Winfield Gone for up to 2-3 Weeks

An MRI done Monday has confirmed what Mike Tice feared -- a high ankle sprain that will sideline Antoine Winfield for Sunday and beyond.

With as ugly as the cornerback situation got after his injury, finding out Antoine Winfield will be on the bench for at least the next week and more likely two to three wasn't what the Vikings were hoping for.

VU has been told an MRI done Monday confirms at high ankle sprain, which typically takes two to three weeks to heal properly. Mike Tice pointed out that some players have returned after one week with similar injuries, but, when an ankle sprain hits a speed position like CB, it will likely take longer.

With all the injuries the Vikings have sustained this year, this one could be the most important to date -- even more damaging that losing Randy Moss for more than a month.

TUESDAY NOTES
    * Terrance Shaw will start in Winfield's place, with Derek Ross given another chance to keep his job. If he fails again Sunday, look for Rhett Nelson to get called up from the practice squad.
    * The Vikings announced that Matt Birk was named Vikings Man of the Year for the third straight season.
    * Moss didn't have any setbacks with his hamstring injury Sunday, but did suffer from tightness in his back -- a byproduct of missing so much conditioning time with shut down with the hammie.
    * Look for Chris Hovan to be activated Sunday after two weeks of being de-activated.

Not Good...hopefully he will be back for the playoffs if we make them

Sig Created by MinnesotaFury

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

I know this is a Winfield thread but, the last thing about HOVAN will be interesting to watch.

This is really gut check time for him. This is his last chance to prove to the coaches he can play. Personally, I think that he has given up but I hope I am wrong.

TIME FOR ROSS AND SHAW TO SHOW UP and PLAY

dan3ski is offline Coordinator

I still say the Vikings have had more than thier share of injuries this year, so I must continue to wonder about the commitment and conditioning of these players.
    can we clone Bud Grant?

TheAnimal93 is offline Team Alumni

having #26 out for that amount of time sucks. hopefully the backups are going to be ready. at least we will be at home, so the fans can help out the D with some noise.

poult is offline Asst. Coach

our best defense man goes down, so they are going to bring back the worst??? please let that hovan line just be a real bad rumor......
    "the only diffrence between suicide and martyrdom is the press coverage"
    Tender Branson

yeah i know, what do they tell Spencer.." Hey man we know you have moreave tackles than Hovan and have barely played, but were afraid Hovan has seniority rights." ??? I think one problem with Tice is that he is too much of a players coach...he keeps Hovan in there even though he sucks, he kept Bennett in there for a little even though he sucked...etc etc. Why not let the best man win, and give the team its best chance to win?

Sig Created by MinnesotaFury

Haneef87 is offline Rookie

Dont worry guys, i beleive that if the vikings want to win real bad and dont want to choke like last year, they have all the athletic ability this year, and its up to them on how bad they want it and how much they want to get prepared in practice this week. If EJ wants it so bad, He's damn well gonna wake up and start leading the defense like Urlacher,Lewis, Jaime Sharper, All Wilson and Teddy Bruschi are

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

Ej is in his second year, of playing MLB, hows he supposed to lead like ray lewis and jaime sharper? Maybe someday but no this sunday.