Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Winning a cure for all the buffoonery

[size=13pt]Jim Souhan: Winning a cure for all the buffoonery[/size]

If Brad Childress demonstrates his coaching skill, the Vikings might be able to turn the page from all of its recent missteps.

Jim Souhan, Star Tribune
    Last update: September 10, 2006 – 11:44 PM

Washington, D.C.

An open letter to Vikings coach Brad Childress:

Congratulations, Chili. This is a great day to be you.

After coaching stops at Illinois, Indianapolis, Northern Arizona, Utah, Wisconsin and Philadelphia, after lugging your family around the country like Carnies, today you receive your beautiful reward.

You have climbed the most sparsely populated mountaintop in your profession, the Mount Olympus of oblong balls, and tonight you will debut on "Monday Night Football" in the nation's capital on the anniversary of Sept. 11 on the sideline opposite Joe Gibbs.

This is not only a wonderful ceremonial occasion, Chili, it's a no-lose proposition.

Washington is supposed to win. The Redskins have the most expensive coaching staff in the history of sports, a notable home-field advantage and a Hall of Fame head coach.

Lose, Chili, and we'll understand. Win, and you and your 47 assistants will have trumped coaching genius.

Which, it appears, is what you're going to have to become if your franchise is going to amount to anything during your stay.

Red McCombs' tenure as Vikings owner gave us cheapness, populist cries of "Purple Pride!" and a few very good football teams.

When Zygmunt Wilf purchased the Vikings from McCombs, we were ensured that not only would the team improve, but that the franchise would become more professional and accountable.

Instead, what we have been subjected to is silliness that even the wild-eyed used car salesman couldn't have dreamed up.

After this franchise traded a great wide receiver (Randy Moss) because of off-field problems, this amorphous front office signed an above-average wide receiver (Koren Robinson) whose off-field problems were much worse.

Zygmunt responded to the Love Boat fiasco with a 77-page code of conduct that no one ever has or ever will read.

Zygmunt traded a prolific quarterback (Daunte Culpepper) for a project center (Ryan Cook). Even if Culpepper flops in Miami, and I don't think he will in the long run, that was a poor job of asset management.

After the Vikings bragged about their ability to limit off-field problems, they had key players arrested in the wee hours following their first two home preseason games -- in other words, the first opportunities their players had to roam the Twin Cities. Then they signed a player fined for his Love Boat activities to a lucrative contract extension.

Instead of hiring a GM, they hired an MM -- Mascot Manager Rick Spielman. Nobody seems to know exactly what he does other than hold mock news conferences to introduce team mascots, as he did last week.

This franchise invested faith in Robinson and Fran (Faux) Foley. This franchise is spending more money on new, silly looking uniforms, new offices, new fences and a new song than it is on its starting quarterback.

To borrow a word from Tom Kelly, Wilf's regime has given us little but "buffoonery."

But, Chili, none of that spells doom for you.

The NFL's virulent strain of parity means that, if you can coach, your team can thrive.

The Purple features no transcendent skill position players, but they have impressive offensive and defensive lines, a smart quarterback, and they play in a division that could be thinner than Calista Flockhart.

Tonight, Chili, will offer an instant referendum on just how important coaching experience is in any individual game.

Gibbs has won three Super Bowls with three different quarterbacks and featured running backs. His offensive coordinator is Al Saunders, the best candidate not to get a head coaching job this offseason ... unless that was defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, whom the Vikings were interested in until the Redskins signed him to a rich contract.

Chili, you're facing the football wing of Mensa, and your staff is a bunch of guys who got their jobs through the No Child Left Behind program.

So, enjoy today, Brad. You worked a long time to make it to the Mount Olympus of oblong balls, and if you win a few games like this one, Zygi would be foolish not to hand you the keys to the franchise and get out of the way.

Jim Souhan can be heard Sundays from 10 a.m.-noon on KSTP AM 1500. [email protected]

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Del Rio Guest

Re: Winning a cure for all the buffoonery

Damage control for Jim Souhan lol.

"Chili I've been talking shit on you all season. If you win it doesn't mean anything. Your expected to lose so lucky you"

This guy is pretty weak lol.

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

I just don't get it.

I enjoy reading what local papers and their writers have to say about their home area teams usually, but MN has to be one of the worst places in the country when it comes to backing your home State Teams....

As for this guy, if he likes to hand out nicknames based on food items, he would definetly have to look in the mirror and name himself

Jim " Oatmeal " Souhan.
    Becuase it's boring as hell, has no taste, and nobody likes it...

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

Prophet Guest

I like how he's trying for force the nickname down our throats.

"Prophet" wrote:
    I like how he's trying for force the nickname down our throats.
    That nickname will never stick......I still haven't heard or thought of one I like yet. A good one will come along as the season goes on.....But his nickname of Chili just shows how much of a loser this guy is....

Dekay is offline Pro-Bowler Element Quest Champion

I dont like this Jim Souhan at all... Kindof brings a sour taste to the whole article.

Good thing i've found this site and will never have to bother to surf startribune again that was my mainsource of vikingnews up until today.

EDITED: Spelling

mr.woo is offline Team Alumni

it pi$$es me off when he says lose and well understand. screw that man i want to go undefeated. imn not gonna be like good try childress even though we just got beat it was a good try. no im gonna be mad as he!! if we lose and happy as possible if we win. thats the way it goes. no one, NO ONE should expect to lose. if you expect t o lose you shouldnt be playing. anyway thats my 2 cents
    woo out
    just two corn cobs shy of a bushel

I assume the nickname comes from Childress' interaction with the media, or lack of interaction? Souhan sounds like a bitter, pouty, teenage girl who was dumped. He really never states the obvious tone that Childress and he are not chummy. For my money, give me a coach who focuses on football, not the media and his relationship with them.

from Vikingned:

As for this guy, if he likes to hand out nicknames based on food items, he would definetly have to look in the mirror and name himself

Jim " Oatmeal " Souhan.
    Becuase it's boring as hell, has no taste, and nobody likes it...

[/quote]

and it has alot fiber, and makes you want to @%$*!

"vikinginvirginia" wrote:
    I assume the nickname comes from Childress' interaction with the media, or lack of interaction? Souhan sounds like a bitter, pouty, teenage girl who was dumped. He really never states the obvious tone that Childress and he are not chummy. For my money, give me a coach who focuses on football, not the media and his relationship with them.

I read somewhere, Souhan came up with the nickname Chili when, the first time Jim went into Chilidress office to meet him for the first time and Jim said it's Chilly in here, Brad said, don't worry about how Chilly it is and do your job, empty out my waste baskett......Brad thought he was the janitor...... ;D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast