Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Muggsy is offline Asst. Coach

Winfield criticizes defensive scheme

I didn't see this in the current posts. Sorry if it got double posted.
    ================================================
    Claims players are handcuffed by coaches

BY SEAN JENSEN

Pioneer Press

In the wake of another dismal performance on the road, Vikings starting cornerback Antoine Winfield questioned his team's defensive coaching staff and insisted a more aggressive approach was necessary.

"Some plays, guys are out of position. But it's the scheme too," Winfield said Monday, a day after a 38-13 loss at Carolina. "The coaches are handcuffing us. We played a lot of three-deep coverage, so we're going to give up a lot. We mix in some man (coverage). But we're putting eight in the box. We need to be more aggressive."

Informed of Winfield's criticism, Vikings defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell said: "Everybody has a level of frustration going on. We just need to keep working. Winning takes care of everything."

But the 2-5 Vikings have displayed a troubling trend this season, especially on the road. They have lost their four road games by an average of 25 points, with the opposing team scoring an average of 33 points.

"We need to go back to the drawing board," Winfield said, "work on the basics. We had communication problems out there.

"It just looks sloppy. I mean, it's not even fun."

Winfield said he was particularly frustrated that he embraced the approach last week in practice. But he added that the coaching staff strayed from the original game plan for Sunday's game against the Carolina Panthers.

"We were supposed to double 89," Winfield said of Panthers receiver Steve Smith. "That's all we practiced last week. Then when the calls came in Sunday, we didn't do that, except for two out of 70 plays. That's why he had 11 catches for 200-plus yards."

Cottrell disagreed with Winfield.

"We did do what we game-planned," Cottrell said. "We rolled up, we doubled and we changed our looks. There are some things going on. But we'll be all right."

Winfield noted that the defense has played well during stretches this season and that they have a lot of talent.

"We need to be more disciplined and in a position to make plays," Winfield said of his teammates. "But we need to take away what we need to take away. Make someone else beat us."

After Smith's dominant first half (seven catches, 153 yards, TD), Winfield also was upset that the coaches didn't make adjustments, something he said does not happen enough during the course of a game.

"That's a problem," he said. "It's like we go out there blind. Nothing happens on the sidelines, and they run the same plays over and over again."

Cottrell said he and his staff are constantly making adjustments.

"You have to keep in mind, you can't pull something from four weeks ago," Cottrell said. "You can only call things you worked on in practice. You don't want them to be uncomfortable with the adjustments you make."
    "From the fury of the Northmen, O Lord, save us!"
    -- From a monestary in Ireland.

Re: Winfield criticizes defensive scheme

Top five pick here we come!!! I just hope the good players don't demand to be traded after the season is done.
    You republican whore!

Prophet Guest

Take on the story from Mike Florio...

----------

WINFIELD LOOKING FOR A WAY OUT?
    1 Nov. 2005
    http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

Sean Jensen of The St. Paul Pioneer Press reports that Vikings cornerback Antoine Winfield openly has criticized the team's defensive schemes.

And based on the unusual structure of Winfield's contract with the team, our guess is that he's angling for a ticket out of the Twin Cities.

"Some plays, guys are out of position. But it's the scheme too," Winfield said. "The coaches are handcuffing us. We played a lot of three-deep coverage, so we're going to give up a lot. We mix in some man [coverage]. But we're putting eight in the box. We need to be more aggressive."

"We need to go back to the drawing board," Winfield said, "work on the basics. We had communication problems out there."

Winfield also questioned the game-day approach to covering Panthers receiver Steve Smith, who inflicted fifth-degree burns on the backside of Fred Smoot with a 200-yard receiving performance.

"We were supposed to double [Smith]," Winfield said. "That's all we practiced last week. Then when the calls came in Sunday, we didn't do that, except for two out of 70 plays. That's why he had 11 catches for 200-plus yards."

Defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell downplayed Winfield's words, but we think there's far more to it. When Winfield signed with the team in 2004, his cash came via an eight-figure roster bonus --and no signing bonus. As a result, the Vikes would take no acceleration by trading or releasing Winfield.

Though we doubt that Winfield is trying to get cut now (especially since he'd be required to clear waivers, given that the trade deadline has passed), our guess is that Winfield will be blowing the horn for a trade in the offseason.

Winfield is scheduled to earn $4.7 million in 2006, $4.9 million in 2007, $5.6 million in 2008, and $6 million in 2009.

So if he wants out, why would the team force him to stay? Besides, the money that he received up front was paid not by current owner Zygi Wilf, but by former owner Red McCombs. So if Minny could pick up a first-rounder for Winfield, it'd be hard not to let him walk. If he wants to walk.

And we think he does.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

People thought that he wanted to dome here and play for Teddy, sounds like that is no longer the case.

WTF is going on?

Why would they practice something all week and then totally not do it in the game? And the guy was torching them and they still didn't double him.

Del Rio said there would be fireworks and this is just the stat.

No one wants to be the scapegoat here. They all want to get paid next year.

Let the finger pointing begin!!

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Prophet" wrote:

Winfield also questioned the game-day approach to covering Panthers receiver Steve Smith, who inflicted fifth-degree burns on the backside of Fred Smoot with a 200-yard receiving performance.

"We were supposed to double [Smith]," Winfield said. "That's all we practiced last week. Then when the calls came in Sunday, we didn't do that, except for two out of 70 plays. That's why he had 11 catches for 200-plus yards."
    Gotta say it seems odd when you practice doubling up on a WR all week, then come gameday leave him in a one-on-one matchup even when it's clear that he is roasting the CB. Cottrell is supposed to be the DC and yet makes no changes or adjustments to counter a WR that is having a career day ??
    Either Cottrell is blind - possible, deaf - as you'd expect the assistants to notice this and tell him or there is something more going on that we're not party to.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

Del Rio Guest

I don't think he wants to walk. I think he is saying what I have been saying for over a year.

Ted Cottrell does not put his players in a position to succeed. That's why you flame Brian Russel, that's why Brian Williams gets flamed, that's why Corey Chavous gets flamed.....that is why you had two safties have huge numbers and then become non exsistant.

Ted Cottrell is a waste of space, and his players know it.

This is exactly what I was talking about a month ago when it was leaked that some of the players are confused with the Scheme, it was only a matter of time before someone snapped. I know for a fact the players talk about it amongst themselves. I predict Ted Cottrell will step down before the season ends.

I admire Winfield more now then I ever did. The scheme is horrible, and I agree with him it is handcuffing the players. You should try to make a scheme that feeds your players abilities. Not force a piss poor plan on your players. It breaks their morale it breaks their spirits, and it turns them against you.

You are the weakest link Ted Cottrell.....................goodbye.

PAvikesfan is offline Star Spokesman

I agree with Winfield Completely. it is time for the playewrs to question there coaches. smoot could not handle 89 by himself. it was very obvious by the second quarter. yet, nothing was done to correct it. cotrell along with the rest of the staff...minus special teams coach...are killing the players chances to make plays. winfield is a stand up guy. he is not blowing smoke here. the defense is lacking energy and carolina exposed our "let's use the same play over and over again" defense "and hope they don't figure it out".

cotrell is butt.

this coaching staff couldn't win games consistantly if they were coaching curling.

Del Rio Guest

AW is being a voice of reason.

"That's a problem," he said. "It's like we go out there blind. Nothing happens on the sidelines, and they run the same plays over and over again."

If you watch enough game film of the Vikings you begin to see exactly what he is saying is true.

Ted is trying to make his players conform to his schemes. He is so stubborn and so eager to show the world what "Ted" can do that his plans cannot falter.

He doesn't make adjustments. There is nothing wrong with his scheme in his mind. He needs better players that is the ANSWER. I fucking hate Ted Cottrell more then anyone on this team, more then Red Mcombs himself. Because he single handedly squandered and suffocated any potential we had this season.

He takes our best defensive lineman KWILL and puts him on the end WHAT THE F... I mean Tice even stated in his press conference Kwill plays better on the inside. Jesus. Tice should not of second guessed his argument with Cottrell on the sidelines against greenbay. You were right Tice, go with your gut. Take you god damned team back.

Move K-will to end, fail to install any form of stunts, any form of advanced blitzing packages, put your players on an island. Turn two pro bowl safties that excelled in doing what SAFTIES ARE meant to do into water boys......

Fuck!

excuse the rant but damn it, how many people on here have been saying the same shit for over a year.....a freaking year it has been obvious and why hasn't anything been done? I hope the owner cans this coaching staff before they lose players. That's my opinion right there.

I like the guys on the field they have talent each and everyone of them. I don't want to lose anymore. The owner is going to need to show he has the players best interests in mind and get them some real leadership on that sideline.

DEEP PURPLE is offline Starter

Its about time that someone on the D-Fence steps up and calls someone out on the staff. Ted Cotrell's "Schemes" could be picked apart by a special olympic team right now. These players arn't dumb especially Winfield. He's been on teams in Buffalo that were top notch D-Fences and he knows what is a good "Scheme" and what is a bad "Scheme" for different situations. I hope this sends a message to Wilf to put some pressure on the coching staff to get there heads together and with there accumulative 10 brain cells put something together that gives the team a chance, or someones head will roll before the season is done.
    If I hear Michelle Bonner say "He works that one to right" one more time, I m getting on a plane for Bristol, going to the ESPNEWS set, and ripping out her vocal cords.

thepacksux is offline Asst. Coach

amen del, they need to can the whole staff along with cottrell

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast