Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

Winfield's The Man

Packers notice Winfield
    Mark Craig, Star Tribune

Vikings cornerback Antoine Winfield was the first name out of the mouths of Packers coach Mike Sherman and quarterback Brett Favre during this week's conference calls with the Twin Cities media.

"Obviously, their cornerback play has really helped them," said Sherman, whose Packers play the Vikings on Sunday at Lambeau Field. "Because of injuries and what not, that wasn't their strong suit last year. But I think Winfield has helped."

Winfield leads the Vikings in interceptions (two) and passes defensed (seven), which is understandable considering his position. What doesn't quite add up, however, is the 5-9, 185-pounder also leads the team in tackles (sixty-eight) and solo tackles (51) and is second in special-teams tackles with 10, only two behind leader Raonall Smith.

Winfield already has 10 more tackles and two more solo tackles than former Vikings cornerback Denard Walker had all of last season.

"Antoine Winfield, he's not a good player; he's close to being a great player," Vikings coach Mike Tice said. ". . . He is a great player. We're really lucky to have him. That's a 'good things come in small packages.' "

Nice to see that Winfield is getting props :cheers: . We are very very lucky to have this guy on the team. He really is the only consistent player on defense, well him and Kevin Williams are the bright spots right now. I feel bad for Winfield in a way because its almost like he has to do sh*t single handidly at times. He's relentluss and never gives up, a hell of a scrapper. Not only is he a tackler but his coverage is terrific. He turns and runs just as good as any active CB in the league. He's the complete package, I'm glad we have him for 6 years.

Winfield's The Man

I agree what you said, Winfield is starting to become one of my favorite players besides Randy Moss, Kevin Williams, and EJ Henderson. Before his 6 year is up, I'm hoping we will sign him longer! He's probably the best free agency signing we have with Marcus Robinson a close second and Wiggins behind Robinson.
    0fc1de3e4ff7ffe42e40bba70cebd90c

Winfield's The Man

LOL well that would make him about 32 by that time. He will still probably be playing at a fair level though.

Winfield's The Man

"vikingstw" wrote:
    LOL well that would make him about 32 by that time. He will still probably be playing at a fair level though.
    True but he would be better than the other corners!
    0fc1de3e4ff7ffe42e40bba70cebd90c

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Winfield's The Man

Ok, first I am not dogging AW, but I expected better defense by this guy. I have seen some poor coverage by him and he has been beat. I know that every CB gets beat once in awhile. But, he is a "Shutdown CB". I can say that I am very happy with some of his tackles.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Winfield's The Man

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    Ok, first I am not dogging AW, but I expected better defense by this guy. I have seen some poor coverage by him and he has been beat. I know that every CB gets beat once in awhile. But, he is a "Shutdown CB". I can say that I am very happy with some of his tackles.
    Those are some high expectations. He has done a great job though. I remember himgetting beat a couple of times. But, it is all the other times that they don't even throw his direction that matters. Not everyone will have corners like the Ravens.

Winfield's The Man

SOME OF HIS TACKLES!!!!, come on dude that guys already saved so many TD's this year by ankle tackles. AW is a beast, i would take Antoine Winfield over the Ravens Baxter and day. Maybe not Mcalister but AW is better than baxter. Just how many times has Winfield been beat this year? He gave up a so so TD to Owens, I am yet to see him being left behind in the dust.

I dont agree with the poor coverage part, at all. He's played off and what not but he is very consistant CB. The best we have had in my lifetime, or at least since i have been watching.

enlvikeman is offline Hall of Famer

Winfield's The Man

yeah when we got this guy i remember many bills fans saying to me that AW doesn't have the best pass coverage skills in the world but he will step up and smack someone. that is a luxury to find a cornerback willing to hit like a linebacker. i still say we need another elite cornerback. move brian williams to FS and sell the farm to get that antrel rolle guy from Miami. we get that done you'll here something we havent heard in a long time. " The Vikings defense just forced a coverage sack! "

"24 mil under the cap? there are teams 30 mil over the cap, heck that gives us at least 50 mil to spend"

CollegeGuyJeff circa 2006

VikemanX84 is offline Hall of Famer

Winfield's The Man

Well, actually The Vikings have forced more than 1 coverage sack so far this season.

Winfield is awesome. I was watching a game with Champ Baily once this season and he got beat sdo bad it wasn't funny and he is the best in the league. Winfield hasn't been beat as bad as Champ was this season.

Winfield has done exceptionally well, he has even exceeeded my high expectations of him. He's one of the best in the league.

Brian Williams move to free Safety? I don't think so, he is a rising star there at Cornerback. With Marvin harrisson the other side Reggie wayne had been tearing up defenses all season, guess what, B-will silenced him. Williams has done a terrific job this season, we have a great secondary with Russel and Chavous at the Safety position. I just wish our good-for-nothing waste-of-space defensive coordinator would use this talent better. Man, I miss O'learly.
    When it s all said and done, you ll have to admit we re number 1!

JWalkRulz84 is offline Rookie

Winfield's The Man

well, you'll get a first hand view of winfield getting b*tch slapped by javon walker tommorrow. then ill be laughing my a$$ off. but ill give you the fact that winfield is good. he was a real good pick up and easily a top 5 corner in the NFL. but not tommorrow.
    [img:ebda3835f6]http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/packer/img/insider/wallpaper/111504/walk640.jpg[/img:ebda3835f6]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast