Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Prophet Guest

Re: Williamson may remain inactive

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "Del Rio" wrote:
    You don't learn by sitting and watching.
    We do. All we do is sit and watch the games...then we come here and we are experts. :lol:
    How true, the Vikings would never be able to afford all the expertise on this site. We know how to resolve any issue on the team. Give us an issue, we'll resolve it. Guaranteed.

Big C is offline Coordinator

I like Tice taking a firm stand on this. The other 4 receivers are currently contributing more than Troy. He will be better next year.
    Halo 4. Start another fight.

Freya is offline Team Alumni

"Del Rio" wrote:
    You don't learn by sitting and watching.

If he's missing practice it matters. If he's missing practice when he shouldn't be like Tice said he did, then it becomes a major problem.
    Learning by watching trains the mental circuits. It should be practiced regularly. Particularly if lacking in the ability to do so. That has been my experience in a physical career.

Personally, I don't think there is intelligent life on other planets. Why should other planets be any different from this one?

Del Rio Guest

If the coaches want to wait around for 4 years so he can learn what he needs to then fine, but you cannot substitute actually participation in this contact sport. I wont say that someone can't learn by not participating. Looking at things on paper and then stepping onto the field and trying to piece it together are two different things.

You NEED to practice. You need to be on the field dressed and seeing things.

If your hurt you do what you can until your good enough to practice. The point is why in the hell is our #1 draft pick skipping practice without permission? Obviously Tice is pissed and he should be.

Freya is offline Team Alumni

"Del Rio" wrote:
    If the coaches want to wait around for 4 years so he can learn what he needs to then fine, but you cannot substitute actually participation in this contact sport. I wont say that someone can't learn by not participating. Looking at things on paper and then stepping onto the field and trying to piece it together are two different things.

You NEED to practice. You need to be on the field dressed and seeing things.

If your hurt you do what you can until your good enough to practice. The point is why in the hell is our #1 draft pick skipping practice without permission? Obviously Tice is pissed and he should be.
    I agree and perhaps I took what you said the wrong way.

Williamson made a very poor decision not showing up for practice at least to watch. While he is unable to suit up for the game, he should still be at practice watching and learning. There are plenty of things he could pick up for practical application once he is healed.

Tice is handling the situation correctly IMO.

Personally, I don't think there is intelligent life on other planets. Why should other planets be any different from this one?

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

From The Grand Forks Herald;

Posted on Thu, Dec. 01, 2005

[size=18px]VIKINGS NOTEBOOK: Tice says Williamson will play this week[/size]

By Dave Campbell
    Associated Press

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. - After indicating two days ago that rookie Troy Williamson would probably be inactive again this weekend, Minnesota coach Mike Tice confirmed Wednesday that the first-round draft pick will play in Sunday's game at Detroit.

Williamson had a sprained shoulder that bothered him last week in practice and was one of the reasons why he didn't dress for the first time in his NFL career. The training staff had declared him healthy enough to participate against Cleveland, though. Tice decided that he'd rather suit up eight offensive linemen among the limit of 45 active players than five receivers, so Williamson was the odd man out.

But part of the problem, too, stemmed from a miscommunication last week when Tice thought athletic trainer Chuck Barta told Williamson not to practice and Barta believed Tice told the rookie to sit out.

"At the end of practice, we compared notes, and Troy told himself not to practice," Tice said. "When he checked out Wednesday, I shut him down for the week."

Williamson has 20 catches for 292 yards and two touchdowns this year.

No Smoot

The Vikings have ruled cornerback Fred Smoot (broken collarbone) out for this week, meaning that he will miss his fourth straight game. Defensive tackle Kevin Williams, though listed as doubtful on the injury report, is also out - for at least two weeks - because of a sprained knee he suffered in Sunday's game. And guard Toniu Fonoti (strained groin) does not appear close to returning anytime soon, either. But defensive lineman Spencer Johnson, who can play tackle and end, is probable this week after missing six of the past seven games with an injured knee.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Contradictary to the previous article, Tice has changed his mind on troy & will activate Lewinski;

Posted on Sat, Dec. 03, 2005

[size=18px]Williamson is the odd man out[/size]

Eight offensive linemen will be active against Lions
    BY DON SEEHOLZER
    Pioneer Press

With an inexperienced left guard going against a Pro Bowl defensive tackle, Vikings coach Mike Tice has decided to keep former starter Chris Liwienski active as an eighth offensive lineman Sunday in Detroit.

The Vikings' Anthony Herrera will make his second start at left guard, and he will have to face the Lions' Shaun Rogers.

With seven defensive linemen also active for the Vikings, that leaves room for just four wide receivers, which means No. 1 draft choice Troy Williamson will be out for the second consecutive week.

Williamson expressed some frustration at that news Friday, while admitting he erred last week when he took himself out of the team's Wednesday practice because of a sore right shoulder.

"That was a rookie mistake on my part," he said. "But the way I see it, if you're not going to play me anyway, it shouldn't make any difference."

Williamson, the Vikings' fifth-leading receiver with 20 catches for 292 yards and two touchdowns, said he's not sure what he has to do to get back on the field but is eager to do so.

"As soon as I get my chance to do that, I'll be able to do that," he said. "Right now, I feel like I'm in a bad position. To be honest with you, I really don't know what's going on."

Safety in numbers: While expressing confidence in Herrera, Tice said he believed he needed to have Liwienski in reserve against the Lions' defensive tackle tandem of Rogers and Dan Wilkinson.

"Herrera's played one game," Tice said. "Chris has played well against Detroit over the years and battled in there against those big guys. My decision to go with eight was based on Herrera playing last week against a 3-4 front and not really being tested with any type of size and having to go up against those two big studs. I want to make sure I have a good veteran in my hip pocket."

Herrera said he knows he'll have his hands full with Rogers, but the second-year player is ready to give it his best shot.

"I've got big boy over me," Herrera said. "It's going to be a challenge. It's the NFL, so every week is a challenge, but he's special. He's a Pro Bowler. You put the film on and look at him, and he demands your respect."

Chandler hurting: Wide receivers coach Wes Chandler missed practice because of abdominal pains that could affect his availability for Sunday's game.

Trainer Chuck Barta said Chandler had a doctor's appointment Friday afternoon but was expected to make the trip.

Fonoti to IR: As expected, the Vikings placed guard Toniu Fonoti on season-ending injured reserve and signed defensive end Eric Taylor off their practice squad.

Fonoti, who was acquired in an Oct. 18 trade with San Diego for a seventh-round draft choice, appeared in just one game for the Vikings, starting the Nov. 21 win at Green Bay at left guard but lasting less than one half before suffering a groin injury.

Fonoti was still working himself into game condition and learning the offense when Tice named him to start ahead of Liwienski, but Tice wouldn't second-guess the timing of that decision.

"I don't think we rushed him at all," he said. "He hurt his groin because he hadn't played. He was here with us for about a month. There was no concern about his conditioning. The concern was his hand (injury). He was dominant in practice. We were looking to make a change. In all reality, Anthony deserved a chance also, but Fonoti looked so intimidating and so imposing in practice, we felt like that might be a good shakeup for us. It turned out he played solid, but he got hurt."

Fonoti, who is in the last year of his contract, had no comment about the IR move or his future with the Vikings, but Tice said he would like to have him back next season.

"I would really like to work with him in the offseason," Tice said. "I think we could do some things to help him. To put in a year in our offseason program and a hard training camp would be excellent for him. He's got tremendous feet for a big guy. As big and as smart and as tough as he is, we could do wonders with that."

Briefly: Defensive end Lance Johnstone was fined $5,000 by the NFL for a roughing-the-passer penalty on Cleveland quarterback Trent Dilfer.

• Kicker Paul Edinger got the day off, as scheduled, to rest his sore right foot, but he will play Sunday.

• Defensive lineman Spencer Johnson made it through the full week of practice and will return Sunday after missing the last three games because of a knee injury.

Don Seeholzer can be reached at [email protected]

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

Wow...this is kind of depressing. It's amazing how a player can slip into Tice's dog house so quickly and not be heard of for the rest of the season (AKA Kelly Campball and MeMo last year). Williamson doesn't seem very motivated to get his job back though. He should be out there busting his ass trying to get his spot.

"ltrey33" wrote:
    Wow...this is kind of depressing. It's amazing how a player can slip into Tice's dog house so quickly and not be heard of for the rest of the season (AKA Kelly Campball and MeMo last year). Williamson doesn't seem very motivated to get his job back though. He should be out there busting his jiggly butt trying to get his spot.
    I don't believe he's in the doghouse. He was activated earlier this week, but Tice decided he needed an extra veteran lineman as insurance.

As the article states, unfortunately T-Will is just the odd man out.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

T-Will will be a star in this league, give him sometime!

Just be glad we do not have Mike Williams, he is a bust so far in Detroit. He is really slow, his work ethics is really bad, he is missing meetings and has a huge attitude problem. At least Troy is a good young man, he will be around for a long time!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast