Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Winfield and the New Math

Here's my two newest Viking columns on RF365.

http://www.realfootball365.com/articles/nfl/14600

http://www.realfootball365.com/articles/nfl/14602

I can't wait to see Winfield jack someone up again.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Winfield and the New Math

Thanks Mike.
    Couple of very good reads.
    One comment though, you should revisit your comment that teams don't target Whinny.

In fact, since Griff has been playing better (starting with last year) teams have been going to that side more.
    At least thats my observation.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

You might be right, I'm just going from what I remember seeing last season. He's certainly not Nnamdi Asomugha or Champ Bailey when it comes to scarring off QBs, but from what I recall, Griff gets picked on a lot more. However, coming off an injury might change that.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Mike" wrote:
    You might be right, I'm just going from what I remember seeing last season. He's certainly not Nnamdi Asomugha or Champ Bailey when it comes to scarring off QBs, but from what I recall, Griff gets picked on a lot more. However, coming off an injury might change that.
    Champ Bailey might be the most overrated player in the NFL right now.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

"Mike" wrote:
    Ahhh, I see.

I'm a yutz of sorts.
    I love to take game notes during the game.
    You'd be suprised how many times Whinny and Griff have changed sides during the last couple of years.
    Seems Leslie likes to put Griff on the other teams top WR.

Course one could argue that my game notes are wrong cause I drink cheap beer.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"Marrdro" wrote:

I'm a yutz of sorts.
    I spent some time breaking down game film for a high school team a while back. It's a challenge when you can pause & rewind, I can't imagine doing it during a live game without that luxury. Especially with cheap beer.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

"Mike" wrote:
    I think that is the perception a lot of people had/have in concern with Griffin.
    Last year when all the announcers and this forum was constantly making this claim, a few of us rewatched the games and went through the logs and looked to see if this was really the case.
    It wasn't, it was actually fairly equal the passes/completions thrown and to either side.

What AW did a really good job of last year was make a couple big impact, game changing plays.
    AW is also a complete stud in run support, which is usually where his highlights come from.
    This is not to slight AW in any way, he is exactly what this defense calls for...however,
    I agree with Marrdro, that AW's cover abilities are pretty much on par with Griffin's.
    You'll also notice that quite often Griffin is lined up against the other team's #1.

I know you know this, but with our defense, it's imperative that the corners are aggressive run support guys with adequate coverage skills.
    This is why you'll see our cb's consistently on the top of the charts in tackles and no so much on the INT list.

I think this was the biggest dropoff we had when Paymah came in for AW.
    His run support was no where near Aw's or Ced's, leading to a lot of YAC and big plays.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    Course one could argue that my game notes are wrong cause I drink cheap beer.

Maybe if you took fewer notes you'd realize that not all booing is directed at the team.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Interesting points on Griff & Win. To clarify, I never thought Griffin wasn't good, I just think Win is the better of the two, all things considered.

"tastywaves" wrote:
    I think this was the biggest dropoff we had when Paymah came in for AW.
    His run support was no where near Aw's or Ced's, leading to a lot of YAC and big plays.
    From what I see of Paymah, his two issues are 1) not knowing where to be at all times and 2) poor tackling. I actually have far higher hopes for Asher Allen than I do for Paymah. Allen seems to have better instincts, he closes on the ball quicker and I've not once seen him fail to look for the ball when it was obvious the receiver was doing just that. Granted, I'm not an authority on the subject, just a guy with a passion for the position.

What do you think of Allen so far?

"Mike" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

I'm a yutz of sorts.
    I spent some time breaking down game film for a high school team a while back. It's a challenge when you can pause & rewind, I can't imagine doing it during a live game without that luxury. Especially with cheap beer.
    I would kill to get the opportunity to have access to "Game Tape".

Thinking big picture, I think that "Web Hosting of Game Tape" will be the next "Evolution" us fans see in our life time.

Truth be told, we aren't that far away from that now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast