Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Winfield appears doubtful for Sunday

"BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "shockzilla" wrote:
    I for one (foolish as it may be) have faith in Chilly and the coaching staff to design schemes to help the defense weather the storm. It may call for extra help from players not normally put in certain situations, or not used to certain roles, but this team is good enough to make the necessary adjustments, I think. Go VIKES!!!!
    It's definitely a possibility.
    Paymeh did pretty will the first part of the game after replacing Winfield.
    Actually he made a few awesome plays.
    I'm probably overreacting on what the outcome will be with Winfield out, but on the same hand I just don't know if I can trust the coaches to fix the hole.
    They might fix that but what other huge gap does it leave?

I was pretty confident earlier in the week we could squeek out a close one...now I'm hopeful to just win period.
    I wouldn't be surprised to see us lose by a FG and I'd be even less surprised to see us lose by a TD or more.

This Pitt team can throw the ball, something which the Vikings have been pitiful at defending.
    Our only hope here is that we can get pressure on them and not allow Ben 5 seconds to find an open target.
    I'm pretty confidence our offense will find a way to put points on the board...question I have is can we stop them from reaching the end zone on a regular basis?
    +1

IMHO the part in red will have more to do with us winning the game than Winfield's presence will.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

Assuming he doesn't play, its going to be even tougher to stay perfect on Sunday
    We're bringing purple back.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"gregair13" wrote:
    Assuming he doesn't play, its going to be even tougher to stay perfect on Sunday
    I'm less concerned about missing him this game than I am for missing him against the packers.
    Sure, Roethlisberger leads the league in passing yards so far, but they are a big play passing team.
    They don't dink and dunk their way down the field.
    he's good at buying time and finding the open man, Our safeties need to step it up big time, but I'd rather see Winfield back for the packers than risk re-injuring himself this game.

Purple_Jesus is offline Starter

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "gregair13" wrote:
    I'm less concerned about missing him this game than I am for missing him against the packers.
    Sure, Roethlisberger leads the league in passing yards so far, but they are a big play passing team.

he's good at buying time and finding the open man, Our safeties need to step it up big time, but I'd rather see Winfield back for the packers than risk re-injuring himself this game.
    Even if we lose (knock on wood) We'll be 6-1.
    We have PLENTY of room for error at this point.

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

"Purple_Jesus" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "gregair13" wrote:

Yeah, that's probably the attitude we had back in '03.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

seaniemck7 is offline Hall of Famer

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "ChicagoSteel" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    Sure, they will probably attack the secondary early and often with Winfield being out.
    But that isn't the Steeler's strength, and I don't see them relying on it.
    And, in fact, passing is the Steelers' strength this year.

Ben's got two SB MVP WRs, a speedy rookie WR who will be matched on a nickel back, a very good pass catching TE in Miller, and Mendenhall out of the backfield.

I see a lot of misconceptions about Ben here, and can only assume that we have some people who play fantasy football and devalue Ben because of how Cowher and Tomlin, prior to this year, shut down the pass game in the 2nd half.

Ben has plenty of games on his resume where he lights it up early and then throws only a handful of times in the 2nd half.

This year, they're pretty much throwing whenever they want.
    Well, your assumption is wrong, at least in this case.

Ben has been doing great passing this year, but a large part of that has to do with him having all day to throw in the pocket.
    Given the DLs of the he has faced so far, that isn't surprising.
    If you are under the impression that Minnesota is going to let him sit in the pocket and avoid pressure long enough to find the downfield reciever, then you are going to be in for a surprise.

The best way to attack MNs secondary, especially with Winfield out, is with quick passes with YAC.
    Flaco has success in the 4th Q, and if you watch he was on 3 step drops almost exclusively, and still was throwing the ball under pressure most of the time.

Ben, while a great QB, is not that kind of passer.
    He excels buying extra time for his WRs to get open or past the safeties using speed.

It is going to be a good game, but anyone who thinks that either team is going to be able to impose their will on the other is fooling themselves.
    This is to what I was referring in my previous post. Ben is certainly good enough to run plays with a 3 step drop.
    These are the wrinkles I would be putting in if I were game planning against our D.
    Getting the ball to Holmes, Ward and Miller with quick outs, slants and seam routes I believe would find success against us.
    Screens to Mendy should generate yards as well due to our aggressive up field rush from the front 4.
    I hope Ben does try and extend plays with his legs and hold the ball.
    That is where the athleticism of Allen will shine chasing his ass down.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Anyone take into account that with Whinny sitting out, the cats who will replace him, will get reps with the ones and be prepped to play?

I am gonna go out on a limb here and give ole Leslie the benifit of the doubt (one more time) and think that he and the staff will have the S ready to play.
    (Toes, Fingers and eyes crossed).
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Marrdro" wrote:
    Anyone take into account that with Whinny sitting out, the cats who will replace him, will get reps with the ones and be prepped to play?

I am gonna go out on a limb here and give ole Leslie the benifit of the doubt (one more time) and think that he and the staff will have the S ready to play.
    (Toes, Fingers and eyes crossed).

;D
    Our S has been playing the same position all year, I doubt he'll magically get better in one week.
    however, I do think Paymah will get a bit more comfortable on the outside next week.
    Still not great, but a slight improvement.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

My guess is we lose this one, Winfield gets rested and ready for GB and the team gets pissed and focused after the loss and takes it out on GB by blowing them out in Lamblow.

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

"C" wrote:
    "Purple_Jesus" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "gregair13" wrote:

Yeah, that's probably the attitude we had back in '03.
    Never fear, that was a different year, Chilly wasn't head coach in '03.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast