Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    jmmcgorman is offline Rookie

Is Williamson a first round flop? Or a victim?

I wonder, do you guys think that Troy is a first round flop?
    Or do you think that the multiple team changes and coaches and offensive systems being new are keeping him from growing into that number one?
    My only problem is that in your second year you shouldn't be dropping that many passes.
    In an article i read it said that troy was leading the league in dropped passes.
    This was a couple of games back.
    A couple receivers to look at:
    Randy Moss- first year 98- receiving yards- 1313 TD 17

second year 99- yards- 1413 td 11
    Torry Hold- first year- 788 td 6

second- 1635 td 6
    Chad Johnson- second year- 1166 yards td 5
    Anquan Boldin- rookie year- 1377 yards td 8
    Larry Fitzgerald- rookie- 780 td 8

second year- 1409 td 10
    Koren Robinson- second year- 1240 yards

Troy williamson is now in his second year, caught 318 yards and no touchdowns.
    What is going on?
    Do you guys think it is just going to take time?
    Or should we be more upset at the fact that when krob went away, that we didn't step up and get another receiver?

Johnson cant throw to wiggins and chester every play.
    Because when he throws it to troy, it hits him in the head, and when he throws it to travis taylor, if he barely gets touched that ball is going to fly out of there.

I just want to know if i am the only one who thinks our receiver situation is in big trouble.

Del Rio Guest

Re: Is Williamson a first round flop? Or a victim?

I don't know if you can call him a flop many people here who really follow the draft and college teams told us he can't hold onto the ball. It has been known before he even entered the NFL.

I think Tice said you can teach a guy to catch but you can't teach speed or something.

So maybe more time is all he needs, and maybe a QB who can get him the ball faster?

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"jmmcgorman" wrote:
    ...I just want to know if i am the only one who thinks our receiver situation is in big trouble.
    If you spend about four seconds looking at some of the other threads you would see that you are not alone.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I don't know if you can call him a flop yet.
    He isn't in the same class as the six players you mentioned, but he is in his second year with a weak offense.

Our offense in general is in big trouble, not just Williams.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Gift is offline Coordinator

Not a flop just yet. well maybe.
    He still has time to prove his worth but he has a long way to go.
    I call him "Mr. Whoopsies" whenever he is involved with a play.
    http://www.purplepride.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6169&dateline=1318052  159

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"Del" wrote:
    I don't know if you can call him a flop many people here who really follow the draft and college teams told us he can't hold onto the ball. It has been known before he even entered the NFL.

I think Tice said you can teach a guy to catch but you can't teach speed or something.

So maybe more time is all he needs, and maybe a QB who can get him the ball faster?
    The only guy that I remember talking about TW was a homer from SC that had been to every game and was telling us that TW was the BOMB.

But I definitelty can believe it cause we are seeing it right now!

WR is not about speed and catching alone.
    It is about being cunning.
    Set your guy up with your threat of speed and get open.
    The catching and speed should just be a given for a WR.

TW needs a lot of practice........

This is his first year in this offense.
    I will give him next year to improve before dismissing the guy.
    This year, he should get all the terms down and without injuries, he should be able to improve(refine) his skill this offseason.
    Let us all HOPE!

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

I think its still to early to put a verdict out on Troy.You show some quality WRs with that list, but theres also some names not on that list who took more then 2 years to develope.Most notabley, Steve Smith.Take a look at Santana Moss, the guy didnt really come around fully till his third year.In his second year he put up 433 yards and 4 TDs.I think Troy is on pace for those kind of numbers this year.

Smaller WRs IMO have a harder time becoming threats in the NFL.

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

VikemanX84 is offline Hall of Famer

I think he is making strides. Like Del said, we knew he had raw ability and skill. He has a good verticle and of course amazing speed.
    We knew he was going to be a 1-2 project guy, kind of like Javon Walker.
    I think his numbers would be better with a better quarterback but if he can just learn to find the ball he could be a weapon.

I think, in the midst of all the drops, people forget that he is open. Step 1 is getting open and he may do that better than any WR we have.
    Step 2 is catching the ball. Step 3 is YAC.
    He has shown great ability with step 1 and 3 and if he can get step 2 down he could be a force in the NFL.
    Maybe we should get Cris Carter in here to help him out.
    When it s all said and done, you ll have to admit we re number 1!

Del Rio Guest

"VikemanX84" wrote:
    I think he is making strides. Like Del said, we knew he had raw ability and skill. He has a good verticle and of course amazing speed.
    We knew he was going to be a 1-2 project guy, kind of like Javon Walker.
    I think his numbers would be better with a better quarterback but if he can just learn to find the ball he could be a weapon.

I think, in the midst of all the drops, people forget that he is open. Step 1 is getting open and he may do that better than any WR we have.
    Step 2 is catching the ball. Step 3 is YAC.
    He has shown great ability with step 1 and 3 and if he can get step 2 down he could be a force in the NFL.
    Maybe we should get Cris Carter in here to help him out.
    That's a great point the guy can get open. That seems to be the hardest part at that level.

SIA, I know there were at least three people who are bigtime draft guys that said he had bad hands. They really did not bag on the pick at all I just remember them discussing it and getting butt pounded because people thought they were against T-Will.

Braddock is offline Hall of Famer

I said this before: He can catch the ball, especially all those one handers thrown behind him, especially that big one vs. Carolina, and I saw one in the Pat's game too. All he needs is seperation. He's not one to catch a ball with a defender breathing down his neck. If we gave him the routes that would give him some seperation, he would be catching a lot more passes, guaranteed. You will have dropped passes, even TO, the greatest blah blah blah has a lot of dropped passes. Once we get a quarterback who can throw deep, leaving defenses to wonder and make them respect the run more, it'll give Williamson enough space to make those catches. Don't give up on him. He's good and he's hella fast.
    Trying to bring rationale to an irrational site

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast