Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    NDVikingFan66 is offline Team Alumni

Re: Winfield won't be back until training camp

I am confused......can someone summarize.....

I should not read PPO and drink

tb04512 is offline Team Alumni

"NDVikingFan66" wrote:

Winfield is not happy with the offense, he said "its not like they brought in Peyton Manning" He is not coming to the OTA's but he will be here for the Mandatory stuff, he says he can train on his own, that the defense is the same so its no big deal, and that he knows what he needs to do to be in shape for the season

Thanks josdin00

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"tb04512" wrote:
    "NDVikingFan66" wrote:

Winfield is not happy with the offense, he said "its not like they brought in Peyton Manning" He is not coming to the OTA's but he will be here for the Mandatory stuff, he says he can train on his own, that the defense is the same so its no big deal, and that he knows what he needs to do to be in shape for the season
    His statements have been non-controversial (no matter how upset some have gotten here in PPO) and every comment by a fellow player has been in the "No big deal" gist.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Zeus" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:

I wonder if he has another wedding to go this week, since AGAIN he is quietly staying away from the VOLUNTARY OTAs.

=Z=
    Quitely? He drops a big bomb on the team & to the press, stating he's seen enough of the team to know they are not going anywhere & won't finish much or do any better than last year, then leaves stating he won't be back until training camp? Spurring several articles about it.

Is that your idea of quiet?
    Show me those quotes rather than paraphrasing in your own language, please.

Because I've re-read every single TRUE quote from AW today, and not one of them says the things you said above.

I'll wait here.

=Z=

More than ever, Winfield appears skeptical of the team’s potential for immediate success. Nothing he saw during mini-camp changed his mind.

“I don’t think anything is going to change,” Winfield said. ”They’re not going to bring in Peyton Manning or anything like that. The scenery is not going to change.”

Asked if the camp reinforced his opinion of the state of the team, Winfield said: “Pretty much.”

There was another quote in probably one of the OTA or mini camp threads where he said something to the effect of "I just don't see us improving much over last year".

I just can't find it now. It sticks in my mind because the writer then started talking about our 6-10 trecord last year.

http://www.startribune.com/blogs/vikings/
    A tad unfair to post the Manning quote w/out the immediate follow-up, isn't it?

After the Manning mention, Winfield made clear that he believes in quarterback Tarvaris Jackson.

"I always did," Winfield said. "I thought he has the skills to play at this level. He has a great arm. He's definitely picking up on his offense a lot better, getting the ball out of his hands fast, going through his reads. I definitely have a lot of confidence in him."

But Winfield expressed concern about Jackson's inexperience, as well as that of many other key offensive players.
    So, he makes a remark which alludes mostly to the inexperience of the QB, and then praises the QB for having the skills to succeed.

Again - what's the big bomb?

=Z=

Here's another one;

Three minutes later, cornerback Antoine Winfield stood quietly off to the side, sounding as skeptical as ever about the team's potential for significant improvement over last season's 6-10 record. He said that he will skip the remainder of the Vikings' offseason program, apparently disappointed with their prospects for 2007.

"I don't think anything is going to change," he said.

The dichotomy of post-practice scenes provides a telling window into the organization as summer approaches.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

"Zeus" wrote:
    "tb04512" wrote:
    "NDVikingFan66" wrote:

His statements have been non-controversial (no matter how upset some have gotten here in PPO) and every comment by a fellow player has been in the "No big deal" gist.
    Just as a quick point of contrast:

Here's what Dolphins DL Vonnie Holliday said about their first-round draft pick, Ted Ginn:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/michael_silver/06/07/ginn.dolphins/index.html

The Dolphins, who finally completed the long-awaited trade for almost-37-year-old Trent Green on Tuesday, clearly needed a quarterback for the future. Instead, they picked a guy who ... well, let veteran defensive tackle Vonnie Holliday tell it: "With the ninth pick they took a guy who is basically a kick returner -- a hurt kick returner. Here were are in June, and he hasn't been in camp yet. Maybe he'll come in eventually and become a better route-runner and make some plays. But I couldn't believe it then, and I can't believe it now."
    NOTHING Winfield has said is even in the same hemisphere as what Holliday said.

=Z=

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Zeus" wrote:

The Dolphins, who finally completed the long-awaited trade for almost-37-year-old Trent Green on Tuesday, clearly needed a quarterback for the future. Instead, they picked a guy who ... well, let veteran defensive tackle Vonnie Holliday tell it: "With the ninth pick they took a guy who is basically a kick returner -- a hurt kick returner. Here were are in June, and he hasn't been in camp yet. Maybe he'll come in eventually and become a better route-runner and make some plays. But I couldn't believe it then, and I can't believe it now."

=Z=
    But to be fair, the situation that Holliday and Miami are in a completely different situation than Winfield and Minnesota are.
    You can bet that if Coach Childress whiffed with the first round pick the way Miami did, pretty much everybody would feel that Winfield is justified.

But we didn't.
    In fact, we had an incredible draft.
    So the comparison doesn't really work for me.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:

But to be fair, the situation that Holliday and Miami are in a completely different situation than Winfield and Minnesota are.
    You can bet that if Coach Childress whiffed with the first round pick the way Miami did, pretty much everybody would feel that Winfield is justified.

But we didn't.
    In fact, we had an incredible draft.
    So the comparison doesn't really work for me.
    I think it's a fair comparison.
    You're attempting to equate the subject of the discussions, while the point I'm making is more along the lines of veteran players speaking out about the direction of their team, regardless of the subject.

=Z=

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910