.

After winning 10 games and having your stud RB win the MVP, they better not try to equal that win total by losing players that are proven, and trying to get the same production from rookies in the draft. I will hold of judgment until I see what happens in free agency and trades, but if I had to base it off of right now, the Vikings are going to F'N suck next year.
    The sky is falling, the sky is falling. lol

Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 12345 13 ... LastLast