Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Winny released

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    So the issue was drafting correct? It wasn't the contract because had they drafted well in the mid rounds, when contracts came due, we would have been able to restock talent with young players.
    Chicken or the egg?

It isnt either/or it is the combination of both.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Blog Entries

Winny released

My final thoughts- out with the old, in with the new. This is an exciting time to be a Vikings fan.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    My final thoughts- out with the old, in with the new. This is an exciting time to be a Vikings fan.
    AJ Jefferson & Cook aren't new.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni
    Signing with the Seabags is a no-brainer for Winfield. Similarly, choosing not to pay $7.5MM was a no-brainer for the Vikes. In the end, this is a good move for the Seabags, and, Winfield. He will be going to a team with tremendous starting CBs, a top 5 Safety and will contribute as a stellar veteran and depth as a nickel/dime CB. The decision was made to move on for a myriad of reasons...not all of which are obvious.

There is a completely valid argument for how this went down being poorly handled. That Spielman should have gone to the Banks of Jared Allen and Kevin Williams, renegotiated more Cap friendly deals, then approached Winfield similarly. Or, at a minimum, discuss a lower salary with Winfield prior to cutting him.

I've dreaded this day, and, I'm not looking forward to the day Kevin Williams is no longer a Viking.

Winny has been one of my favorite Vikes the last decade. If you remember, initially, the Vikes courted him, wouldn't let him leave, signed him... Winfield delivered passion, performance, leadership, and Community contribution. Winfield has been a true professional, and a great Viking.

Good luck Mr Winfield...you will be missed.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

Flair Hay is offline Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    AJ Jefferson & Cook aren't new.
    You have to think we'll be bringing in a rookie this year too. Maybe even two.

derek is offline Waterboy
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxVike View Post

There is a completely valid argument for how this went down being poorly handled. That Spielman should have gone to the Banks of Jared Allen and Kevin Williams, renegotiated more Cap friendly deals, then approached Winfield similarly. Or, at a minimum, discuss a lower salary with Winfield prior to cutting him.

I've dreaded this day, and, I'm not looking forward to the day Kevin Williams is no longer a Viking.

Winny has been one of my favorite Vikes the last decade. If you remember, initially, the Vikes courted him, wouldn't let him leave, signed him... Winfield delivered passion, performance, leadership, and Community contribution. Winfield has been a true professional, and a great Viking.

Good luck Mr Winfield...you will be missed.
    well damn.

so...this off season my team has let my two FAVORITE PLAYERS* go ..both to the Seahawks.

damn.

like i said on page 9 of this thread...i'm bummed. really bummed.

I loved me some Percy & Winfield.

I'm a short in stature dude, and i guess i find myself tending to route for the smaller guys in the league.

Percy is also from my area here in Virginia, so that added to my routing for this guy, i was thrilled when my Vikes snagged him up. He's is a little firecracker waterbug type of player...quick & shifty as all get-out but ALSO fierce and fearless as a friggin' honeybadger and strong & tough as a friggin tank....you couldnt help but being drawn to his play....i always had to have one eye on him anytime he was on the field, wonderin 'Whatrs Percy gonna do?' So yeah...he became my favorite offensive player to watch, or at least in my top 3, in the league. He has a bright future ahead of him and i will be watching him along the way to see how his career evolves.

i still dont know or understand the details of Percy's departure, but it sounds like it was more off-field/personality conflict type of stuff and less about salary stuff. So yes, while i personally do wish he was still a Viking, since i dont know the specifics of the reasons for his being traded, i cant really say weather his trade was something that needed to happen or not....and i'll leave it at that for now until the whole story comes out, if it ever does.

...as for Mr Winfield...

this one kills me.
    this one (in my admittedly 'non-informed on NFL business junk' opinion) could have been prevented if the appropriate approach had been given.

i just think Winfield was the IDEAL vet in EVERY way...on the field/off the field...for tangible reasons and intangible reasons...to me, he's someone you do everything you can to keep on your team. He's someone that has EARNED a hight level of respect from his consistent and reliable high-quality of play, and his caliber of leadership and standard setting approach. THAT combination of skill/intelligence/integrity/leadership is, in my opinion, extremely rare...and extremely valuable. (heh heh, kinda sounds like I'm trying to anoint him sainthood or something doesn't it? I'm not, but, the fact of the matter is, he is just plain awesome any way you look at it. So yes... i'm bummed, sad and pissed because, In my opinion, he should still be (and relatively easily could have still have been) a Viking.

the way this seemed to have gone down, quite simply, 'doesn't feel right in my gut' period.
    no i dont know ALL of the inside details and conversations that went down...but, from what bits of info that i can gather, my gut is telling me that something just wasn't handled right. And unfortunately for me, Mr Winfield, my favorite Defensive player in the league, is no longer on my Vikings.

Antione...good luck sir. Thanks for the many great consistent years you've given to us Vike fans!! i wish so badly that you could have retired here. That said, yeah, I will STILL be routing for you in Seattle because you're still my favorite defensive player in the league man. Cheers to you bro!

*Obviously AP is pretty much EVERYONES #1 grade-A favorite most respected player in the league now, so I'm exempting him from this statement. OUTSIDE of APs awesomeness though, Antione & Percy were my two faves in the league. somewhat ironically Russell Wilson is someone i've also become a huge fan of (he also has ties to my area, grew up not ten minutes away from my house)...so, while i will always be a Viking fan...been so since my kid days routing for Tarkenton (also a 'short' scrambly guy from right here in my VA town!), there will now be a part of me also routing for Seattle too. yeah i said it

ok, i need a drink...

later folks.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Flair Hay View Post
    You have to think we'll be bringing in a rookie this year too. Maybe even two.
    Yeah, some people have a hard time grasping that one.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    Yeah, some people have a hard time grasping that one.
    I hope not... Rather sign a guy like Chris Gamble than continue to waste picks on CBs. This draft has an abundance of Wrs and I would like to see us target 1 in the first two rounds and 1 in the fourth.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Did we have to cut him if we reworked Allen's contract?

Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast