Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    skogs02 is offline Starter

Williamson..Over/Under?

I was reading a football magazine the other day and they had Williamson averaging over 17 yards per catch but had him catching only about 30 balls.How many do you guys think he will catch?? Over/Under 30?I myself would like to say over...

canadian_vikes_fan is offline Hall of Famer

Re: Williamson..Over/Under?

Do you mean the entire season??

I sure hope he gets more than 30! In college, he didn't catch all that much cuz he was in a really big running offence. Now, he's in an offence that promises to be run-oriented I believe, but I think with Pep and some of the other receivers we have, we've gotta still be throwing quite a bit - way more than Troy was used to in college.

Thanks PPE for the sig.

JDogg926 is offline Star Spokesman

I wouldn't be surprised if he only caught 35-40 balls this season. A lot of people seem to have Randy Moss expectations for this guy. Very few rookies have that kind of impact. If he catches 35-40 balls for 500-600 yards and scores more than 5 TD's as our 3rd leading receiver, that's not too bad. I think Taylor will step up, Burleson will duplicate his production from last year, and Robinson and Campbell will stay involved, not to mention Moore, Kleinsasser, Wiggins, and Williams and possibly even Bennett and Fason, all catching passes as well. That means we don't really need Williamson to have a pro bowl season for him to contribute in a very positive way.

Yes, it would be nice to see him duplicate Moss's rookie season, but that's not very likely.
    542cbf305f333b0554e8ffa937f852d6

DarrinNelsonguy is offline Team Alumni

I say over 30 but I don't see him catching more than 50 balls this season because rookies just do not have that big of impact.
    "Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn t work hard."

"JDogg926" wrote:
    I wouldn't be surprised if he only caught 35-40 balls this season. A lot of people seem to have Randy Moss expectations for this guy. Very few rookies have that kind of impact. If he catches 35-40 balls for 500-600 yards and scores more than 5 TD's as our 3rd leading receiver, that's not too bad. I think Taylor will step up, Burleson will duplicate his production from last year, and Robinson and Campbell will stay involved, not to mention Moore, Kleinsasser, Wiggins, and Williams and possibly even Bennett and Fason, all catching passes as well. That means we don't really need Williamson to have a pro bowl season for him to contribute in a very positive way.

Yes, it would be nice to see him duplicate Moss's rookie season, but that's not very likely.
    I agree that we can't expect Troy to duplicate Moss's rookie year. But 30 catches is not really all that much. 30 catches last year would've put him 5th on the team, just ahead of Kelly Campbell, who had 19. 30 catches is what Jerry Rice caught in 6 games this year. I think we can expect Troy to do better than that. I think reasonable expectations for him would be to have a similar year to what Marcus Robinson did last year.

47 rec 657 yds 8 tds

maybe a little less than this. Like you said, rookie receivers don't usually have a big impact their first year. But I think that has a lot to do with the fact that the really good ones go in the top 10 usually to really crappy teams, and the ones that are drafted in the last 20 aren't usually at the same level. I think when you have the second best receiver in the class (according to when they were taken) and he goes to THE best team in the NFL, our expectations can be a little higher than usual.

Thanks PPE for the sig.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"skogs02" wrote:
    I was reading a football magazine the other day and they had Williamson averaging over 17 yards per catch but had him catching only about 30 balls.How many do you guys think he will catch?? Over/Under 30?I myself would like to say over...
    I would be happy with that if it meant that he was in there enough to stretch the defense and open up the middle for Burleson, Taylor, Robinson, Wiggens and Kleinsasser to move the chains!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

"skogs02" wrote:

43 catches for 712 yards and 7 TD's for troy this year, not a yard/catch/Td more or less. :grin:

Definitely over 30, but not by a lot.

rec yds td lng
    Burleson 79 1131 11 57
    Taylor 58 897 9 54
    Wiggins 41 506 4 29
    Williamson 37 594 7 72
    Robinson 31 424 6 38
    Moore 22 294 2 37
    Campbell 19 303 2 55
    JimmyK 18 223 2 19
    Bennett 16 223 1 64
    Williams 12 186 1 32
    Howry 7 69 0 16
    Berton 2 10 0 9
    Fason 2 9 0 6
    344 4869 45

These IMO, are prety realistic, maybe a little high for some, low for others, expectations. Culpepper loves to spread the ball so we should see a lot of different guys stepping up catching passes week to week.

It's pretty hard to predict the longest pass that they are gonna get! But yeah, those look pretty realistic. I would be happy with Troy's numbers, but what's really important, is that he's learning from the coaches and improving throughout the course of the year.

Thanks PPE for the sig.

"canadian_vikes_fan" wrote:
    It's pretty hard to predict the longest pass that they are gonna get! But yeah, those look pretty realistic. I would be happy with Troy's numbers, but what's really important, is that he's learning from the coaches and improving throughout the course of the year.
    Yes, you're right, I jsut wanted to point out the fact that I see Troy being the deep threat and breaking at least a couple long pass plays. I also see Bennett breaking a screen pass.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast