Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Winfield won't be back until training camp

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "BBQ" wrote:
    Given a team with as much salary cap room (and as many position holes) as the Vikings, you'd think Brad, Wilf, & the gang would be scrambling furiously to fill as many of these holes as possible with proven talent - particularly at wide receiver.
    This year's "proven" talent, especially in the position of WR, would barely be considered mediocre in any other year of free agency.
    Donte Stallworth?
    Drew Bennett? Not bad players, but certainly not people you should be willing to break the bank over.

I am content to bring in your players that can grow with the system.
    I want a team that is a force in the NFL for years, not just a one year wonder.

And you can't argue that spending big money on free agents is the way to build a winning team, when Washington does exactly that every year and finished with a worse record than us last season.
    Adequately articulated my friend.
    ;D

Over priced, over hyped FA class of this year were definately not worth the $$ in my opinion.

Of course, if they would have signed one or two the vast majority of football fans out there who just want to cheer for a name would have been alot happier.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

"BBQ" wrote:
    "vike4eva" wrote:
    Well said Cogitans, like you my loyalty is with the team and whilst I think AW is a good player if his heart and head aren't right why put him in the team? He will be defualt drag the other players down and there are already a lot of players who are both young and inexperienced and have enough on their plates without having to look ove their shoulder to see if the veterans are being kept happy.

AW should remember what it was like to be a rookie and I'm sure some of his early team mates questioned his ability and attitude but they kept it to themselves and probably even helped him out.
    That's where he should be and like I say if he can't do it then be up front and go.
    I don't think it's possible for the Vikings to be dragged down any further than they already have been.
    I've noticed that virtually nobody here has contested the truth of
    Winfield's statements.
    This is precisely because his grievances are completely valid.
    Reading the "Winfield has seen enough" article really drove home the disappointing lack of activity this offseason.

The Vikings had more salary-cap room than nearly every team heading into this offseason, and now they have a league high in space after acquiring younger, unproven players such as Shiancoe and Wade, instead of available veterans such as tight ends Daniel Graham or Randy McMichael and receivers Drew Bennett, Donte Stallworth, Joe Horn or even Ashley Lelie (the Vikings did try hard to sign Kevin Curtis, who ended up with the Philadelphia Eagles).

The Vikings also never mounted a serious push to address another glaring need - a speedy pass rusher - by passing on Patrick Kerney.
    Given a team with as much salary cap room (and as many position holes) as the Vikings, you'd think Brad, Wilf, & the gang would be scrambling furiously to fill as many of these holes as possible with proven talent - particularly at wide receiver.
    But the lack of results shows that they apparently "the system" (which worked so spectacularly last year : ) is enough.
    Bullshit.
    You need capable players - ones who have actually played more than 18 downs in their professional careers - to win games.
    Granted, you can build around young talent, but without veterans, who are they going to learn from?
    You can sign at least ONE veteran without disrupting your MASTER PLAN FOR THE FUTURE (cue majestic trumpets).
    Even if they had signed only ONE high-impact receiver, it would have been an improvement after what we have now.
    It's not like all of the people they passed on were over the hill.

Maybe I'm being unfair.
    Maybe they actually DID actively try to sign some of those players (no, just thinking about it isn't enough).
    Perhaps they wanted to, but couldn't.
    Woulda, coulda, shoulda, DIDN'T.
    When you have bajillions of extra dollars to throw around, there are bound to be a few players interested in getting on board.
    Since it certainly wasn't a lack of money that kept them from actually making a few improvements this year, it must be assumed that the Vikings front office was either incompetent or indifferent.
    Honestly, I think it's MORE than a little of both.
    I like it when people come out and say, we had all the caproom, but we didn't go for any good WRs in FA.

It's just bullshit to me. The talent simply weren't there in FA at that position. They went for the guy that had the possible talent - Kevin Curtis - but he elected to go elsewhere.
    The only other guy I would have gone for were D.J. Hackett out of Seattle. But he were a RFA and the Seattle made enough of an effort to keep him on their team.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

Billy Boy is offline Hall of Famer

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "BBQ" wrote:
    This year's "proven" talent, especially in the position of WR, would barely be considered mediocre in any other year of free agency.
    Donte Stallworth?
    Drew Bennett? Not bad players, but certainly not people you should be willing to break the bank over.

I am content to bring in your players that can grow with the system.
    I want a team that is a force in the NFL for years, not just a one year wonder.

And you can't argue that spending big money on free agents is the way to build a winning team, when Washington does exactly that every year and finished with a worse record than us last season.
    Adequately articulated my friend.
    ;D

Over priced, over hyped FA class of this year were definately not worth the $$ in my opinion.

Of course, if they would have signed one or two the vast majority of football fans out there who just want to cheer for a name would have been alot happier.
    And thats where A.D. comes in.
    So everyone is happy! Right?

All the kids my age pee their pants, it's the coolest.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Billy" wrote:
    "BBQ" wrote:

Maybe I'm being unfair.
    Maybe they actually DID actively try to sign some of those players (no, just thinking about it isn't enough).
    Perhaps they wanted to, but couldn't.
    Woulda, coulda, shoulda, DIDN'T.
    When you have bajillions of extra dollars to throw around, there are bound to be a few players interested in getting on board.
    Since it certainly wasn't a lack of money that kept them from actually making a few improvements this year, it must be assumed that the Vikings front office was either incompetent or indifferent.
    Honestly, I think it's MORE than a little of both.
    Ah yes wouldn't it have been nice.
    Unfortunately if we would have signed those overpriced players then Winfield would probably whine about how hes getting under payed while lesser players are getting more simply because we had the cap room to throw money around.
    As we saw last year this organization is not against paying players or bringing in FA's.
    One low level offseason does not suggest we should jump viking ship or even stop swabbing the deck.

In the end Chilly used his fox like cunning and had a private meeting with Winfield and smooth out all the bumps, for another season at least.
    Well they each spoke their mind. I'm not sold on the idea they got things ironed out though. His comment about seeing enough of the team to know they are not going to improve over last season & that he won't be back until training camp, pretty much spells that out to me.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

PAvikesfan is offline Star Spokesman

I really can't fault the guy for using common sense...
    meaning, we did nothing to improve our offense from last year except get adrian peterson, who as long he stays healthy willhelp out a lot.
    the Wr's we picked up are a nice add but rookie WR more times than not suck a$$ their first season.

Winfield will end up doing his job, report to camp, etc.
    I know how he feels.
    Not going after a top QB or WR in FA hurts.
    Who's our crutch?
    Bollinger and Wiliamson...hahahaha.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"PAvikesfan" wrote:
    meaning, we did nothing to improve our offense from last year except get adrian peterson, who as long he stays healthy willhelp out a lot.
    the Wr's we picked up are a nice add but rookie WR more times than not suck a$$ their first season.

I know how he feels.
    Who's our crutch?
    T-Will has had an excellent offseason catching balls. Read the articles.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

The bottom line is that he is disgruntled with the way the team is going. He claims that money has nothing to do with his absence.
    He must have expected the team to acquire immediate help ("They’re not going to bring in Peyton Manning, or anything like that.") from a big ticket Free Agent?

He is one of our best players if not the best, which includes leadership.
    I think he is going about it the wrong way…we signed him for a lot of money because of his talents and leadership. He should be out there with the new guys instilling his knowledge. What if all the veterans took his actions and decided to skip the OTA’s? He thinks we sucks now.

I used to be a huge fan of his but lost a lot of respect for the guy because of his actions. Unfortunately, we need him because of his talent.
    It all starts up front

marcosMN is offline Star Spokesman

At least he's not pulling a T.O. and starting a crazy media circus.

He's doing things professionally. He is doing what is required and no less.

At least he's not holding out. It could be worse. Let's keep that in mind.
    -Sno

Freakout is offline Coordinator
    Blog Entries

If he wants improvement then his butt should be on the field.
    Whats that old saying, to be the best you gotta beat the best.
    Practicing against him will only accelerate our QB and WR's learning curve.

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    "PAvikesfan" wrote:

I know how he feels.
    Who's our crutch?
    T-Will has had an excellent offseason catching balls. Read the articles.
    He did last year too.

I've always liked Winfield as a player, but we don't need a cancerous attitude (no matter how right or wrong it is) on this team at this point in the season.
    He is definitely not showing the intensity or desire one would expect from a team leader.
    Frankly ever since we got rid of Culpepper, his BFF for calling him and asking him to sign here, he's been in a b*tchy attitude.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast