Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Winny released

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    Rapoport learned there were some emotions involved for Winfield after he was cut by the Vikings. Winfield wanted to retire as a Viking and make Minnesota his permanent home, but he and his family now will live in Houston. He even contemplated retiring when he was released. A chance at winning a possible Super Bowl title with the Seahawks ended up playing a factor in Winfield joining the team

Sounds a little immature to me for a veteran of his age. He had to know his salary took a check his body couldn't cash any more and if he wanted to retire as a Viking and live in the state then he should have been talking to spielman and Bryzzy about taking a reduced salary and a reduced role instead of trying to drive a hard bargain and force the team to make a move. If that is all the character he has I am glad he is gone.
    LOL! He didn't force them to make a move. Spielman called Winfield to his office after Winfield worked out & cut him.

Many in the organization were as surprised as Winfield was when he cut him that suddenly.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    LOL! He didn't force them to make a move. Spielman called Winfield to his office after Winfield worked out & cut him.

Many in the organization were as surprised as Winfield was when he cut him that suddenly.
    So you are saying they locked him out of the facility all off season up to that point and refused to listen to his proposal to reduce his salary and role on the team ? You are saying he reached out to the team to try and stay on the team in a reduced role for reduced pay and they refused to hear him out? That is bad.

smegmavike is online now Coordinator
    Winfield was a cap casualty, plain and simple. Happens every year on most teams.
    Vikings got younger and used the money in an attempt to improve the team over all.
    Winfield gets to chase a championship ring. I think he got the better end of the deal, but it will probably end up a win win going forward.
    I'm not sold on Spielman's moves to improve the team, but do feel it is premature to judge him before the draft and off season have concluded.
    Winfield was great for the Vikings but his salary was too high.
    Keep an eye on Williams and Allen next off season.

So you are saying they locked him out of the facility all off season up to that point and refused to listen to his proposal to reduce his salary and role on the team ? You are saying he reached out to the team to try and stay on the team in a reduced role for reduced pay and they refused to hear him out? That is bad.
    Why would he propose taking a reduced salary and role on the team when there was no indication that he was going to get cut? Again, Winfield was just as surprised as most of the organization was when he got cut.

I guess you must be questioning JA, AD's & K-Will's character too because they didn't come forward & take a pay cut or suggest restructuring their contracts to help out with the salary cap problem.

You have a huge problem with players wanting to be paid what they are worth because they signed a contract for a lesser amount, but also have a huge problem when a player is due to get paid what his contract states & he doesn't take a lesser amount.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Why would he propose taking a reduced salary and role on the team when there was no indication that he was going to get cut? Again, Winfield was just as surprised as most of the organization was when he got cut.
    So his ass didn't get cut.

I guess you must be questioning JA, AD's & K-Will's character too because they didn't come forward & take a pay cut or suggest restructuring their contracts to help out with the salary cap problem.
    First off you are not even in the ballpark on what I was questioning so until you ran read and comprehend what I post you might just want to skip the conversation until you get things straight. First off, I have no opinion on Williams. If he gets cut and then moves his residence to another state sulking all the way then I will feel the same about him. As far as JA is concerned, he is still an elite player playing at a high level. When he hits 36 and still wants to make a crapload of money even though he isn't producing any more than I will be fine if they cut his ass to if he doesn't come to the table to reno his contract.

But, at this point neither is in that position yet so I have no reason to have a stance. Once the time is tight then I will.

I guess now you will be trying to dream up some other totally irrelevant scenario that you will imagine me having some opinion on. I can't wait to hear it.

You have a huge problem with players wanting to be paid what they are worth because they signed a contract for a lesser amount

Conjecture. You have no clue what you are talking about but feel you know what everyone thinks about everything.

but also have a huge problem when a player is due to get paid what his contract states & he doesn't take a lesser amount.
    Or, I accept the reality of the situation and know there is a finite amount of dollars that can be spent in any given season and i understand that the team has to balance the desire to have veterans on the team with the reality that there isn't room to keep all of them so they need to make tough decisions regarding personnel from time to time,which is much harder to do from their position than from am armchair that doesn't recognize budgets.

So his ass didn't get cut.

First off you are not even in the ballpark on what I was questioning so until you ran read and comprehend what I post you might just want to skip the conversation until you get things straight. First off, I have no opinion on Williams. If he gets cut and then moves his residence to another state sulking all the way then I will feel the same about him. As far as JA is concerned, he is still an elite player playing at a high level. When he hits 36 and still wants to make a crapload of money even though he isn't producing any more than I will be fine if they cut his ass to if he doesn't come to the table to reno his contract.

But, at this point neither is in that position yet so I have no reason to have a stance. Once the time is tight then I will.

I guess now you will be trying to dream up some other totally irrelevant scenario that you will imagine me having some opinion on. I can't wait to hear it.

Conjecture. You have no clue what you are talking about but feel you know what everyone thinks about everything.

Or, I accept the reality of the situation and know there is a finite amount of dollars that can be spent in any given season and i understand that the team has to balance the desire to have veterans on the team with the reality that there isn't room to keep all of them so they need to make tough decisions regarding personnel from time to time,which is much harder to do from their position than from am armchair that doesn't recognize budgets.
    Laughable!

I understood you perfectly. Here's what you said;

So you are saying they locked him out of the facility all off season up to that point [That would be prior to the point at which they let him go] and refused to listen to his proposal to reduce his salary and role on the team ? You are saying he reached out to the team to try and stay on the team in a reduced role for reduced pay and they refused to hear him out? That is bad
    What you expected Winfield to do prior to getting cut, a move no one expected to happen, was for him to convince himself he wasn't worth his contract, march up to Spielman's office & request they give him a paycut and a reduced role as a proactive measure just in case they were thinking of cutting him.

Obviously, if you feel that way about 1 player, you should feel that way about others. Yet K-Will, who's play has gone downhill is due $7.5 million this year & you don't say jack shit about that.

Don't you think he's taking a check his body couldn't & he should be talking to Spielman and Bryzzy about taking a reduced salary and a reduced role?

Apparently not.
    Last edited by singersp; 04-15-2013 at 07:20 AM.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    I liked Winfield and would like to have seen him play another year. He was a leader and a very aggressive player. Our team was better with him on the roster, even though his coverage skills kept deteriorating, he was put in a position to play to his strengths.....and believe it or not, it was largely because they put Cook and Jefferson in isolation on the better receivers. Yea, that one will set well with many

I have no idea how his passing came to be, so I won't sit back and throw out all these observations that are complete speculation. He's gone, but such is the life of the NFL, time to move on. Hopefully with younger guys that can improve our overall play. Last year, the safety position was our biggest weakness, this year, right now, as it stands today, it's corner and MLB. I have no doubt that a number of corners will be signed (through draft and FA) and hopefully put us in a stronger position than we were last year.

I've alway had a ton of respect for winny as a player, as well as the things he did for the community. Hate to see him leave, especially to the seagulls.

I'm a little surprised by his decision though. Supposedly the vikings offered more guaranteed dough and he's been with them for a while. I think he may have been "sticking" it to Spielman for the unexpected release. He was definitley a great presence to on the field, but he was definitley starting to slow down.

Either way I wish him the best with the rest of his NFL career.

PackSux! is online now Hall of Famer
    I am not so hurt by his decision. I figured he would as he wants a ring, nothing more nothing less.

I will miss him when it comes to run defense but not pass coverage.

I am still bitter about him getting burned in week 16 2009 by Devon Aromashoebox, which cost us home field advantage throughout the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by idahovikefan7 View Post
    I've alway had a ton of respect for winny as a player, as well as the things he did for the community. Hate to see him leave, especially to the seagulls.

I'm a little surprised by his decision though. Supposedly the vikings offered more guaranteed dough and he's been with them for a while. I think he may have been "sticking" it to Spielman for the unexpected release. He was definitley a great presence to on the field, but he was definitley starting to slow down.

Either way I wish him the best with the rest of his NFL career.
    The money is the essential the same. If Winfield makes the Seahawk's roster, he's guaranteed the $3 million.

Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast