Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Billy Boy is offline Hall of Famer

Re: Winfield has a change of heart.

"singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    Childress deferred comment on that to one of Winfield's agents, Ashanti Webb, who described an improved line of communication over the past few months between a coach still figuring out how to relate to his team and a player with an introverted personality.
    I hope Winfield set his jiggly butt straight on a few things........

Like listening to your players, especially the vets with years of experiences in the trenches.
    I am sure the head coach is now currently on the "Winfield" program and is marching to the CB's instructions.
    :
    I'm not saying he's telling him how to coach or do his job, but there are times players see things on the field & feel adjustments could be made & I think the coach should at least here them out. If you read my post I said "on a few things".

Childress doesn't do enough of that. There were issues about that last year by some of the players. Most notably Marcus Johnson & I believe Sharper.

"Several players -- most notably receiver Marcus Robinson -- criticized Childress for his inconsistent interaction with them last season. Robinson termed the situation "a total lack of communication" after Childress released him on Christmas Eve."

http://www.startribune.com/vikings/story/1250603.html

Interesting point Singer.
    Chili certainly is no Tice thats for sure (for better or worse).
    LOL.
    But..

I would think since Marcus Robinson was a leftover not fitting team needs Chili was not going to exhaust resources on him, among plenty of other things we don't know.

Asked if he thought the move was an isolated incident related to specific circumstances, Leber said: "I don't know. The way I look at it, I think it's an isolated incident. I don't know everything that went on between he and the coaching staff or whatever. I heard there were times when he was not suited up for games, but he was healthy to play. So I think there was more to it than what we know."
    Vikings: WR cut to give chance to others

Anyways, it seems like Chili is developing as a head coaching and becoming more comfortable as he goes.
    I am just glad Winfield is back with the family.
    No more running away Antoine.

All the kids my age pee their pants, it's the coolest.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    Childress deferred comment on that to one of Winfield's agents, Ashanti Webb, who described an improved line of communication over the past few months between a coach still figuring out how to relate to his team and a player with an introverted personality.
    I hope Winfield set his jiggly butt straight on a few things........

Like listening to your players, especially the vets with years of experiences in the trenches.
    I am sure the head coach is now currently on the "Winfield" program and is marching to the CB's instructions.
    :
    I'm not saying he's telling him how to coach or do his job, but there are times players see things on the field & feel adjustments could be made & I think the coach should at least here them out. If you read my post I said "on a few things".

Childress doesn't do enough of that. There were issues about that last year by some of the players. Most notably Marcus Johnson & I believe Sharper.

"Several players -- most notably receiver Marcus Robinson -- criticized Childress for his inconsistent interaction with them last season. Robinson termed the situation "a total lack of communication" after Childress released him on Christmas Eve."

http://www.startribune.com/vikings/story/1250603.html

I'm with ya, your post just caught me as off base a bit.

Mostly because everyone believes he doesn't listen or take input based on one year of watching him coach.
    I for one don't think he is the authoritarian type leader that he is portrayed as but rather had to take the hard line stance for not-so-obviouse reasons.

Last year he was in a tough spot.
    New owner, team full (a few at least) of misfits, front office issues etc etc etc.

During 22 years of military service I have inherited a few jobs like that.
    They guy in charge before me was a friend to all, had no sense of discipline, nor took the time to train the troops.
    End result, poor performance/reliability in executing thier mission, someone always in trouble with the command/law, no unity withing the troops etc etc etc......

Trust me when I tell you, when put in that situation a leader must quickly establish a chain of command (who's in charge), ground rules by which we will operate and sticking to them no matter how unpopular that might seem, is critical to re-establishing a foundation for success.

Guess what, a few of the sailors who liked the old way beeeyatched and moaned and even went over my head.
    Guess what, they either conformed or left my presence by doing meaningless jobs (cleaning heads/mess cooking) while the rest of the crew shaped up and become a good org.

Anyway, long story short, I just don't think we know what kindof leader B-chill will be based on just his first year on the job and comments about his hard line coaching stance and not listening to anyone are kindof unfounded/off the mark from reality really is IMHO based on how I see it and my past experiences.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Marrdro" wrote:

During 22 years of military service I have inherited a few jobs like that.
    They guy in charge before me was a friend to all, had no sense of discipline, nor took the time to train the troops.
    End result, poor performance/reliability in executing thier mission, someone always in trouble with the command/law, no unity withing the troops etc etc etc......

Trust me when I tell you, when put in that situation a leader must quickly establish a chain of command (who's in charge), ground rules by which we will operate and sticking to them no matter how unpopular that might seem, is critical to re-establishing a foundation for success.
    Les Steckel comes to mind when I read that.

"Marrdro" wrote:

Anyway, long story short, I just don't think we know what kindof leader B-chill will be based on just his first year on the job and comments about his hard line coaching stance and not listening to anyone are kindof unfounded/off the mark from reality really is IMHO based on how I see it and my past experiences.
    I agree you have to be firm & stick to your guns when the situation warrants it, but you also need to keep an open mind & listen to your players as well. After all, they are the ones in the trenches fighting the battle. Their suggestions might not always be the right ones, but some of the times they are. The coach, especially a new coach, should always listen to his players & have a good line of communication back & forth.

A prime example of that was in 2004, when either Winfield or Sharper went over Cotrells had & told Tice Cotrell's defenseive schemes were "handcuffing them" & were to complicated.

That's when Tice ripped some of the pages out of the defensive playbook & got more involved on the defensive side of the ball.

That was the turning point in our otherwise pretty much poor defense that year.

I believe Childress did come in as an authoritan last year & it was his way or the highway.

Not communicating with his players on a two way level like he should of IMO, might have been part of the problem with some of the players & the team chemistry.

It sounds like after chatting with Winfield now, he is starting to realize, communication is a two way street & he's going to be more open to listening to them. Whether he takes their advice or not is not so relevant anymore as long as the players know the lines of communication are open & the coach is willing to listen to them.

It's definitely a step in the right direction. New coaches need to learn along with everyone else.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

;D I've been compared to alot of people but never Les.
    Wonder if Quantico or his experience as a leatherneck had anything to do with his leadership style?

I agree you have to be firm & stick to your guns when the situation warrants it, but you also need to keep an open mind & listen to your players as well. After all, they are the ones in the trenches fighting the battle. Their suggestions might not always be the right ones, but some of the times they are. The coach, especially a new coach, should always listen to his players & have a good line of communication back & forth.
    And how do we know he wasn't doing that?

Because the local hacks/press said he wasn't?
    Or because a couple of malcontents said so?

Again, my whole point here is that there is a perception out there that he is a "My Way or the Highway" guy that he doesn't listen to his players which I believe is wrong basically because he took that hard line stance, not because he wanted to but because it was needed given the situation.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"Marrdro" wrote:
    Wonder if Quantico or his experience as a leatherneck had anything to do with his leadership style?
    I was refering to the military approach as it pertains to football coaches. Not you Marrdro.

"Marrdro" wrote:

And how do we know he wasn't doing that?

Because the local hacks/press said he wasn't?
    Or because a couple of malcontents said so?

Again, my whole point here is that there is a perception out there that he is a "My Way or the Highway" guy that he doesn't listen to his players which I believe is wrong basically because he took that hard line stance, not because he wanted to but because it was needed given the situation.
    There were more than just malecontents who were saying that. Other than Marcus Robinson, I believe Brad Johnson & Sharper did as well.

In an interview Sunday afternoon, Robinson said he and some other players have "a total lack of communication" with Childress, and said that offensive coaches rarely heed suggestions or other input from players. That sentiment corroborates a recent statement from quarterback Brad Johnson, who lost his starting job a day after saying he and Childress "never talk."

Cornerback Antoine Winfield and safety Darren Sharper also have criticized the team's direction, but as Robinson said, "They weren't cut, so I don't know why this would be different."

Robinson acknowledged that new coaches go through trial periods during which trust must be earned on both sides. But Robinson said Childress erred by not heeding suggestions that would have helped his offense merge with the team's personnel.

"We really didn't have a relationship whatsoever where we just talked back and forth," Robinson said. "That's not typical. Normally, head coaches make decisions and do certain things. But at least they talk to you. I mean, look at today. I'm a 10-year veteran being released a week before the season is over. I wasn't told a reason. I just got a phone call from (Spielman)."
    The link is not working, but it came from this thread;

http://www.purplepride.org/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=88888912&topic=301 59.msg514409#msg514409

Vikings players speak of communication issues;

"singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    I was refering to the military approach as it pertains to football coaches. Not you Marrdro.
    I know, that is why I put the smiley my friend.
    I always look for a chance at humor and levity.
    I am just bad at it.
    ;D

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234