Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Winny released

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    Welcome to the clusterfuck that is the Vikings FO. Where every 1 good move is negated by 2 WTF moves.
    Well at least they should have enough cap space to sign their draft class, there are 6 teams that are in trouble and the raiders have so much dead money they're probably still paying Al Davis too

Team-by-team cap space, as of April 3

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    This is just part of a fundamental shift in the way the team is going to be doing things going forward. In 2006 they started a phase where they went after select big name free agents and tried to quickly build a contender and it almost worked. One 12 man on the field penalty away from the SB. But to get there they signed too many free agent contracts and did poorly in the mid to late round drafts as well and that put us in a bad spot.

Since Spielman was promoted they have shifted towards building through the draft and not going after the premier free agents. Yes, they will still sign guys at times but it will be the rule and not the exception. That is going to mean we are in for a few years with more young guys on the roster than we want but hopefully if they use their draft picks wisely they will have a more rounded, stable roster without the peaks and valleys.

Last year they did address the WR position and we will never know how much Childs would have contributed last year and this year but he did look promising in camp and if he had not gotten injured then the WR position may have looked much more solid. We saw improvement in the OL and Smith looks like he is going to be a solid Safety and that will help the young secondary.

We are probably not getting to a SB in the next year or 2 and it may take until we get rid of Allen and maybe even Peterson before we get to that point but as long as we are building and developing young players I am going to enjoy it because the past 30 years of recycled QB's and many other positions has really gotten old for me.

Personally I can't wait to see how the draft and preseason unfolds and to see these young guys come in and develop.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    This is just part of a fundamental shift in the way the team is going to be doing things going forward. In 2006 they started a phase where they went after select big name free agents and tried to quickly build a contender and it almost worked. One 12 man on the field penalty away from the SB. But to get there they signed too many free agent contracts and did poorly in the mid to late round drafts as well and that put us in a bad spot.

Since Spielman was promoted they have shifted towards building through the draft and not going after the premier free agents. Yes, they will still sign guys at times but it will be the rule and not the exception. That is going to mean we are in for a few years with more young guys on the roster than we want but hopefully if they use their draft picks wisely they will have a more rounded, stable roster without the peaks and valleys.

Last year they did address the WR position and we will never know how much Childs would have contributed last year and this year but he did look promising in camp and if he had not gotten injured then the WR position may have looked much more solid. We saw improvement in the OL and Smith looks like he is going to be a solid Safety and that will help the young secondary.

We are probably not getting to a SB in the next year or 2 and it may take until we get rid of Allen and maybe even Peterson before we get to that point but as long as we are building and developing young players I am going to enjoy it because the past 30 years of recycled QB's and many other positions has really gotten old for me.

Personally I can't wait to see how the draft and preseason unfolds and to see these young guys come in and develop.

I personally believe they need a balanced combination of players in free agency and also the draft to be competitive with the rest of the league. There are some teams that are so good at drafting guys and turning them into great players almost immediately (New England and GB come to mind) and then there are teams that need to have established players come into the fold to get them to the next level.

These days the Vikings are drafting well, its just that they are always a player here or a player there away from getting to that next level. Last season we drafted Kalil and Smith and they were huge for this team, but unfortunately we had holes in the QB, WR, and DB positions, and that is what cost us at any chance of getting far into the playoffs.

This year they may draft well, but how will the rookies perform when as it sits right now, there will be a rookie MLB, CB, and WR starting for us next season? That is why teams need that balance. And for me, they are pretty much just wasting away the prime years of Peterson trying to figure out what direction they are going in, not drafting, trading for, or signing a true legit franchise QB, and not having a good backup plan for when guys get injured or leave here.

Childs will probably never play again after this last injury. He already had that same injury in one of his knees in college, and now he snaps both of them. So I believe it is safe to assume that he will not play again. Now they need to go out and draft another WR to try and get more weapons for the mediocre Christian Ponder. Like you said, they may very well be 2-3 years away from competing for a SB, but by then AD will be slowing down, Allen will probably be gone, Greenway will start to slow down, and they will be right back in the same boat as they always are, trying to plug holes and drafting the next batch of starters while the current players are wasting away trying to get to the SB. It's a never ending revolving door with this team.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by VikesfaninWis View Post
    Yep, at this point signing Jennings is the only good addition they made to this team despite needing a lot of help. I understand they aren't necessarily in the position to go after several big names, but they could definitely add a play making CB if they asked their higher paid players to restructure. What good is Jennings going to be if Ponder doesn't progress? Megatron can't put up great numbers if he doesn't have a QB to get him the ball.
    They needed a lot of help when they had Harvin. Yes they added Jennings, but he's more of a replacement for Harvin and all those needs are still there plus more after getting rid of our starting MLB, our starting CB & losing 2 other WR's.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

And then those players that we do draft that become premier players also end up becoming premier FA's as well. Then we watch as Spielman tries to replace those premier players with new draft picks, rather than pay big money contracts to those players.

Blog Entries

Winny released

Yeah, it sucks but that is the reality of the situation. Teams lose elite players every year due to the salary cap. It will always be a problem.

The teams that are successful over a long period first and foremost have an elite QB, not an elite RB to build around. They also generally have an elite MLB, a top quality WR and an impact person in the secondary .

You also don't see teams that are continually at the top year over year spending top 5 picks on OL either because that takes cap space away from skill positions. So between the contract we have to AP, the contract we will have to give to Kalil in a few years and having Ponder under Center I don't have any illusions of having a dynasty any time soon. St best if all the cards fall our way we MIGHT be able to go deep into the playoffs and make one SB run but then it will be back to the drawing board.

Blog Entries

Winny released

So I heard he signed with Seattle.

The teams that are successful over a long period first and foremost have an elite QB, not an elite RB to build around. They also generally have an elite MLB, a top quality WR and an impact person in the secondary.
    Yep. I agree

Out of that group we are only lacking...

An elite QB

An elite MLB. Hell, we don't even have a starting MLB

An elite deep threat WR that can go up & get the ball

We have an impact player at Safety, but lack an impact player at either of the 2 CB spots.

Hell, that's only 4 positions & Spielman has 11 picks to work with.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    They needed a lot of help when they had Harvin. Yes they added Jennings, but he's more of a replacement for Harvin and all those needs are still there plus more after getting rid of our starting MLB, our starting CB & losing 2 other WR's.
    I hear ya man. Preaching to the choir.

Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast