Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Williams' trial & updates

[size=18px]Williams' trial begins today[/size]

For the first time, the public may hear the boat employees' accounts.

David Chanen, Star Tribune
    Last update: April 19, 2006 – 12:09 AM

Erika Chepokas had worked more than 500 boat cruises on Lake Minnetonka, but she told detectives that the days after bartending on the now-infamous Minnesota Vikings cruise six months ago were "great hell for me."

"I couldn't get the images out of my head. I was just flying, I felt completely violated," she said in investigative documents obtained by the Star Tribune. "I don't think of myself as the most innocent person that has ever lived, but I felt like a lot of my innocence had been taken from me."

Chepokas is one of three crew members whose descriptions of players involved in lap dances, oral sex and lewd conduct are documented in police reports.

If the women are called as witnesses in today's trial of former Viking Moe Williams, it would be the first time since the Oct. 6 cruise that any boat employee has spoken publicly about what happened.

Chepokas, 23, who had worked for Al & Alma's Restaurant and Cruises for two years, didn't see the incident in which Williams allegedly touched the breast of a woman during a lap dance in a lower level of the boat, but she talked about feeling intimidated as he continually shut off lights around her bar.

"I know it's ridiculous, but when I lie in bed I'm afraid that they're gonna -- those Vikings players are going to like come through my sliding glass door," she told investigators.

The charges against former Vikings quarterback Daunte Culpepper were dismissed two weeks ago, but Williams and Vikings Bryant McKinnie and Fred Smoot face misdemeanor charges of indecent conduct, disorderly conduct and lewd or lascivious conduct.

Williams lost a pretrial motion to have his charges dismissed for lack of evidence or selective prosecution because two white people who allegedly committed a sexual crime on the boat weren't charged. Williams is black. He admitted in the hearing that he received a lap dance but said he couldn't have touched the woman because he had objects in both hands.

The six jurors needed for Williams' trial were selected Tuesday and a juror questionnaire was made public. The document lists three Hennepin County Sheriff's Office employees, Chepokas, two other Al & Alma's employees and co-owner Meritt Geyen as potential witnesses.

The party thrown by Vikings players took place on two chartered boats. The evening cruise drew about 90 guests, including strippers flown in from out of state for the event.

Smoot has been charged with using sex toys and McKinnie is accused of performing oral sex in front of stunned crew members. The boat captains cut the cruise short because of the activities.

Chepokas, crew member Jamie Lyons and attorney Stephen Doyle, who represents the cruise company, couldn't be reached to comment Tuesday. Another crew member, Jamie Palm, declined to comment. At the end of each interview with detectives, the women said they would be willing to testify if the case went to trial.

In her interview, Chepokas said she was asked at the last minute to work the cruise. She talked about the skimpy outfits some of the invited guests changed into. Then some got completely naked, she said.

Chepokas believed most of the men she could see received lap dances. Some were telling the women to do specific sexual acts and were making derogatory comments toward them, she said.

At one point, Williams kept trying to shut off the lights near her bar. She told him she wouldn't be able to pour drinks, and after saying no a few times, he threw a $100 bill in a tip jar and said, "The lights are going off." In his pretrial hearing, he testified that he noticed a bartender shielding her eyes and that he told her to dim the lights.

Palm, 21, who has worked for Al & Alma's for seven years, said there were times she felt uncomfortable during the cruise. She graphically described several of the lap dances and needing to go out and get fresh air because she was feeling claustrophobic "just being in there with so many people and having to deal with what was going on."

"But I didn't feel personally threatened," she said. "I'm sure other people did, but personally I didn't." Asked if there were a lot of drunk people, she replied, "Oh yeah."

When Lyons saw some of the female guests stripping on the boat, she asked herself if it was legal. She told detectives she saw Williams touching the bare breast of a woman near a downstairs bathroom.

"I had to walk past them to check the soda pop up front of the boat, so I saw firsthand what was going on," said Lyons, 20. She told detectives she couldn't sleep that night and called her boyfriend crying at 5 a.m.

"The next night was about the same, couldn't sleep, just couldn't forget the thoughts, I pretty much cried all day," she said. "Were we supposed to be involved in this? That's how I was feeling."

David Chanen • 612-673-4465

Williams' trial begins today

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Prophet Guest

Re: Williams' trial begins today

KFFL
    NFL | Police and courts: M. Williams
    Tue, 18 Apr 2006 17:21:45 -0700

David Chanen, of the Star Tribune, reports jury selection began in the misdemeanor trial of free agent RB Moe Williams (Vikings) Tuesday, April 18. Opening statements in Williams' trial are expected Wednesday, April 19. Six jurors are needed for a misdemeanor case.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"espn.com" wrote:
    Opening statements given in Williams' 'love boat' trial
    Associated Press

MINNEAPOLIS -- There was little dispute in court Wednesday about what running back Moe Williams did on a raunchy cruise with several other Minnesota Vikings players, but his attorney questioned whether it was a crime.

Attorneys gave opening statements in the indecency case against Williams and the first witness was called late Wednesday morning in Hennepin County District Court.

Prosecutor Steve Tallen said he would show that Williams touched a woman's breasts while the two danced in view of other people on a boat cruise on Lake Minnetonka in October.

Defense lawyer Joe Friedberg told the jury Williams' conduct was not a crime. Friedberg told jurors that, "Mr. Williams was having a good time with a woman who was 100 percent consenting."

Four women and three men are on the jury.

Williams was one of four Vikings originally charged with indecent conduct, disorderly conduct and lewd or lascivious conduct. Charges against former Vikings quarterback Daunte Culpepper have been dropped, but Vikings tackle Bryant McKinnie and cornerback Fred Smoot are scheduled to go on trial in May.

The scandal was the lowest point in a dismal season for the Vikings, who lost Culpepper to a serious knee injury soon afterward.

He was traded to Miami for a second-round pick after his relationship with the team and new head coach Brad Childress deteriorated in the offseason.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

These employees act like they've never seen anything like what happened on the boat...fercrissakes, they are BARTENDERS!!! Those guys see us all at our worst...just ask Polo!!! :lol:
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Gift is offline Coordinator

"singersp" wrote:
    Vikings cruise six months ago were "great hell for me."

"I couldn't get the images out of my head. I was just flying, I felt completely violated"

"I felt like a lot of my innocence had been taken from me."

"I know it's ridiculous, but when I lie in bed I'm afraid that they're gonna -- those Vikings players are going to like come through my sliding glass door"

She told detectives she couldn't sleep that night and called her boyfriend crying at 5 a.m.

"The next night was about the same, couldn't sleep, just couldn't forget the thoughts, I pretty much cried all day," she said. "Were we supposed to be involved in this? That's how I was feeling."
    The dumbest comments I've ever read. Grow the fuck up!
    http://www.purplepride.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6169&dateline=1318052  159

Blog Entries

"I know it's ridiculous, but when I lie in bed I'm afraid that they're gonna -- those Vikings players are going to like come through my sliding glass door," she told investigators.

:roll: Excuse me while I get my hip boots on. Didn't know the witness statements contained quite this much bull shit. Come on lady, if you are going to try and fake some kind of PTSD as a result of the party, at least do some research and make it believable.

Don't get me wrong... The actions of the Vikings were deplorable, but this sounds like someone gearing up for a civil suit. In the end its all about the money... Just MHO.

In another note, 'McKinnie is accused of performing oral sex in front of stunned crew members'. Talk about the biggest loser in all of this. Come on, he went down on a stripper. ukeright:
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    In another note, 'McKinnie is accused of performing oral sex in front of stunned crew members'. Talk about the biggest loser in all of this. Come on, he went down on a stripper. ukeright:
    hehe..awesome :razz:
    http://www.purplepride.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6169&dateline=1318052  159

Blog Entries

"Gift" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

"I couldn't get the images out of my head. I was just flying, I felt completely violated"

"I know it's ridiculous, but when I lie in bed I'm afraid that they're gonna -- those Vikings players are going to like come through my sliding glass door"

She told detectives she couldn't sleep that night and called her boyfriend crying at 5 a.m.

The dumbest comments I've ever read. Grow the F!!ck up!
    Those quotes were from two different girls. The first set of quotes is pretty lame, I agree. But the second one has a ring of truth to it. She isn't claiming to have "lost her innocence" like the first one. I bet to an unexpecting 20 YOA girl, seeing any type of live sex could leave you a little rattled for a couple of days.
    Zeus wrote:

=Z=

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "Gift" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

The dumbest comments I've ever read. Grow the F!!ck up!
    Those quotes were from two different girls. The first set of quotes is pretty lame, I agree. But the second one has a ring of truth to it. She isn't claiming to have "lost her innocence" like the first one. I bet to an unexpecting 20 YOA girl, seeing any type of live sex could leave you a little rattled for a couple of days.
    maybe I was a little hard on the second girl but come on, watching people fool around makes you cry all night & the next day? I new 13 year olds (growing up) more hardcore than her. A little while back on my way home from work I witnessed a hobo getting a BJ from another hobo in the middle of downtown. I didn't lose sleep over it, it was kinda the highlight of my day. Seems to me how people handle the situation emotionally should be irrelevant to court proceedings.

Slade is offline Star Spokesman

C'mon Moe, plead da fith! 1,2,3,4........5!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast