Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    dsharp is offline Training Camp

Re: Winfield's Absence Opens Door For cCauley

"Zeus" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "mr.woo" wrote:
    winfield is a beast and the suriest tackler and best run support corner in the league. a short time ago he was a fan favorite but now all of a sudden every1 has turned there back on him. give the guy a while to get his money and get in camp. then you can judge him as you seefit.
    Best in the league? No.
    Best on out team? Yes.
    Who's a better run-stopping corner than Antoine?
    Give me names.
    Ronde Barber had more solo tackles and total tackles than Winfield, so he might be a better run-stopper, but I haven't watched him enough to be sure.

NDVikingFan66 is offline Team Alumni

Winfield is almost guaranteed his starting slot, but what is happening is extra practice for the young guys, which means it could be the end of the Winfield era next year after the new guys develop.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Zeus" wrote:
    And this isn't about the money.
    If it was I would be fine with it.
    But he has said several times that it isn't about his contract.
    Wait.
    You'd rather he be bitching about his money than desperately wanting the team to get better players so they can win?

You'd be happier if he's a selfish money-loving prick than if he's a team guy who desperately wants to win?

Holy Bones!, NP, that's insane.

=Z=
    If he was being underpaid and was unhappy with his contract, then yes, I would st least understand his motivation in skipping the OTAs - although I would be more impressed with him if he went anyway.
    Again, right or wrong, it happens with some frequency in the NFL, and it has become an accepted practice.
    I don't really agree with it (in fact I don't agree with the concept of OTAs in general) but it is a fact of life.

If he wants the team to get better so desperately, wouldn't it make more sense for him to do something that might make the team, I don't know, better?
    I see nothing positive that can come out of him skipping the OTAs.
    It probably won't really hurt anything either, except maybe the way some fans and coaches look at him.
    But if he really wanted the team to get better, he would take an active part in making the team better.
    A young receiver can learn a lot more going up against a veteran CB than they can going up against a rookie or second year player.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

seaniemck7 is offline Hall of Famer

I am with Zeus on this one. Winfield is doing what he feels he can without airing his displeasure outside of the organization.
    OTA's are voluntary workouts.
    He attended the mandatory camp.
    I do not like to see anyone skip OTA's, but veterans with valid reasons?
    I can live it.

I firmly believe that Winfield is taking issue with personnel decisions on offense. More specifically, I think Winfield is lobbying for Chilly to bring in Moulds and/or Bledsoe (maybe) to help the offense through some veteran leadership.
    Winfield has ties with those guys from his days in Buffalo.
    If we brought in Moulds (or both), I think Winfield would be at Winter Park tomorrow.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"seaniemck7" wrote:
    I am with Zeus on this one. Winfield is doing what he feels he can without airing his displeasure outside of the organization.
    I can live it.

I firmly believe that Winfield is taking issue with personnel decisions on offense. More specifically, I think Winfield is lobbying for Chilly to bring in Moulds and/or Bledsoe (maybe) to help the offense through some veteran leadership.
    If we brought in Moulds (or both), I think Winfield would be at Winter Park tomorrow.
    I thought we had a staff that evaluated talent and put them on the field.

Maybe he wants to help out there.
    Wonder if they let him sit in on a few decision making process meetings related to the signing of offensive talent he might be happier.

Sad state of affairs when the lunatics are running the asylum.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Billy Boy is offline Hall of Famer

"seaniemck7" wrote:
    I can live it.

LOL Seanie you have some interesting theories.
    Where did you get these ideas from?

All the kids my age pee their pants, it's the coolest.

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "seaniemck7" wrote:
    I can live it.

Wonder if they let him sit in on a few decision making process meetings related to the signing of offensive talent he might be happier.

;D
    The inmates aren't running anything. He is showing quiet displeasure of decisions. If the vikes have 13 newbs running routes posing as WR for 5 slots on the team, why not bring in Moulds to compete since he has shown production as an NFL wideout. (This is my assumption on Winfield's thought process).

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"seaniemck7" wrote:
    I can live it.

I can live with it too.
    What are his valid reasons?
    He never made any contact with Coach Childress or the Vikings staff before the first OTAs to let them know he would not be there or give any reason for his absence.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2879442
    Asked about Winfield's absence, Vikings coach Brad Childress said, "I really don't know. You'd have to ask him that. He hasn't been here in the offseason program, and that's a guy's prerogative."
    There are many, many valid reasons for not taking part.
    Disagreement with the coaching staff isn't one of them IMHO.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"seaniemck7" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "seaniemck7" wrote:
    I can live it.

;D
    The inmates aren't running anything. He is showing quiet displeasure of decisions. If the vikes have 13 newbs running routes posing as WR for 5 slots on the team, why not bring in Moulds to compete since he has shown production as an NFL wideout. (This is my assumption on Winfield's thought process).
    Regardless of how his talents translate into the WCO scheme of fast posession recievers, I am not sure if a 11 year Vet that had only 57 Recptions for 557 yds (the longest being 29 yds), and 1 TD is worth a $5Mil signing bonus and a $14Mil contract.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2391714

Sources confirmed that the Texans have reached an agreement in principle with Buffalo Bills wide receiver Eric Moulds on a four-year contract believed to be worth $14 million. The agreement, first reported by The Houston Chronicle, is said to include a $5 million signing bonus. The deal is believed to be similar to the four-year, $14 million contract that free agent Keyshawn Johnson signed with Carolina last week
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"Billy" wrote:
    "seaniemck7" wrote:
    I can live it.

LOL Seanie you have some interesting theories.
    Where did you get these ideas from?
    My theory about Moulds comes from little excerpt from ProfootballTalk.com that put that little seed in my head.
    It makes sense to me though.
    When 'Toine came in to camp, he had a discussion with Chilly, probably not his first one.
    For a guy with his character to miss out on OTA's, I am assuming this is something that he feels strongly about, something personal to him.
    Why would he take such a personal issue with the offense as a defensive player?
    Because he has a solution: bring in talent that will help the team.
    However his solution has personal ties him directly.
    He played with Moulds, and he wants to get the jobless Moulds on the team.

This could be waaay off, but its exactly how I would handle it.
    I have done things similar in the past.
    I make a stink, without really making a stink.
    I brought up my concerns only because I had a personal agenda that coincided with my team's (company's).
    Winfield's ideas fit the perception that we have a veteran need at WR and QB and his solutions have merit and personal ties.

Those are my random/adult ADD thought processes for you...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast