Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Winny released

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion
    If you keep cutting your vets for cap space and bringing in new guys you are just a team that is rebuilding decade after decade. You look at the teams that win superbowls. They almost always have a balance of vets in key positions and new talent with a couple of super stars.

A few years ago the talk was all about rebuilding the O line then it was the D line then it was the pass defense then it was QB now it is receivers. We have been rebuilding parts of this team forever it seems. We get a part rebuilt then we cut the best guys for cap in order to build some other part. We need to figure out how to get a whole team without gutting parts of it in order to build up another part. It used to be that the really good players played most of their career with one team. I guess those days are gone now with caps and big contracts. I think its too bad really.

WWBGD

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    You also have to know that 2 years ago we were in a hell of a cap situation and had no free dollars to work with. We lost players that year and last year I believe we were also thin on room to redo any deals with. Correct me if I am wrong.
    For a team that was in a hell of a cap situation and had no free dollars to work with, they managed to sign AD to a $100 mil contract in September, which had a cap hit of over$13 million.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    AND, like it or not, we are rebuilding.
    Cookie cutter excuse used every year since Childress was hired.

At what point since 2005 were we not rebuilding?

Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    AND, like it or not, we are rebuilding.

We've got at least 4 good players in the last draft (Kalil, Smith, Walsh, Robinson), plus Wright and Ellison look promising. Another year of good drafting, combined with the pickups of Jennings and Cassel at backup/starting if Ponder sucks, we'll be looking real good. With two first rounders, possibly exceptional. We have to let some vets go. The pack did it with Woodson, the Pats did it with Welker, that's what teams do. Let go of vets who are getting too costly or old, and replace them with younger guys who might not be AS good, but come cheaper, and there are more of them.
    You're forgetting a few things. If Ponder sux and Cassel ends up starting, there's no guarantee he'll be a lot better, especially after his performances in KC. We also don't have the #3 pick this year & from what people are saying it sounds like there are a lot of good players out there, but damn few that are great. You're also assuming that because we had a decent draft last year, you and others believe this to be the new norm, rather than an exception. Do not forget, Spielman has been a part of our FA & draft process since 2007.

Also, there's a time & place to start letting vets go & that is after you have someone on your team that is proven & you feel is good enough that you can replace your vet with him.

Using your logic, do you feel we should let a costly $14 mil AD go to free up cap space & go with a younger Gerhart who may not be as good, but is younger & cheaper? That way we could add a lot more good younger players? I'm betting not.
    Last edited by singersp; 03-25-2013 at 06:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RK. View Post
    If you keep cutting your vets for cap space and bringing in new guys you are just a team that is rebuilding decade after decade. You look at the teams that win superbowls. They almost always have a balance of vets in key positions and new talent with a couple of super stars.

A few years ago the talk was all about rebuilding the O line then it was the D line then it was the pass defense then it was QB now it is receivers. We have been rebuilding parts of this team forever it seems. We get a part rebuilt then we cut the best guys for cap in order to build some other part. We need to figure out how to get a whole team without gutting parts of it in order to build up another part. It used to be that the really good players played most of their career with one team. I guess those days are gone now with caps and big contracts. I think its too bad really.
    +1

Exactly! Not to mention that after these drafted players rookie contracts are done, they are going to want a big payday & Spielman is more apt to let them walk or trade them, rather than pay a lot of money to keep them. He'll re-sign a few of the average players & a bigger name player here & there, but I think we'll lose more than we keep. Especially if we ever find a franchise QB that will take a huge portion of our payroll. Take a look at the players we resigned since Spielman came on board in 2007 who we actually drafted & used picks on, that are still on the team today.

Yes teams like GB & NE have had success building thru the draft. The thing is they are building thru the draft where as we are trying to re-build thru the draft & have been trying to do so since at least 2006. Those two teams have the knack not only to find good players year in & year out, but have a damn good coaching staff that can teach & get the most out of their players.
    Last edited by singersp; 03-25-2013 at 06:59 AM.

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion
    The problem with our team is we are trapped between the 9's. By that I mean teams that have seasons of 9&7 8&8 or 7&9. They are good enough that they don't get the elite draft picks in the first round and their players for the most part are good players so they have little cap space to use in signing big name FA unless they cut their better players. Occasionally they get a wild card for the playoffs which goes nowhere and occasionally they have a bad season which gives them a top draft pick which moves them back up to the middle of the pack again only to repeat the cycle.

Over the years I have observed that teams that have broken out of this cycle build either a great defense or a great offense at the expense of the other for a time. Then they franchise their stars and sign their good players to long contracts. Then they work on bringing up the other half to an average team that can play a decent game. Once that pattern is established those teams seem to make the playoffs consistently year after year. The shot gun approach of filling a hole here and a hole there doesn't seem to work over the long haul. Those teams end up endlessly trying to fill holes instead of becoming whole. I see our Vikings caught in this endless cycle of mediocrity of make a hole, fill a hole, make a hole, fill a hole, make a hole, fill a hole.................... It doesn't make me a happy camper.
    Last edited by RK.; 03-25-2013 at 05:43 PM.

WWBGD

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Cookie cutter excuse used every year since Childress was hired.

At what point since 2005 were we not rebuilding?
    2009 and 2010 it definetly felt like win now mode. you don't bring in a 40+ year old QB if you are rebuilding.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    For a team that was in a hell of a cap situation and had no free dollars to work with, they managed to sign AD to a $100 mil contract in September, which had a cap hit of over$13 million.
    And how many more big dollar FA's were they bringing in?

PackSux! is offline Hall of Famer
    Seriously? So what you are saying is that signing Peterson was a bad thing? Purple Floyd is right about us not having much cap room the last couple years. You do remember Brett Favre right? Two years of him ate up a crap load of extra money that could of let's say resigned Winfield among others we have let go.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcdon00 View Post
    2009 and 2010 it definetly felt like win now mode. you don't bring in a 40+ year old QB if you are rebuilding.
    Favre was a stop gap QB brought in along the way or rebuilding until we found another QB.

Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast