Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Winfield feels better about Vikings

"Ltrey" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    I am glad he is getting happier. Now lets get another vet to play opposite him.
    We already have one, well at least 3.

Griffin, McCauley, Gordon.

Lets not forget that they are in a system that lets recievers get yards.
    Thier job is to minimize the amount of yards they get by keeping the play in front of them and making a good tackle.

To date all three (even though they got burned a few times this year) have shown they can do that on a pretty consistent basis.
    Lets not forget how stingy this D is/was when it came to giving up scores.

I bet one or all 3 of these guys, when they have the time under fire Winfield has, will be as good as he is.
    I think that McCauley had a great fast start and so did Griffin, but Cedric took a step back this year and McCauley started to get picked on more and more as the season progressed.

They are all solid corners, but there is lots of room for improvement. I think that will come with time.

Indeed

I think the expectations for McCauley were wayyyyyyy too high.. He is a rookie and is pushed into the starting role and everyone expects him to play great

We don't have the most talented corners.. But I think he played okay.. for a rookie he did alright

And Griff.. I would have liked to see more picks.. But our secondary isn't going to get many picks with the system we run..

And he did seem lost at times.. I think he will work on his technique and will improve for next season

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

"Ltrey" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    I am glad he is getting happier. Now lets get another vet to play opposite him.
    We already have one, well at least 3.

Griffin, McCauley, Gordon.

Lets not forget that they are in a system that lets recievers get yards.
    Thier job is to minimize the amount of yards they get by keeping the play in front of them and making a good tackle.

To date all three (even though they got burned a few times this year) have shown they can do that on a pretty consistent basis.
    Lets not forget how stingy this D is/was when it came to giving up scores.

I bet one or all 3 of these guys, when they have the time under fire Winfield has, will be as good as he is.
    I think that McCauley had a great fast start and so did Griffin, but Cedric took a step back this year and McCauley started to get picked on more and more as the season progressed.

They are all solid corners, but there is lots of room for improvement. I think that will come with time.
    I don't think Griffin took a step back from this year at all. Last year he was seeing time as a nickleback and as the 2nd corner when he was replacing Smoot. This year he has seen time as the 2nd corner and as the first corner when Winfield got injured. He has had much tougher tasks in front of him all year long. Also, he wasn't exactly a shutdown corner last year either.

Next year will be decision time for Griffin. Teams will still attack him and he has to play well enough for teams to start going after him, if that makes sense.

I remember all the talk about McCauley covering the outside WR in nickle, allowing Winfield to cover the slot. Is that really such a good idea?
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

Too many of you guys have your purple glasses on. Griffen has done poorly this year. We all knew coming into this season he was going to be picked on. The biggest problem is not the yardage, it's the third and longs that we stayed on the feild. How many times have you seen our CBS out jumped but smaller WRs tha are not known to be leapers. Perharps the best example of this was last week. Moss jumped all over our McCAuley. Aginst the Eagles, Curtist looked like Randy out there. We also have Green BAY, and Oakland.

I think we will be better next year but We really shouldn't be praising how they performed this year. I would say Average.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"kevoncox" wrote:
    Too many of you guys have your purple glasses on. Griffen has done poorly this year. We all knew coming into this season he was going to be picked on. The biggest problem is not the yardage, it's the third and longs that we stayed on the feild. How many times have you seen our CBS out jumped but smaller WRs tha are not known to be leapers. Perharps the best example of this was last week. Moss jumped all over our McCAuley. Aginst the Eagles, Curtist looked like Randy out there. We also have Green BAY, and Oakland.

I think we will be better next year but We really shouldn't be praising how they performed this year. I would say Average.
    Although you make good points and they could have done better at times, considering the circumstances:

a.
    No pash rush.
    b.
    QB's had all day to pass on them.
    c.
    Schooled by Vet Recievers.
    d.
    Rookie on one side, 2 year man on the other and a Rookie undrafted FA playing Nickle/adding depth.....

I think they did a pretty good job. Take a look at how many times they got scored on.
    Some Vets out there gave up more points than these to gamers.

Long story short, they aren't seasoned vets and are gonna get schooled at times but they will be better for it next year my friend.
    ;D

Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

purplepowered is offline Pro-Bowler

"Marrdro" wrote:
    Very nice read my friend.

I like it when Vets act like Vets.
    Winfield will get healthy again, he will be back next year and our young group of CB will be better for the reps they got while he was down this year.

Win win for all.

;D
    What was even better about this year was when Pat Williams at the beggining of the season was P.O.'d about not getting his long term contract offered b4 the season started and said he wasnt going to resing with us and he did anyway Thanks Pat! Go WWC!
    I am THE #1 Sidney Rice #18 Fan ever! Don't Be surprised when this kid IS a superstar! He is humble, smart, tough, talented and has alot of character! Takes alot of pride in his work, team, fans and life. Watch out for this kid! I think he is awesome! Everytime he touches the ball its MAGIC!

Frostbite is offline Coach

Nice reads by posts in this thread. One thing I would like to add is this:

Look at all the passes thrown against us overall for the season. That's mainly what teams did all year. Take this into consideration and even our young DBs did a good job overall. They will get better...and this season was a great learning experience because they were thrown on so much over the course of the season.

Add to this all the blitzes we used that left these guys in man coverage and I am impressed with them so far.

Our run defense was also dominating in part because everyone was coming up and helping make tackles too. Mc Cauley and Griffin did an admirable job of helping out in the secondary and against the run by making key tackles when needed, as well as playing tough against the pass.

I think our pass defense will get even stronger if we can get a good pass rush without so many blitzes being used next season.

Cheers!
    Where is Frostbite Falls Minnesota?

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"Frostbite" wrote:
    Nice reads by posts in this thread. One thing I would like to add is this:

Look at all the passes thrown against us overall for the season. That's mainly what teams did all year. Take this into consideration and even our young DBs did a good job overall. They will get better...and this season was a great learning experience because they were thrown on so much over the course of the season.

Add to this all the blitzes we used that left these guys in man coverage and I am impressed with them so far.

Our run defense was also dominating in part because everyone was coming up and helping make tackles too. Mc Cauley and Griffin did an admirable job of helping out in the secondary and against the run by making key tackles when needed, as well as playing tough against the pass.

I think our pass defense will get even stronger if we can get a good pass rush without so many blitzes being used next season.

Cheers!
    Spot on.
    If it wasn't so early I would toast this post with a slug of barley pop.

Maybe that RDE is already on the roster.
    I have had a revelation and believe we will still get a vet but maybe Robison is the guy to add that pass rush.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12