Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Bulldog67 is offline Starter

Winner of the Free Agency?

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by purplehorn

B.S. Elling sucks he missed a 10 yrd shot. Tice has no faith in him because he
    cannot do the job, We need a kicker regardless of age that can put it through
    the dam uprights-period....
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

You do realize that a 10 yard field goal attempt isn't possible, right? I don't think that the officals would allow the Vikings to snap the ball from seven yards deep in the end zone.

Who hasn't missed chip shots from time to time? Brian missed two PATs in one game against Buffalo and was considered before that to be an excellent place kicker. Carney blew a PAT in Jacksonville that would have put New Orleans in the playoffs and he is still one of the most accurate Kickers in the NFL. s**t happens but guys get better.

If Tice had no confidence in Elling whatsoever, why isn't he looking at a veteren place kicker to come to camp? Or how about a veteren kicker for the stretch run last year? The only addition they are looking to make to the kicking game this offseason is a punter and his primary purpose is most likely to tutor Johnson.
    Bleed Purple or Die

ksvikesfan is offline Rookie

I can't think of any real good free agent kickers that were available. It wouldn't surprise me to see us spend a higher draft pick on that kid from Iowa. I thought I also heard (I can't remember where though) that we had invited Darren Bennett (that Aussie punter for the Chargers) to Winter Park.

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

Bulldog, Elling was inconsistent all year, not just on one or two occasions so don't try and defend him. Kicker probably has the esiest learning curve of any position in football. Elling was not a rookie, just so you know. Johnson was supposed to have this rocket leg but had one of the worst averages in the league. These are physical and mental limitations, not technical. If there is one thing that I think everyone can agree is the most important quality for a kicker to have it is consistency. Can you honestly say that our kickers were consistent last year?

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

While I agree the learning curve for kickers is easier, I don't think many other positions on the field/team that is as solitary. Meaning that the head games part of it is what makes it difficult. Not defending the poor play as they were supposed to be professionals, however I think both will be much improved next year. (At least that's my hope!)
    The truth? You can t handle the truth!!

snausages is offline Training Camp

The winner of free-agency is not determined until the end of the 2004 season. How can anyone be sure that any players signed will have a significant impact on their teams?

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by snausages

The winner of free-agency is not determined until the end of the 2004 season. How can anyone be sure that any players signed will have a significant impact on their teams?

That sounds like Packer wisdom to me. I think the Packers know alot of what it is like to sign overpriced, useless free-agents don't they snausages? Maybe your just bitter that your team can't to anything to improve on a squad that barely made it into the playoffs last year. Whereas we plan on doing better.

dan3ski is offline Coordinator

We Vikings fans are spoiled when it comes to kickers from the time of Fred Cox until last season the Vikings have had very good kickers!
    can we clone Bud Grant?

i jsut want solid kickers. one's you can count on. if tice and co. feel that the young kids are gonna be just that, then that's good enough for me. i'd feel more comfortable, however, with some veterans in there.
    "ted nugent called. he wants his shirt back."-george clooney, ocean s eleven

sdvikefan is offline Hall of Famer

Vikings have done excellent so far, a real surprise.

Off topic, I disagree with him about the Skins being losers...yeah they may suffer down the road but if they go all the way which they have a good chance to do then who cares?
    "Meet at the quarterback!" -Purple People Eaters

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by sdvikefan

Vikings have done excellent so far, a real surprise.

Off topic, I disagree with him about the Skins being losers...yeah they may suffer down the road but if they go all the way which they have a good chance to do then who cares?

the redskins will not be losers, only Dan Snyder will be. All their contracts are is bonus money, straight from his pocket. The players actual salary is fairly low, therefore not affecting the cap number as much.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast