Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Winny released

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    I heard an interesting theory that free agent vets and Winfield was the example used may sit back and wait if not signed before the draft fot there value to go up due to training camp injuries and he would also get a chance to skip most of that July/August activity....of course that could all change in a heartbeat with the right offer but we might not hear from Antoine until August

PackSux! is offline Hall of Famer
    The new cba is driving down the price of veteran players now that you don't have to pay a shit ton for a rookie. When have you ever seen this many quality corners on the market this long?

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by PackSux! View Post
    The new cba is driving down the price of veteran players now that you don't have to pay a shit ton for a rookie. When have you ever seen this many quality corners on the market this long?
    that and the cap today is lower than the 2009 128 mill

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    LOL.

I can understand not being a fan of the moves, but his opinions are so one sided, and ignore one key part... MONEY.

If we keep Winfield, we don't afford Harvin/Jennings. That's what it comes down to. We don't have much cap space, we've had to re-negotiate a number of players to get where we are. I'd have liked to see us keep Winfield, but I understand letting him go.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    The big dollar hole is Jared Allen tho, and part of that is his signing bonus still costing us cap room. I'm starting to get the feeling that he won't be a Viking next year, cuz we'll let him test the market and won't want to match somebody else's offer...

Which is where we will find room to eat up Jennings and Load's rising costs.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion
    The money is important but its not everything. I agree with Reusse to some extent. If you get rid of your top pro-bowl caliber players for cap space you end up with a team of 2nd tier players that have ok seasons, but your team does not make it to the SB. You end up as a wild card team at best every few years and thats it. Its great that Spiellman is managing the money but he is not getting us a championship team doing it.

WWBGD

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RK. View Post
    The money is important but its not everything. I agree with Reusse to some extent. If you get rid of your top pro-bowl caliber players for cap space you end up with a team of 2nd tier players that have ok seasons, but your team does not make it to the SB. You end up as a wild card team at best every few years and thats it. Its great that Spiellman is managing the money but he is not getting us a championship team doing it.

Again, I understand the frustration, but you have to ask what are we supposed to do?

Obvious answers are re-structure Allen and KW, but perhaps they're not open to that?

A great run-stuffing corner can only do so much, we need more pieces, and burning 7mil in cap space for Winfield IS too much. We NEED that space to do things like sign receivers. Keep in mind, space not used can be transferred to next year, giving us a bit more wiggle room.

Blog Entries
    AND, like it or not, we are rebuilding.

We've got at least 4 good players in the last draft (Kalil, Smith, Walsh, Robinson), plus Wright and Ellison look promising. Another year of good drafting, combined with the pickups of Jennings and Cassel at backup/starting if Ponder sucks, we'll be looking real good. With two first rounders, possibly exceptional. We have to let some vets go. The pack did it with Woodson, the Pats did it with Welker, that's what teams do. Let go of vets who are getting too costly or old, and replace them with younger guys who might not be AS good, but come cheaper, and there are more of them.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    AND, like it or not, we are rebuilding.

We've got at least 4 good players in the last draft (Kalil, Smith, Walsh, Robinson), plus Wright and Ellison look promising. Another year of good drafting, combined with the pickups of Jennings and Cassel at backup/starting if Ponder sucks, we'll be looking real good. With two first rounders, possibly exceptional. We have to let some vets go. The pack did it with Woodson, the Pats did it with Welker, that's what teams do. Let go of vets who are getting too costly or old, and replace them with younger guys who might not be AS good, but come cheaper, and there are more of them.

Yep. I agree with your premise of what they are doing. The key to it working is if they have the right staff in place to both identify the right talent to bring in to replace these vets at the spots in the draft we will be picking in and also to be able to develop those players when we get them and to tweak the systems to account for the skill sets the players have.

IF we have the ability to do that, we can cut the vets loose and still have a contending team. If not then honestly we really stand no chance even if we do keep the vets.

Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast