Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Winny released

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    Yeah, the Seahawks have a penchant for Vikings players.

What pains me more than this, we could have easily drafted Russell Wilson. He could be our starter.

But we have Christian Ponder.

Sigh...
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by VikesfaninWis View Post
    Hey, that is passion man. If you are ok with this team NEVER winning a SB, and always saying "There is always next year" then that is on you brother. I have been a diehard fan of this team for the better part of 25 years, my entire rec room is devoted to the Vikings and a shit load of COA autographed memorabilia.

I am just frustrated to no end with this team always failing. I don't watch sports just to have something to do on the weekends, I am passionate about my teams and put a lot of money into them. I have backed them when they sucked, backed them when they have played good, and constantly have to come up with shit to defend them with all my Packer buddies. How much more can I say about a team that has NEVER won the SB? I am not the type of guy to back down from an argument, but I have nothing when it comes to accomplishments from this team. It's getting extremely old if you haven't already figured that out.

So no, that is not the pot calling the kettle black, its a frustrated fan of a team that for whatever reason can't figure out how to win the big one. I never said I hated this team and that I was not going to watch them, so learn how to read before you call me out.
    You're right, I was WAY off...
    I seriously do not know how much longer I can continue to support a team that just doesn't get it.
    lol, this is a fan site, we are all passionate about the Vikings. Many of us have been fans for considerably longer than 25 years, spent a lot of money on them (try being an out of state season ticket holder), and watch for more than something to do on the weekends.

Only called you out because you were ripping on bandwagon fans in another thread, and then more or less threatened to become one yourself...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    Yeah, some people have a hard time grasping that one.
    And some people think replacing star players is a simple as drafting unproven college players in the draft and expecting them to be immediate superstars.

News flash. If it were that simple, we'd already have had a viable replacement in place out of the last 11 DB's we drafted in the past 7 years.

Find your starter, then let the veteran go. Don't let them go & then hope & pray you can find a replacement in the draft to fill a void you created who won't be a huge down grade to the position.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Quote Originally Posted by Flair Hay View Post
    You have to think we'll be bringing in a rookie this year too. Maybe even two.
    Sure they'll bring in a rookie or two, but how many of the last 11 that they drafted are still on the team and playing at a high level?

Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    They DID discuss a lower salary with Winfield prior to cutting him.
    Leslie Frazier: Vikings want Antoine Winfield back - NFL.com.
    So we shouldn't believe what Winfield believed, who happened to be present at the time, but should believe what the media is saying instead?

Well then....

“After nine years in the organization, the cornerback believed he deserved better, that he was owed more. On top of that, the source said, contrary to other published reports, the Vikings never had formally proposed a possible restructuring of Winfield’s contract as a means of keeping him.”
    Antoine Winfield surprised by release by Vikings | ProFootballTalk

Instead of trying to reduce a $7.25 million base salary that, given the manner in which free agency unfolded clearly was too high for a cornerback on the wrong side of 35, the Vikings dumped him. Then, coach Leslie Frazier made it clear that he still wants Winfield on the team.
    Mixed signals may have driven Winfield from Minnesota | ProFootballTalk
    Last edited by singersp; 04-14-2013 at 09:36 AM.

Nobody will know the true story behind his release. Was he asked to reduce his salary in February? Maybe days before the start of free agency? The only way anyone will know is if Winfield himself comes out and says it. The fact is, whatever the case may be, the Vikings dropped the ball big time on this one. They had since January to start talking with his reps, and they said they cut him right before the start of free agency so that he could catch on with another team out of fairness to him. Yet they begged him to come back as soon as other teams started showing interest in him.?
    I think they started trying to get him back after Frazier & the rest of the organization got wind of it.

Antoine Winfield chose Seahawks over Vikings' money

Antoine Winfield chose Seahawks over Vikings' money - NFL.com

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    And some people think replacing star players is a simple as drafting unproven college players in the draft and expecting them to be immediate superstars.
    Like the guy we cut was a superstar, A good tackler but not good at coverage. That won't be hard to replace.

News flash. If it were that simple, we'd already have had a viable replacement in place out of the last 11 DB's we drafted in the past 7 years.
    News flash- Shit happens.

Find your starter, then let the veteran go. Don't let them go & then hope & pray you can find a replacement in the draft to fill a void you created who won't be a huge down grade to the position.
    You can't get the new guy if the old guy is chewing up 7 Million dollars of cap room. First you need to cut the fat, then you find a replacement. Now it is up the the new and improved front office to make it happen and the coaches to develop that talent.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Antoine Winfield chose Seahawks over Vikings' money

Antoine Winfield chose Seahawks over Vikings' money - NFL.com

Rapoport learned there were some emotions involved for Winfield after he was cut by the Vikings. Winfield wanted to retire as a Viking and make Minnesota his permanent home, but he and his family now will live in Houston. He even contemplated retiring when he was released. A chance at winning a possible Super Bowl title with the Seahawks ended up playing a factor in Winfield joining the team

Sounds a little immature to me for a veteran of his age. He had to know his salary took a check his body couldn't cash any more and if he wanted to retire as a Viking and live in the state then he should have been talking to spielman and Bryzzy about taking a reduced salary and a reduced role instead of trying to drive a hard bargain and force the team to make a move. If that is all the character he has I am glad he is gone.

Like the guy we cut was a superstar, A good tackler but not good at coverage. That won't be hard to replace.
    Really? How long have we been looking for a decent CB again? How many have we drafted in the past 7 years?

You can't get the new guy if the old guy is chewing up 7 Million dollars of cap room. First you need to cut the fat, then you find a replacement. Now it is up the the new and improved front office to make it happen and the coaches to develop that talent.
    You can't? Too funny! Again, how many have we drafted or signed on since Winfield joined?

We have 7 on the roster right now. How many of those would you say are better than Winfield was?

They've tried finding them for several years, but pretty much failed at finding reliable legit starters in the draft.

Spielman's FA answer to finding a legit replacement was Jefferson, who much like Carlson his FA answer to replacing a void in our TE have pretty much been busts.
    Last edited by singersp; 04-14-2013 at 12:12 PM.

Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast