Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 97
  1. #11
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,266

    Re: Winfield won't be back until training camp

    [size=13pt]Vikings aren't worried about Winfield's absence[/size]

    By Eric Krupka on June 4, 2007 12:15 AM
    RealFootball365.com


    As most Minnesota Vikings fans and followers know, cornerback Antoine Winfield is reportedly displeased with the team's direction and his contract -- which are being deemed the reasons that he has been a no-show at early offseason functions...

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  2. #12
    cogitans is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    6,403

    Re: Winfield won't be back until training camp

    So, I think it's about time to make a status of this whole deal.

    Winfield turned up for the mandatory part as he were supposed to, and stated that he would be here for training camp. He also is not likely to take part of any of the other OTAs between now and then.

    He had a talk with coach Childress, where they apparently 'openly shared their views'. Childress is not happy that he has to go without Winfield, but he is by rule powerless to do anything about it.

    I take it from this that Winfield will play this season with the Vikings, disgruntled or not, but I probably wouldn't go out of my way to buy his jersey this season.

    Whether he has asked to get traded or not, I don't see it happening before next offseason at the earliest. He might have been started a path that will cause him to leave the team eventually, but we will see the production from him that we're used to this season. We'll just have to be happy when he makes those key tackles, and let the off field stuff play itself out.

    Thanks to PPE for the sig.

  3. #13
    Zeus's Avatar
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minnesota.
    Posts
    23,937

    Re: Winfield won't be back until training camp

    "cogitans" wrote:
    So, I think it's about time to make a status of this whole deal.

    Winfield turned up for the mandatory part as he were supposed to, and stated that he would be here for training camp. He also is not likely to take part of any of the other OTAs between now and then.

    He had a talk with coach Childress, where they apparently 'openly shared their views'. Childress is not happy that he has to go without Winfield, but he is by rule powerless to do anything about it.

    I take it from this that Winfield will play this season with the Vikings, disgruntled or not, but I probably wouldn't go out of my way to buy his jersey this season.

    Whether he has asked to get traded or not, I don't see it happening before next offseason at the earliest. He might have been started a path that will cause him to leave the team eventually, but we will see the production from him that we're used to this season. We'll just have to be happy when he makes those key tackles, and let the off field stuff play itself out.
    The best player on the team is unhappy and, rather than go to the press and make waves (which is what it seems some are believing he is doing) he shows up for the mandatory activities, keeps his comments brief and does his job.
    And he says he'll show up for training camp.

    Honestly, I think he's handling his displeasure about as maturely and professionally as any NFL player I've seen in similar situations.

    And I already have his jersey and will wear it proudly.

    =Z=

    Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

  4. #14
    cogitans is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    6,403

    Re: Winfield won't be back until training camp

    "Zeus" wrote:
    "cogitans" wrote:
    So, I think it's about time to make a status of this whole deal.

    Winfield turned up for the mandatory part as he were supposed to, and stated that he would be here for training camp. He also is not likely to take part of any of the other OTAs between now and then.

    He had a talk with coach Childress, where they apparently 'openly shared their views'. Childress is not happy that he has to go without Winfield, but he is by rule powerless to do anything about it.

    I take it from this that Winfield will play this season with the Vikings, disgruntled or not, but I probably wouldn't go out of my way to buy his jersey this season.

    Whether he has asked to get traded or not, I don't see it happening before next offseason at the earliest. He might have been started a path that will cause him to leave the team eventually, but we will see the production from him that we're used to this season. We'll just have to be happy when he makes those key tackles, and let the off field stuff play itself out.
    The best player on the team is unhappy and, rather than go to the press and make waves (which is what it seems some are believing he is doing) he shows up for the mandatory activities, keeps his comments brief and does his job.
    And he says he'll show up for training camp.

    Honestly, I think he's handling his displeasure about as maturely and professionally as any NFL player I've seen in similar situations.

    And I already have his jersey and will wear it proudly.

    =Z=
    I agree with you completely. I have the utmost respect for how everyone have handled this 'situation' whatever the reason for his displeasure is.

    Had I had a Winfield jersey I would have worn it proudly too. The comment I made about not buying were merely in relation to, that I'm not sure that he'll be staying on the team for many seasons.

    Thanks to PPE for the sig.

  5. #15
    Zeus's Avatar
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minnesota.
    Posts
    23,937

    Re: Winfield won't be back until training camp

    "cogitans" wrote:
    Had I had a Winfield jersey I would have worn it proudly too. The comment I made about not buying were merely in relation to, that I'm not sure that he'll be staying on the team for many seasons.
    Yeah, I know.
    Players come and go, for sure.
    My loyalty is with the team.

    =Z=

    Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

  6. #16
    vike4eva is offline Waterboy
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6

    Re: Winfield won't be back until training camp

    Well said Cogitans, like you my loyalty is with the team and whilst I think AW is a good player if his heart and head aren't right why put him in the team? He will be defualt drag the other players down and there are already a lot of players who are both young and inexperienced and have enough on their plates without having to look ove their shoulder to see if the veterans are being kept happy.

    AW should remember what it was like to be a rookie and I'm sure some of his early team mates questioned his ability and attitude but they kept it to themselves and probably even helped him out.
    That's where he should be and like I say if he can't do it then be up front and go.

  7. #17
    BBQ Platypus's Avatar
    BBQ Platypus is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Saint Paul, MN
    Posts
    3,027

    Re: Winfield won't be back until training camp

    "vike4eva" wrote:
    Well said Cogitans, like you my loyalty is with the team and whilst I think AW is a good player if his heart and head aren't right why put him in the team? He will be defualt drag the other players down and there are already a lot of players who are both young and inexperienced and have enough on their plates without having to look ove their shoulder to see if the veterans are being kept happy.

    AW should remember what it was like to be a rookie and I'm sure some of his early team mates questioned his ability and attitude but they kept it to themselves and probably even helped him out.
    That's where he should be and like I say if he can't do it then be up front and go.
    I don't think it's possible for the Vikings to be dragged down any further than they already have been.
    I've noticed that virtually nobody here has contested the truth of
    Winfield's statements.
    This is precisely because his grievances are completely valid.
    Reading the "Winfield has seen enough" article really drove home the disappointing lack of activity this offseason.

    The Vikings had more salary-cap room than nearly every team heading into this offseason, and now they have a league high in space after acquiring younger, unproven players such as Shiancoe and Wade, instead of available veterans such as tight ends Daniel Graham or Randy McMichael and receivers Drew Bennett, Donte Stallworth, Joe Horn or even Ashley Lelie (the Vikings did try hard to sign Kevin Curtis, who ended up with the Philadelphia Eagles).

    The Vikings also never mounted a serious push to address another glaring need - a speedy pass rusher - by passing on Patrick Kerney.
    Given a team with as much salary cap room (and as many position holes) as the Vikings, you'd think Brad, Wilf, & the gang would be scrambling furiously to fill as many of these holes as possible with proven talent - particularly at wide receiver.
    But the lack of results shows that they apparently "the system" (which worked so spectacularly last year : ) is enough.
    Bullshit.
    You need capable players - ones who have actually played more than 18 downs in their professional careers - to win games.
    Granted, you can build around young talent, but without veterans, who are they going to learn from?
    You can sign at least ONE veteran without disrupting your MASTER PLAN FOR THE FUTURE (cue majestic trumpets).
    Even if they had signed only ONE high-impact receiver, it would have been an improvement after what we have now.
    It's not like all of the people they passed on were over the hill.

    Maybe I'm being unfair.
    Maybe they actually DID actively try to sign some of those players (no, just thinking about it isn't enough).
    Perhaps they wanted to, but couldn't.
    Woulda, coulda, shoulda, DIDN'T.
    When you have bajillions of extra dollars to throw around, there are bound to be a few players interested in getting on board.
    Since it certainly wasn't a lack of money that kept them from actually making a few improvements this year, it must be assumed that the Vikings front office was either incompetent or indifferent.
    Honestly, I think it's MORE than a little of both.


    "This is my timey-wimey detector. It goes ding when there's stuff."

  8. #18
    cajunvike's Avatar
    cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    32,063

    Re: Winfield won't be back until training camp

    He probably wants to sell out for a ring with the Patsies like the rest of the guns-for-hire!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

  9. #19
    Billy Boy is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,426

    Re: Winfield won't be back until training camp

    "BBQ" wrote:

    Maybe I'm being unfair.
    Maybe they actually DID actively try to sign some of those players (no, just thinking about it isn't enough).
    Perhaps they wanted to, but couldn't.
    Woulda, coulda, shoulda, DIDN'T.
    When you have bajillions of extra dollars to throw around, there are bound to be a few players interested in getting on board.
    Since it certainly wasn't a lack of money that kept them from actually making a few improvements this year, it must be assumed that the Vikings front office was either incompetent or indifferent.
    Honestly, I think it's MORE than a little of both.
    Ah yes wouldn't it have been nice.
    Unfortunately if we would have signed those overpriced players then Winfield would probably whine about how hes getting under payed while lesser players are getting more simply because we had the cap room to throw money around.
    As we saw last year this organization is not against paying players or bringing in FA's.
    One low level offseason does not suggest we should jump viking ship or even stop swabbing the deck.

    In the end Chilly used his fox like cunning and had a private meeting with Winfield and smooth out all the bumps, for another season at least.


    All the kids my age pee their pants, it's the coolest.

  10. #20
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,602
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Winfield won't be back until training camp

    "BBQ" wrote:
    Given a team with as much salary cap room (and as many position holes) as the Vikings, you'd think Brad, Wilf, & the gang would be scrambling furiously to fill as many of these holes as possible with proven talent - particularly at wide receiver.
    This year's "proven" talent, especially in the position of WR, would barely be considered mediocre in any other year of free agency.
    Donte Stallworth?
    Drew Bennett? Not bad players, but certainly not people you should be willing to break the bank over.

    I am content to bring in your players that can grow with the system.
    I want a team that is a force in the NFL for years, not just a one year wonder.

    And you can't argue that spending big money on free agents is the way to build a winning team, when Washington does exactly that every year and finished with a worse record than us last season.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. (MERGED) the week we should bring winfield back
    By ultravikingfan in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-26-2009, 06:54 PM
  2. The Boys Are Back in Town (Training Camp)
    By cogitans in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-25-2008, 12:12 AM
  3. Training Camp - Breathlessly back at it 08/06/07
    By singersp in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-07-2007, 06:16 AM
  4. Did winfield try to come back to soon?
    By dan3ski in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-02-2005, 07:59 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •