Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 84
  1. #11
    kevoncox's Avatar
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,853

    Re: Winfield appears doubtful for Sunday

    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "CCthebest" wrote:
    Ive had a sprained foot a few times, playing soccer and football, and its 2 weeks to heal usually. Ben is going to pick our secondary apart like Brady did to us last year. Im betting 350 yards. Unless our safties learn how to play in a few days. So AD and Farve will have to have another HUGE game.
    Ben's not the kind of QB who picks apart defenses.
    usually he gets some big gains because he has an hour to throw the ball.
    If we can pressure him enough, we should be alright.
    I'd expect 300+ passing yards again, but that seems to be the average over the past 5 games anyway.
    You are a bit off. The guy makes time to throw the ball which is very dangerous. Looking back at the combo of T.Johnson and Paymeh has me scared. Both can be attributed for both o Rice's long TDs on sunday. We might be in trouble.

  2. #12
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,601
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Winfield appears doubtful for Sunday

    "seaniemck7" wrote:
    "echizen20" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "CCthebest" wrote:
    Ive had a sprained foot a few times, playing soccer and football, and its 2 weeks to heal usually. Ben is going to pick our secondary apart like Brady did to us last year. Im betting 350 yards. Unless our safties learn how to play in a few days. So AD and Farve will have to have another HUGE game.
    Ben's not the kind of QB who picks apart defenses.
    usually he gets some big gains because he has an hour to throw the ball.
    If we can pressure him enough, we should be alright.
    I'd expect 300+ passing yards again, but that seems to be the average over the past 5 games anyway.
    I think Ben will throw for 300+ yards.
    But I think that will be because they won't be able to run successfully against us and I see them playing catch up.
    Ben is no Peyton Manning or Drew Brees but he is still pretty good.
    However our front 4 will prove to be his biggest challenge for them thus far.
    It just seemed forever the time he got in the pocket against teams they previously played.
    Plus he does have pretty good receivers to get open and run after the catch.
    I do see Ben picking apart our secondary but it can totally go the other way around if our pass rush gets to him and forces errant throws.
    Either way, this will be a huge test for both sides.
    I am not sure I agree with your assesment.
    The Steeler offense is built much like the Ravens: tall strong QBs, Young, athletic, pass catching RBs who carry a load, and sound pass catching receivers.
    There isn't 1 person that you can necessarily game plan against.
    I would imagine that the Steelers have been watching film of our 4th quaters over the past 3-4 games and will devise an offensive game plan based how teams have attacked us like that.
    Man, I hope they do.


    Because the 4th quarters over the past 3-4 games have all been vastly different...
    With the Favens, we were up by three scores and went into a shell defense (although got very aggressive in the last drive).
    With the Rams we had all backups in because we were killing them (and continued to kill them).
    With the Packers we stayed in our standard sets and gave up a single long drive.

    I know people are getting their panties in a bunch over the 4th Q comeback by the Ravens, and some are trying to see patterns where there aren't any.
    Looking at the stats and worrying because we've given up a lot of 4th Q yards and points is looking at the stats without context.
    We have entered the 4th with a lead in every game this year.
    One good comback by what IMHO is a very good team shouldn't be enough to get people riled up.
    Baltimore and San Fran were the only two games where the outcome was actually in doubt.
    And those 4th Qs by our defense were very different.

    I think the Steelers are going to gameplan around their strengths more than any percieved weakness.
    Sure, they will probably attack the secondary early and often with Winfield being out.
    But that isn't the Steeler's strength, and I don't see them relying on it.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  3. #13
    BBQ Platypus's Avatar
    BBQ Platypus is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Saint Paul, MN
    Posts
    3,027

    Re: Winfield appears doubtful for Sunday

    This is just about the worst possible news we could have gotten.
    In a way, I'd prefer it if Peterson went down instead.
    We've got more depth there with Chester Taylor than we do at cornerback.
    If we lose this game, it'll be because our lack of depth and talent in the secondary will come to bite us in the jiggly butt.


    "This is my timey-wimey detector. It goes ding when there's stuff."

  4. #14
    ChicagoSteel is offline Training Camp
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    20

    Re: Winfield appears doubtful for Sunday

    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    Sure, they will probably attack the secondary early and often with Winfield being out.
    But that isn't the Steeler's strength, and I don't see them relying on it.
    And, in fact, passing is the Steelers' strength this year.
    Ben's got two SB MVP WRs, a speedy rookie WR who will be matched on a nickel back, a very good pass catching TE in Miller, and Mendenhall out of the backfield.


    I see a lot of misconceptions about Ben here, and can only assume that we have some people who play fantasy football and devalue Ben because of how Cowher and Tomlin, prior to this year, shut down the pass game in the 2nd half.
    Ben has plenty of games on his resume where he lights it up early and then throws only a handful of times in the 2nd half.


    This year, they're pretty much throwing whenever they want.

  5. #15
    BloodyHorns82's Avatar
    BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    9,691

    Re: Winfield appears doubtful for Sunday

    "ChicagoSteel" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    Sure, they will probably attack the secondary early and often with Winfield being out.
    But that isn't the Steeler's strength, and I don't see them relying on it.
    And, in fact, passing is the Steelers' strength this year.

    Ben's got two SB MVP WRs, a speedy rookie WR who will be matched on a nickel back, a very good pass catching TE in Miller, and Mendenhall out of the backfield.



    I see a lot of misconceptions about Ben here, and can only assume that we have some people who play fantasy football and devalue Ben because of how Cowher and Tomlin, prior to this year, shut down the pass game in the 2nd half.

    Ben has plenty of games on his resume where he lights it up early and then throws only a handful of times in the 2nd half.



    This year, they're pretty much throwing whenever they want.
    If Winfield is out, just go ahead and chalk this up as a W on your end.
    It won't even be a good game.

  6. #16
    soonerbornNbred is offline Pro-Bowler
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    357

    Re: Winfield appears doubtful for Sunday

    Ben leads the league in Passing....Our only hope is Brett steps up to the task at hand and outscores a
    powerful team on the road...Go toe to toe with them advantage Pitt only because there Def but if Brett pulls it off crown him King for the season

  7. #17
    tastywaves's Avatar
    tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,815

    Re: Winfield appears doubtful for Sunday

    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "ChicagoSteel" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    Sure, they will probably attack the secondary early and often with Winfield being out.
    But that isn't the Steeler's strength, and I don't see them relying on it.
    And, in fact, passing is the Steelers' strength this year.

    Ben's got two SB MVP WRs, a speedy rookie WR who will be matched on a nickel back, a very good pass catching TE in Miller, and Mendenhall out of the backfield.



    I see a lot of misconceptions about Ben here, and can only assume that we have some people who play fantasy football and devalue Ben because of how Cowher and Tomlin, prior to this year, shut down the pass game in the 2nd half.

    Ben has plenty of games on his resume where he lights it up early and then throws only a handful of times in the 2nd half.



    This year, they're pretty much throwing whenever they want.
    If Winfield is out, just go ahead and chalk this up as a W on your end.
    It won't even be a good game.
    I don't think its quite that bad.
    The Steelers have been far from dominate this year.
    Winfield is a huge hit for us, but we are averaging over 30 points a game this year and our defense will find a way to rise to the occassion.
    I do expect this game to be competitive throughout all 4 quarters especially since its in Pittsburgh.


    Another great weekend of football, can't wait.

  8. #18
    shockzilla's Avatar
    shockzilla is offline PPO Ambassador
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
    Posts
    6,204
    Blog Entries
    29

    Re: Winfield appears doubtful for Sunday

    I for one (foolish as it may be) have faith in Chilly and the coaching staff to design schemes to help the defense weather the storm. It may call for extra help from players not normally put in certain situations, or not used to certain roles, but this team is good enough to make the necessary adjustments, I think. Go VIKES!!!!
    PPO Ambassador, Defender of the Purple Faith and Guardian of the Gates of Valhalla

  9. #19
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,601
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Winfield appears doubtful for Sunday

    "ChicagoSteel" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    Sure, they will probably attack the secondary early and often with Winfield being out.
    But that isn't the Steeler's strength, and I don't see them relying on it.
    And, in fact, passing is the Steelers' strength this year.

    Ben's got two SB MVP WRs, a speedy rookie WR who will be matched on a nickel back, a very good pass catching TE in Miller, and Mendenhall out of the backfield.



    I see a lot of misconceptions about Ben here, and can only assume that we have some people who play fantasy football and devalue Ben because of how Cowher and Tomlin, prior to this year, shut down the pass game in the 2nd half.

    Ben has plenty of games on his resume where he lights it up early and then throws only a handful of times in the 2nd half.



    This year, they're pretty much throwing whenever they want.
    Well, your assumption is wrong, at least in this case.


    Ben has been doing great passing this year, but a large part of that has to do with him having all day to throw in the pocket.
    Given the DLs of the he has faced so far, that isn't surprising.
    If you are under the impression that Minnesota is going to let him sit in the pocket and avoid pressure long enough to find the downfield reciever, then you are going to be in for a surprise.

    The best way to attack MNs secondary, especially with Winfield out, is with quick passes with YAC.
    Flaco has success in the 4th Q, and if you watch he was on 3 step drops almost exclusively, and still was throwing the ball under pressure most of the time.
    Ben, while a great QB, is not that kind of passer.
    He excels buying extra time for his WRs to get open or past the safeties using speed.

    It is going to be a good game, but anyone who thinks that either team is going to be able to impose their will on the other is fooling themselves.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  10. #20
    BloodyHorns82's Avatar
    BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    9,691

    Re: Winfield appears doubtful for Sunday

    "shockzilla" wrote:
    I for one (foolish as it may be) have faith in Chilly and the coaching staff to design schemes to help the defense weather the storm. It may call for extra help from players not normally put in certain situations, or not used to certain roles, but this team is good enough to make the necessary adjustments, I think. Go VIKES!!!!
    It's definitely a possibility.
    Paymeh did pretty will the first part of the game after replacing Winfield.
    Actually he made a few awesome plays.
    I'm probably overreacting on what the outcome will be with Winfield out, but on the same hand I just don't know if I can trust the coaches to fix the hole.
    They might fix that but what other huge gap does it leave?

    I was pretty confident earlier in the week we could squeek out a close one...now I'm hopeful to just win period.
    I wouldn't be surprised to see us lose by a FG and I'd be even less surprised to see us lose by a TD or more.

    This Pitt team can throw the ball, something which the Vikings have been pitiful at defending.
    Our only hope here is that we can get pressure on them and not allow Ben 5 seconds to find an open target.

    I'm pretty confidence our offense will find a way to put points on the board...question I have is can we stop them from reaching the end zone on a regular basis?

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 304
    Last Post: 07-20-2009, 09:01 PM
  2. Madieu Williams & Jared Allen Doubtful Vs Bucs
    By V4L in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 11-16-2008, 11:43 AM
  3. Replies: 44
    Last Post: 12-22-2007, 06:49 AM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-09-2006, 09:18 AM
  5. Shawn Springs and Portis doubtful for Monday Night
    By Mr Anderson in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-07-2006, 06:19 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •