Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Winfield prefers being positioned inside in slot

Putting him on the inside also puts him closer to the action, maybe he'll break 100 tackles this season

Where ever he's most comfortable, and believes he'll produce the most I say we put him there. He's a talented veteran who's shown nothing, but great play for us. I say we listen to him and play him where he believes he should played.

We're way more talented in the secondary than we're given credit for.
    Griffin, McCauley, Sharper, Winfield, Williams, and Johnson are all ridiculous athletes.

I believe McCauley will break the learning curve this year and really standout.

If Griffin can remain focused and not get lazy on some coverages and tackles he'll be pretty damn good, however, I think that is the responsibility of coaching and on field leadership.

Madieu Williams shouldn't have any problem adapting to the cover 2, it's really quite simple for the safeties.

And Tyrell Johnson has all the ability in the world, we have a potential All-Pro safety in this kid, hopefully he develops into an awesome player. And there's no reason he should not.

Look at what the Ravens have made out of their defensive draft picks. Good athletes come into a great defense with strong leadership and coaching and come out all-pro.

I've mentioned leadership a few times, and with the acquisition of Jared Allen I believe our defensive leadership will be very strong. That defensive line not only has 3 of our best players on it, but 3 of the best players in the NFL. Even if none of them are big time vocal leaders, there is no better unit to lead-by-example.

So with all of our talent and leadership we should be looking at some tremendous depth in the secondary as well as defensive line. The only area of concern, in terms of depth, that I have is in the linebackers.

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

"C" wrote:
    "VikingsTw" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    Again... because he has no coverage skills. He's a tackler... and a gol 'darnit good one.
    I would argue that and consider it a major overstatement direct toward his coverage. Granted Winfield isn't Champ Bailey he's a good cover corner. I think this year is extremely exiting because for the first time in a long while our CB's should have some pass rush to work with. Being a Vikings fan the past decade I've had the opportunity to watch our corners get torched when the QB has ample time to pass the ball and regardless of who the CB's are they are gonna be unsucesful in there attempts to defend that long.

I think for the first time for exept maybe his rookie season Winfield will have a good pass rush to match what he can do, personally Winfield is one of many players I want to see quiet the coverage critics. Big season for him as long as he can stay healthy I expect him to finally get the Pro Bowl vallet that he has deserved in previous seasons.
    I hope your right... however, you're stance relies on a lot of "if's"

I'm just saying, he hasn't been good in coverage for the past couple of years.

We'll see what happens.
    I thank I am and your right we'll see. There are some "if's" involved but when it comes to Jared Allen getting to the QB along with the rest of DLine, I think those if's disapear and exactly what the rest of defense needs.

I can invision Wifield on a team thats gets great pressure in a cover two where he is aloud to play the game in front of him. I think he gets more INT's and possibly a couple TD's.

Pass rush effectd all the guys in the secondary and the LB's. This means opening up opportunities not only for Winfield but everyone thats off the line of scrimage.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"VikingsTw" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    Again... because he has no coverage skills. He's a tackler... and a gol 'darnit good one.
    I would argue that and consider it a major overstatement direct toward his coverage. Granted Winfield isn't Champ Bailey he's a good cover corner. I think this year is extremely exiting because for the first time in a long while our CB's should have some pass rush to work with. Being a Vikings fan the past decade I've had the opportunity to watch our corners get torched when the QB has ample time to pass the ball and regardless of who the CB's are they are gonna be unsucesful in there attempts to defend that long.

I think for the first time for exept maybe his rookie season Winfield will have a good pass rush to match what he can do, personally Winfield is one of many players I want to see quiet the coverage critics. Big season for him as long as he can stay healthy I expect him to finally get the Pro Bowl vallet that he has deserved in previous seasons.
    I still remember the bears game where he fell down and let up a TD to either Muhammid or Berrian.

Anyway, Winfield may be good in the slot, maybe not.
    He is not a good enough in pass coverage to stick with guys like Welker.
    On the outside, all he has to do is bump the reciever, then cover the flat, which he is pretty good at.
    But really, the thing I don't like about it is having McCauley on the outside.
    I don't want to hear about how some of you think he might possibly have a chance at being good when is 85 degrees out and the sun isn't in his eyes, and has Chad Pennington throwing it deep to his reciever.
    He is not good enough yet, and probably won't be this year right away either.
    For now, i'd rather keep the proven guy on the outside, and let the inexperienced guys play in the slot, where there's more help from the LB's/S's.

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

We have a corner to loves to blitz and tackle running backs! He doesn't fit the scheme at all! He is old! Release him!

Griffin and McCauley are much better in coverage! They are young! That makes Winfield very replacable!
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

"V" wrote:
    We have a corner to loves to blitz and tackle running backs! He doesn't fit the scheme at all! He is old! Release him!

Griffin and McCauley are much better in coverage! They are young! That makes Winfield very replacable!
    I realize you're being sarcastic... I think....

But you certainly did express my thoughts in your first sentence. We can use him more for blitzing and tackling, like almost a CB/Safety position...

I don't know... I'm an idiot.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"C" wrote:
    "V" wrote:

But you certainly did express my thoughts in your first sentence. We can use him more for blitzing and tackling, like almost a CB/Safety position...

and it finally comes out..... just kiddin...

but, iMO, winfield is a much better cover corner than a) some give him credit for, and b) McCauley.
    Sure McCauley may have better speed and he might possibly have a chance at being a better cover corner when is 85 degrees out and the sun isn't in his eyes, and has Chad Pennington throwing it deep to his reciever than Winfield, but now, he isn't.

Just wanted to put some stats to what people are voicing here.
    Basically, Winfield is a good (but not great) cover corner and elite when it comes to stopping the run.
    I'm getting my stats from the book 'Pro Football Prospectus,' so I can't post a link.

With respect to the running game, opposing teams averaged 2.6 yards on running plays when Winfield made the tackle.
    That was second among all NFL corners and compares very favorably to Griffin (5.9 yards) and McCauley (10.5 yards).
    They show stats for stops as well, which refer to preventing big gains on first or second down or giving up first downs on third or fourth down.
    Winfield's tackles in the running game were stops 84% of the time, which was also second among NFL corners.

In the passing game, Winfield came up with stops on 52% of the balls thrown towards him.
    That ranked 30th among corners.
    The best corners were around 60% in that category, while Griffin (39%) and McCauley (41%) were not so good.
    Winfield gave up an average of 6.2 yards on pass plays targeted toward him, which ranked 16th among corners.
    Griffin (9.7) and McCauley (8.5) also struggled here.

Based on these statistics, it looks like Winfield is a solid #1 corner in the passing game, but he's certainly not at a Pro Bowl level.
    He's as good as anybody at the position against the run, as we all pretty much knew.
    It's our second corner spot that is really weak, because neither Griffin nor McCauley have performed at the level of an average starting corner back.

Hopefully that improves this year.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

Potus2028 is offline Hall of Famer

"C" wrote:
    "V" wrote:

But if you think about it.. Are there any CB's that don't like to Blitz? Most secondary players would love a chance to get back at the QB or Run Blitz (see John Lynch).

So does that make him different that any other veteran player in the secondary?
    i m better than you, so just give up...

Potus2028 is offline Hall of Famer

"Overlord" wrote:
    Just wanted to put some stats to what people are voicing here.
    Basically, Winfield is a good (but not great) cover corner and elite when it comes to stopping the run.
    I'm getting my stats from the book 'Pro Football Prospectus,' so I can't post a link.

With respect to the running game, opposing teams averaged 2.6 yards on running plays when Winfield made the tackle.
    That was second among all NFL corners and compares very favorably to Griffin (5.9 yards) and McCauley (10.5 yards).
    They show stats for stops as well, which refer to preventing big gains on first or second down or giving up first downs on third or fourth down.
    Winfield's tackles in the running game were stops 84% of the time, which was also second among NFL corners.

In the passing game, Winfield came up with stops on 52% of the balls thrown towards him.
    That ranked 30th among corners.
    The best corners were around 60% in that category, while Griffin (39%) and McCauley (41%) were not so good.
    Winfield gave up an average of 6.2 yards on pass plays targeted toward him, which ranked 16th among corners.
    Griffin (9.7) and McCauley (8.5) also struggled here.

Based on these statistics, it looks like Winfield is a solid #1 corner in the passing game, but he's certainly not at a Pro Bowl level.
    He's as good as anybody at the position against the run, as we all pretty much knew.
    It's our second corner spot that is really weak, because neither Griffin nor McCauley have performed at the level of an average starting corner back.

Hopefully that improves this year.
    I couldn't agree more with you.

We can't lie and say he's a shutdown corner, because the stats just showed that he isn't. But we can't throw him under the bus, because the stat's say he's better than McCauley and Griffin.

All in all, I'd have to say he in a serviceable player who can groom McCauley and Griffin into legitimate 1 and 2 CB's for the next few years.
    i m better than you, so just give up...

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

"Potus2028" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    "V" wrote:

But if you think about it.. Are there any CB's that don't like to Blitz? Most secondary players would love a chance to get back at the QB or Run Blitz (see John Lynch).

So does that make him different that any other veteran player in the secondary?
    I must be a little confused... of course everyone WANTS to get to the QB, but they have to fit a certain role in our defensive scheme.

I don't care what he WANTS to do, I'm saying that because his strengths are his hits and his tackles, and his weakness is his coverage, let's put him in the slot and keep the offense guessing the whole game.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast