Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winfield

Winfield

Is it me or is he not playing the deep ball well at all. Yesterday I saw him get roasted again for a bomb. I know hes pretty good at run support and he is a great tackler, but it seems to me he is not that great of a cover corner. He can't be getting smoked like that!

Sig Created by MinnesotaFury

dan3ski is offline Coordinator

Winfield

Even the best cover men will get smoked if the linemen can not get to th other teams qb! Grossman was forced out of the pocket alot and he bought time all game long. Hmmmmm maybe the line needs to pratice tackling.
    can we clone Bud Grant?

Del Rio Guest

Winfield

He got played. He was beat a few times deep. And not barely, one time he turned his head out instead of in and it cost him.

That's got to be one of the hardest positions to play and he is the best we have which isn't saying much. I did like the fact that they played less cushion.

Maybe he was rusty from playing 99 yards off of his recievers and wasn't used to chasing them from behind.

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

Re: Winfield

"ADubya26" wrote:
    Is it me or is he not playing the deep ball well at all. Yesterday I saw him get roasted again for a bomb. I know hes pretty good at run support and he is a great tackler, but it seems to me he is not that great of a cover corner. He can't be getting smoked like that!

You call that being roasted?? He was right there with the guy, and the ball was put in an absolute perfect spot for the completion. He is always around the WR he is covering, something we haven't had in a CB for a long time. He was a half a second late on the play before, or he would have had a reception.

When I think of a CB being roasted, I think of all our crappy CB's of the past, running 5 yards behind the opponents WR's.

I think winfield has done an excellent job the past 2 games, now that cottrell isn't playing him off the WR so far, like he was in week 1. He was right there with the deep ball to TO, and actually caused him to bobble it. I can't think of any play were he was roasted.

Del Rio Guest

Winfield

Being 2 yards behind the reciever in this league can = roasted. And even if you are in the area that doesn't mean anything if you don't make a play on the ball.

But he did do a good job. But he was playing against Grossman. Very glad we have him.

Our Db's played good ball though I thought. They had a few interception chances but dropped them.

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

Winfield

"Del Rio" wrote:
    Being 2 yards behind the reciever in this league can = roasted. And even if you are in the area that doesn't mean anything if you don't make a play on the ball.

But he did do a good job. But he was playing against Grossman. Very glad we have him.

Our Db's played good ball though I thought. They had a few interception chances but dropped them.

As long as a CB is next to the WR when the ball gets there, then he wasn't roasted. Otherwise you would say deion sanders was roasted all the time in his prime, yet he closed on the ball and WR and was always by the WR when the ball got there.

Also winfield did make a play on the ball, it was just put in a perfect spot for the reception.

I don't understand how everyone expects the guy to be absolutely perfect on every damn play!

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

Winfield

Winfield is a good football player, we cant expect him to be a godess. He is a great tackler for 180 pounds, a great tackler he wraps ups and the defender goes nowhere. Hes a good cover corner to. You cant say he got smoked in the bears came cause that ball was a prayer that was threw perfect. The TO things was similair he just went for the ball to early. He has not been smoked for a long TD this year. All i know is hes better than anything we've had for awhile, hes an alaround CB.

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

Winfield

Agreed muchlove, thats exactly the way i feal about it.

Del Rio Guest

Winfield

No one expects him to be perfect. I think he is a great player. But you get caught on you didn't do your job.

Get so damn touchy over things. The announcer said it best when I noted that Winfield got long passes caught on him BACK TO BACK and he then said "And he is their best CB" Which basically said oh hell they suck.

Winfield is a great pickup for us. No doubt, the best we have at CB. We are a better team by having him.

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

Winfield

Winfield hasn't really been burned in the two games I have seen, but his height is definitely a liability on deep routes. He was right there with TO, but the ball was thrown over him.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast