Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Winny released

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired
    It said that Winfield visited the Seahawks today. So I am assuming that if he is going to sign with them, something should be said by tomorrow. I still think he wants to be in Minnesota. I would assume it would be hard to leave the place that you played the past 9 years of your career with, even though he got released. He has the option to come back, so I am guessing that he wants to.

First a report earlier said that the Seahawks and Winfield were ironing out the final details on a deal, and that a deal would be reached soon.

Then a new report came out a little while ago and said that Winfield is deciding between the Seahawks and Vikings, and that the situation is very fluid.

Now I completely understand the reason to release Winfield. He is getting older, he had a high salary on the books, and it was said he was going to be taking a reduced role on this team, I get all of that. What I don't get is that the Vikings have no plans on how to replace him. Why didn't they try to land Nnamdi Asomugha who signed a modest deal with the 49ers? The problem that I have, is that the Vikings try to replace every position with a rookie in the draft. Sure you will get some good players in the draft, but realistically, how many starters does a team think they can get out of the draft every year? We had 2 last year and that was considered great. So how are we supposed to get a starting MLB, CB, and WR in this draft? Any of the 2nd rd CB's that I have heard about aren't necessarily starters (I could be wrong on that one)

So despite his age, Winfield was our best CB last season by far, so how can you replace everything he brought to this team with a rookie? The answer is simple, the Vikings can't. So how do they expect to keep pace with the 10 wins and the playoff appearance that the Vikings had last year? For all the good moves they do, they sure have their fair share of bullshit deals that they don't do that really hampers this team. If they don't get a true starting CB for next year, our secondary is going to be destroyed plain and simple.

Flair Hay is offline Rookie
    I dont agree Winfield should have been the first one on the chopping block but I can easily see why. If you lose Loadholt or even Sanford/Henderson all have a possible 5-6 years left as starters if the team believes in them. Winfield even if he wasn't cut this year would probably be done after next year anyway. The team made a call that hurts now but will benefit long term. Can't have your cake and eat it too for long in the NFL these days.

Yeah, I agree on why it happened. The part I don't get is that the Vikings have no viable backup plan to replace his leadership and production. None of the current CB's on the roster can match Winfield's production on the field or his leadership in the locker room, and damn sure no rookie is going to replace his leadership, and quite possibly his production.

Why didn't they ask K-Will and/or Allen to restructure or take a pay cut? Allen is still playing at a high level, so a restructure and adding 2 years to his deal was most likely a possibility. K-Will is not the same player he was a few years ago, so how come he hasn't reduced his pay or get released? IMO, its easier to find a DT to do what K-Will did rather than trying to find a CB that can shut down a passing game. That is what I don't get.

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    I half wonder if the seahawks do land Winfield if the Vikings will turn to expacker Charles Woodson....it almost seems like you could do up a flowchart, hawks sign Viking, Vikings sign packer

Hope we don't see this happening and Winfield retires a Viking

Flair Hay is offline Rookie
    I think it may be in our team's best interest to let Allen play out his contract this year so we can get him on a reasonable 2-3 year deal after this season. It sucks to have a $17M cap hit but its for THIS SEASON where few consider us Super Bowl contenders.

My guess is Ricky is planning a run at the title for 2014 or 15 and is taking the hit in the loss column this year to make sure in another 11-23 months we are in prime position to add whatever the missing piece is then. Ie: Falcons trading up for Julio/when we traded for Jared, etc. It's the only thing I can come up with anyway.

FuadFan is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by VikesfaninWis View Post
    Yeah, I agree on why it happened. The part I don't get is that the Vikings have no viable backup plan to replace his leadership and production. None of the current CB's on the roster can match Winfield's production on the field or his leadership in the locker room, and damn sure no rookie is going to replace his leadership, and quite possibly his production.

Why didn't they ask K-Will and/or Allen to restructure or take a pay cut? Allen is still playing at a high level, so a restructure and adding 2 years to his deal was most likely a possibility. K-Will is not the same player he was a few years ago, so how come he hasn't reduced his pay or get released? IMO, its easier to find a DT to do what K-Will did rather than trying to find a CB that can shut down a passing game. That is what I don't get.

I'm having trouble understanding why you think the Vikings would go after anybody else when they have still shown full commitment towards getting Winfield back you don't go to Plan B or C when Plan A of re-signing Winfield is still what they are looking to accomplish.

As to why Winfield instead Williams or Allen my opinion would be that

1) Williams isn't looking to cut his pay anymore then Winfield was when the Vikes brought it up to him at the combine and Allen may want to have better leverage toward his final big payday then coming off last year when he was coping with injuries.

2) As important as CBs are towards dealing with this pass happy league pass rushers still probably rank higher on importance of limiting passing so Jared and Kevin end up holding their spots on the roster over Winfield.
    Minnesota Vikings : Simply the best

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by VikesfaninWis View Post
    Now I completely understand the reason to release Winfield. He is getting older, he had a high salary on the books, and it was said he was going to be taking a reduced role on this team, I get all of that. What I don't get is that the Vikings have no plans on how to replace him. Why didn't they try to land Nnamdi Asomugha who signed a modest deal with the 49ers? The problem that I have, is that the Vikings try to replace every position with a rookie in the draft. Sure you will get some good players in the draft, but realistically, how many starters does a team think they can get out of the draft every year? We had 2 last year and that was considered great. So how are we supposed to get a starting MLB, CB, and WR in this draft? Any of the 2nd rd CB's that I have heard about aren't necessarily starters (I could be wrong on that one)
    Welcome to the clusterfuck that is the Vikings FO. Where every 1 good move is negated by 2 WTF moves.

Quote Originally Posted by FuadFan View Post
    I'm having trouble understanding why you think the Vikings would go after anybody else when they have still shown full commitment towards getting Winfield back you don't go to Plan B or C when Plan A of re-signing Winfield is still what they are looking to accomplish.

As to why Winfield instead Williams or Allen my opinion would be that

1) Williams isn't looking to cut his pay anymore then Winfield was when the Vikes brought it up to him at the combine and Allen may want to have better leverage toward his final big payday then coming off last year when he was coping with injuries.

2) As important as CBs are towards dealing with this pass happy league pass rushers still probably rank higher on importance of limiting passing so Jared and Kevin end up holding their spots on the roster over Winfield.
    You should have more trouble with what the Vikings are doing instead of having trouble with what I am thinking. Several big name players around the league have restructured their contracts to give their teams more space to work with this off season. So why is out of the realm to think that K-Will or Allen wouldn't do it?

Plan A as you put it (Bringing back Winfield) is not a guarantee at all. So checking in on other guys who play the CB position seems like the right thing to do don't you think? Its not like Winfield is a free agent by choice, he was forced into that position, which is why the Vikings chances of bringing him back are very slim. Don't you think he would rather go to a team like the Seahawks who have their WR, QB, RB, and defense positions all taken care of versus coming back here to a mediocre situation at best at QB and defense? Not to mention that if they don't get a damn good WR in the draft, they will still have some very real concerns at that position despite signing Jennings.

So on one hand, Winfield has the option to come back to the team he has played the past 9 years with, who to his shock released him just hours before the start of free agency started even though teams could talk to the agents of free agents 3 days prior to that, and has many question marks with mediocre QB play. Or he can go play for a team that is in the top discussion of winning the SB next season and start fresh where he feels he is wanted. Doesn't really seem like that hard of s decision to me. In all honesty if I was in Winfield's shoes, I would say fuck the Vikings and sign with Seattle. All the more reason to look at other players. Right now the Vikings have Cook, Jefferson, and Robinson as the CB's, that is a fucking joke.

Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    Welcome to the clusterfuck that is the Vikings FO. Where every 1 good move is negated by 2 WTF moves.
    Yep, at this point signing Jennings is the only good addition they made to this team despite needing a lot of help. I understand they aren't necessarily in the position to go after several big names, but they could definitely add a play making CB if they asked their higher paid players to restructure. What good is Jennings going to be if Ponder doesn't progress? Megatron can't put up great numbers if he doesn't have a QB to get him the ball.

Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast