Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    drewlovs is offline Asst. Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    New England benefits from playing in a cupcake division. They also have a great QB but their refusal to add key players has hurt the team. They aren't hitting on draft picks like they were before. They also sign their fair share of players ( Talib for example). Greenbay is suffering from the same problem. Built a great team but refusing to sign a few quality players is keeping them out the show.
    The salary cap is doing that, not refusing to use free agency. Good teams are constantly fighting to keep the talent they cultivate BECAUSE of free agency. I really have mixed feelings in regards to FA, because it has really changed the game, and not always for the better. Sometimes, but for every solution it presents, there is a new challenge.

If we can pull another solid draft this year, this time focusing on 2 LBs, another CB/safety and a QB (of course!!), we should have a quality team playing for the next 2-3 years. Well, that is if we get a new coaching staff.

I heard rumors Frazier isn't definitely out, probably because of the improved play we have been seeing; hopefully the Bengals put an end to that particular pipe dream. Spielman is a lock for next season, and since the Wilfs are sticking by him, I really hope they give him a chance to pick a coach that HE thinks will put the product on the field he envisions. That is, after all, the reason you HAVE a GM.
    Men are moved by two levers only: fear and self interest.

~Napoleon Bonaparte on Politics

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    New England benefits from playing in a cupcake division. They also have a great QB but their refusal to add key players has hurt the team. They aren't hitting on draft picks like they were before. They also sign their fair share of players ( Talib for example). Greenbay is suffering from the same problem. Built a great team but refusing to sign a few quality players is keeping them out the show.
    Yeah, I get that but in the end that is how they built the team and that is how I think we need to do it as well. Once you have a championship caliber team and have actually done something then yes, it may be a good idea to add a player or 2 a year to bolster the roster.

That being said the alternative of hitting FA and signing every high dollar player to bloated contracts has never led to a sustainable, successful team as far as I am aware of unless you can return the favor and rattle off a few that I am not aware of.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    And a pile of injuries. Both of those teams have been missing key contributors all year. But for the most part, I agree with you. The Pats could have really used one key, vet WR that isn't injured all the time like Amendola has been. And the Pack could really use some better depth all along the OL.

The other thing is, we have some positions where a mid-grade FA could be an upgrade on both what we have, and what we can draft in the spring...and without breaking the bank. Nickel back and MLB come to mind...a bit of experience is often needed when trying to cover the middle routes, because there is not only more options to run, but crossing and clearing and screens etc. Maybe an upgrade at OG as well.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    Yeah, I get that but in the end that is how they built the team and that is how I think we need to do it as well. Once you have a championship caliber team and have actually done something then yes, it may be a good idea to add a player or 2 a year to bolster the roster.

That being said the alternative of hitting FA and signing every high dollar player to bloated contracts has never led to a sustainable, successful team as far as I am aware of unless you can return the favor and rattle off a few that I am not aware of.
    Oh i know it's not sustainable to hit the maret for every high price FA. I believe in avoiding the extremely high price guy but targeting a few quality players without the huge name. Maybe bring in positions that aren''t that highly paid. Safety and MLB comes to mind. These guys are paid peanuts compared to WRs and QB.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12