Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Willie Offord should start

Possibly. I guess we will just have to wait and see. In 7 years, CC has 354 tackles (50.4 per year) along with 83 assists, 17 INTs (2.3 per year) let's remember he had 8 on 2003, 32 pass deflections (4 per year) that's okay, and 2 forced fumbles. The stats that are impressive are the 8 INTs in 2003, again I think he's a good tackler and he's physical, and 32 pass deflections. He rarely blitzes (2 sacks). The only real impressive year he had is 2003. Other than that he hasn't really done a whole lot. I still like him and want him to stay but I can't see anyone paying him more than 1.9m. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think so.

Also as far as Sharper is concerned let's compare the two. Since 1998 Sharper has 456 tackles, 136 assists, 34 INTs, and 5 forced fumbles. Even last year he had better stats than CC and we can't use the hurt thing b/c Sharper played one less game and played on an even worse D

Del Rio Guest

:evil: damn double post.

Del Rio Guest

Well considering Chavous played his first four years with a cluster fuck of an Arizona Cardinals team I don't really give your stat comparison too much weight.

Looking at his last three years there hasn't been one in a Vikings uniform where he had less then 80 tackles. If he doesn't blitz it's not his call.

Yes injuries need to be compared. Because Sharper is always hurt. And always getting burned. You can't look at his number of games because the guy plays hurt. And he pays for it with poor play. I guarantee we need depth at this position.

Chavous had done a lot for this team, Honored with a Pro Bowl berth and named the NFC's starting SS in his debut in the all-star game...Notched career-high 8 interceptions in 2003 to rank 3rd in the NFC...Has started all 32 games as a Viking, including the past 23 as SS...Led the Vikings in tackles in 2003 with a career-best 108...His 8 interceptions in 2003 matched his previous 5 seasons combined...Named the NFC Defensive Player of the Week for his performance at Green Bay (9/7/03) in the season opener when he picked off Brett Favre twice, his 1st career multi-interception game...Has returned 2 career interceptions for TDs, both coming against the Detroit Lions in 2002 and 2003...Has posted an interception against the Detroit Lions in the past 4 games against the NFC North rivals...Since coming to the Vikings in 2002 he has posted 7 interceptions in 12 games against NFC North opponents...Durable player who has seen action in 93 of a possible 96 career regular-season games in his 6 NFL seasons...Started at RCB for Arizona in 1998 Divisional Playoff game vs. Minnesota at Metrodome...Reunited at Pro Bowl with former Cardinals teammate and mentor Aeneas Williams of St. Louis, the NFC's starter at FS for the game.

2002 Tabbed as a starter for the Pro Bowl and delivered in the game with an interception off NFL Co-MVP Peyton Manning in the 4th quarter, helping the NFC post a 55-52 win...Teamed with FS Brian Russell to set a Vikings record for most interceptions by a duo with 17, breaking the mark of 16 set by Paul Krause and Bobby Bryant in 1975...His 8 interceptions on the season tied for the 4th-best single-season performance by a Viking...Named NFC Defensive Player of the Week for season opener at Green Bay (9/7)...Ranked 3rd on the team with 143 interception return yards...Helped the Vikings lead the NFC and ranked 2nd only to Super Bowl champions New England with 28 team interceptions...Key element in the Vikings ranking 2nd in the NFC with a +11 turnover ratio...Notched career-high 15 passes defensed on the season...Suffered sprained knee in season opener but returned to play the following week in home opener vs. Chicago (9/14)...Set career-high with 16 tackles at Oakland (11/16) with 12 solos...Led team in tackles 3 times on the season, at Atlanta (10/5), vs. NY Giants (10/26) and at Oakland (11/16)...Returned a Joey Harrington interception for 32 yards and a TD vs. Detroit (9/21), his lone score of the season. He joined CB Brian Williams in intercepting Harrington for a TD on back-to-back plays...Notched season-long interception return vs. San Francisco (9/28), taking a Jeff Garcia pass back 39 yards...Posted 2 interceptions against Green Bay's Brett Favre in the season opener at Lambeau Field and another in the Packers game at the Metrodome (11/2), the first time in his career he had intercepted the Packers QB.

2002 Posted 1st career interception return for a TD at Detroit (12/29), picking off Mike McMahon and returning it 43 yards for a 2nd quarter score...Recorded 1st career sack after catching Aaron Brooks in the 1st quarter at New Orleans (12/15)...Also added 6 tackles and a tackle for loss at New Orleans (12/15)...Notched 7 tackles the previous week at Green Bay (12/8)...Recorded season-high 9 tackles at New England (11/24)...Made 1st career start at safety vs. Green Bay (11/17), and recorded 6 tackles and 2 passes defensed...Led Vikings DB's with 7 tackles and a pass defensed at NY Jets (10/20)...Helped preserve Vikings 1st win of the season vs. Detroit (10/13), intercepting Joey Harrington's pass in the end zone with 22 seconds remaining...Also added 5 tackles, a tackle for loss and a pass defense vs. Detroit (10/13)...Notched 1st interception as a Viking vs. Carolina (9/22), picking off Rodney Peete in the 1st quarter

He comes up with big plays when we need it. I will be very upset if he is let go. He is a probowl Saftey that gets at least 80 tackles for us every year. Sharper is good, but we need depth. Chavous knows the system. I'm tired of canning players that have played solid but for some reason do not light up people's playstation 2.

Del Rio, good job with the analysis but a lot of what you said is repeated. I think we agree that Chavious is welcomed to play at Minn. I never said anything against his physicality of playing the game or his durability. The only thing I did is compare the 2 players (Sharper and Chavious). If you want to dig, Sharper has 7 career TDs (5 INTs and 2 FRs). I don't know what honors he has b/c I really don't care since he was a Packer. All I'm saying is I want CC to stay and I don't see him getting more money than he already is. As much as I hate to admit it, Sharper's career is more impressive. The good news is they are on the same team now and hopefully will be playing besides each other. By the way Chavious was on a couple of pretty good defensive teams at Arizona. The team may have sucked but there D wasn't too bad. We do need depth and I really believe we have it now. People say Sharper lost a step or 2 last year and he declined. If you ask me he's been pretty consistent when you compare him to CC 8 INTs down to just 1 and besides the year he had 8 his best was 3. Again I will never criticize his ability to tackle or his durability. To me this year is his put up or shut up year and I hope he puts up.

Paulbedy59 is offline Coordinator

I,m trying to remember,wasn,t Chavious drafted as a corner?
    If winning isn,t everything,why keep score?

Del Rio Guest

Frankly I could care less what Sharper did 7 years ago. Let alone any of his past. It is what is he going to do for us now? Coming off one of his worse seasons?

And I am not confident his role will be all that impressive. There is money to be spent. I do not disagree with him wanting more. And again I do not forsee him holding out.

I guess they could try and trade him. But Darius is not my cup of tea. All opinions of course.

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

I love Chavous and hope he will show up for training camp.. with or without a new contract.. He is a solid player.. and some people said he productivity dropped last year, that was because he was constintly up near the line trying to help with the run.. with a better all around team he will be able to play his position.. If push comes to shove Offord is also a solid player and wouldnt mind having him start

Del Rio Guest

"Paulbedy59" wrote:
    I,m trying to remember,wasn,t Chavious drafted as a corner?
    Yeah pretty much. He played corner in college. He was drafted in 1998 by the cards and played along side Aneus Williams.

Del Rio Guest

"Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:
    I love Chavous and hope he will show up for training camp.. with or without a new contract.. He is a solid player.. and some people said he productivity dropped last year, that was because he was constintly up near the line trying to help with the run.. with a better all around team he will be able to play his position.. If push comes to shove Offord is also a solid player and wouldnt mind having him start
    I completely agree, he was out of his element and yet he still performed. People who didn't pay much attention before were spoiled in 2003, playing under a very free lance and agressive cord. our DB's played very well. Now they get flip flopped into an extreemly conservative style and suffer the learning curve and they need to be booted?

Because superstar so and so is way cool! In my opinion pay him what he is worth and I think we cannot afford to lose him.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast